CMP 1911s: Sent in your application?

Grayfox54

I'm just curious if anybody else has sent in an application packet to buy a CMP 1911? 

I had originally thought that I'd let this year pass and wait to see the guns people actually got. However, I now find that those names who don't make the cut this year will be rolled over to next year in the same order they were picked.  Presumably, this will continue for following years. Simply put, if you're number 8001 this year, you'll be number 1 next year. 

I'm thinking that CMP will get more than enough applications to fill orders for at least the next several years. So its best to get on the list now. My packet went out in today's mail. 

Anybody else? 

Not I.  While I need a true GI 1911 my head is slowly starting to take control of my wants.  From the pics I’ve seen I simply will not be happy with an 80’s reparked specimen. Plus, I really don’t want to go through the hassle.

Good luck to you though.  Hope you make the cut and look forward to seeing what you get!

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

The process of the CMP and the cost have made me lose interest.

What about the price turns you off?  I’ve seen plenty of grumbling about that on the CMP forum and elsewhere but where else can you find an unadulterated, well semi-unadulterated as they’ve been reparked, USGI 1911 for 1k.  I’ve never seen one.

A grand for something that isn’t a collectable and isn’t near the quality of todays 1911’s is too much for me.

But if you want one; you should get it now. If a Democrat gets elected President you can bet the government won’t be selling handguns to citizens.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

A grand for something that isn’t a collectable and isn’t near the quality of todays 1911’s is too much for me.

But if you want one; you should get it now. If a Democrat gets elected President you can bet the government won’t be selling handguns to citizens.

How are they not collectible?  Other than the government arsenal refinish done in the 80’s or whenever, these are straight from Army storage.  The military stopped buying 1911’s in 1945*.

* we don’t need to hear about modern purchases by the Marines of finish challenged Colt’s or any other special acquisitions. Y’all know what I mean.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1

I will say that there's something special about a 100 year old 1911 that I can take to the range and shoot. If one can't appreciate it for what it is there's plenty of modern guns to choose from. I suppose collectable is in the eye of the beholder. No offense.

• Like 1

I haven’t made up my mind yet, but if I am going to submit paperwork, I know I need to do it soon. I carried a 1911 in the Marine Corps, so there is some nostalgia in owning a surplus military 1911, but I’ve got several 1911s already in different configurations, so I have to ask myself if I really need another safe queen. I’ve bought several M1 Garands from the CMP, but the requirements for purchasing the 1911s are more onerous. Most of the onerous requirements were mandated by politicians, but some were done just to appease anti-gun liberals...double background checks as one example. 

I didn't as I never fared well in the CMP lottery around condition. I have seem those are simply blessed and their Field grade shows up looking like a collector. My last 2 Garands where suppose to be Service Grade Specials with collector grade metal and arrived heavily worn, rusted, with gouges thru the metal on the receiver heels.  

They did offer to refund, which is good. In discussing, they simply had no good stock at the time nor available to offer replacements. Essentially they threw a couple in a box to fill the order without concern to grading and providing what was paid for.  Not a great business model.

I love the aspect of owning one of these 1911's, but my take away is that you dont buy from CMP sight unseen unless you are one of those folks that is charmed and have nothing but good luck in such things.  

I'm in.  Mailed off the packet a week ago.

All WWII firearms just keep appreciating.  Getting a re-arsenalled 1911 at the CMP price seems fair.  Yes, the process sucks.  

As for quality, most of the original 1911s I've seen are better quality than the stamped, cast, or plastic examples on the market now.  You have to pay a lot more than what CMP wants to buy a 1911 made that well.

Aside from the fact that the guns are historic, bear in mind that this sale itself is a historic event. This is the first time in over 50 years that the government has released 1911s for sale to the public. There are a lot of congress critters in Washington who are really pissed that this is happening. In fact, they would like to do away with the CMP all together. Its because of them that there are hoops to jump through and yearly allotments. At the current rate, there are enough pistols to keep sales going for 10 years or more. However, bear in mind that this could all change with the next election. Get 'em while you can. 

• 2 weeks later...

SonnyCrockett: Most of these guns have been through the arsenals at least once and the vast majority will be mix-masters. These are standard issue pistols. If any all original guns are found, they will no doubt go to auction for a whole lot more money. 

Besides, it appears that there will be enough applications to fill out sales for years to come. If you're even considering getting one, now is the time to put in your paperwork. If you don't like what is offered, you can always say no. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a big 1911 guy and I've dealt with the CMP in the past, but these 1911s hold no interest for me.  I already have a couple of specimens that are representative that I never shoot anyway.   I suppose it would be smart to buy a few for investment purposes but I just really don't feel like dragging myself through the process.

I though about it until I seen some of the proposed prices.  I can get a new 1911 for those prices, and I have...twice.  I'm not a collector, and since many of these will be refurbs and such, it held no interest to me unless they would have been priced half that amount, or less.

CMP 1911 pricing:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation. 

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

All pistols are inspected and test fired by the CMP. The shipping cost is included in the price.

I’m ashamed to even say this, and I don’t know how it’s happened, but I have never owned a 1911. 😐

I’ve shot several, and I’m familiar with their workings... just never had one.

I want one (well... at least one), and I think it would be sweet to kick off a new habit with a vintage CMP sample. I’ve got my fingers crossed for a Field Grade!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I got the e-mail today.

"This email is to notify you that your order has been received and you have been assigned a number through the random number generating process. You will find your number listed below. At this time, we do not have enough 1911 type pistols to complete your order. Should the Army send us another shipment of sufficient quantity, we will use those 1911 type pistols to fill the next orders in line. Please do not contact us or reply to this email at this time.

Your generated number:  10263

Thanks,
CMP 1911 Program"

Well, just my luck. No gun for me this year. :(  But I should be fairly early in next year's batch. ;)
Oh well, at least I do know for sure that I'm on the list and the paperwork is on file. Honestly, I was beginning to worry as I wasn't sure if I put enough postage on the envelope. 

I guess at this point its pretty safe to say that all of this year's allotment has been accounted for. The list will roll over and from what I understand there's no plans to take new applications for several years at least. 
Ok then. Next year it is. :rolleyes:

• Like 2