CMP 1911s: Sent in your application?

Grayfox54

1 hour ago, SonnyCrockett said:

I have seen plenty of them already now.I am glad I did not sign up to own a frankengun 

In person or on the internet?  I know the pics posted on the CMP forum are a tiny fraction of what has been shipped but many of them looked pretty good to me.  Yes, $1050 good for an authentic USGI 1911.

The guy who cares little and knows even less about actual US military weapons would not be interested in these to begin with. The average gun buyer would rather have a nice shiny new Kimber or Ruger 1911 than one of the CMP military 1911s and that is fine. To each his own. NO one who is buying these guns is expecting a museum piece. They all know they are US Property 1911A1s or 1911s upgraded to A1 spec that likely have seen service and were arsenal  rebuilt at some point .

They probably also know that some of the frames will be 80, 90,or even 100 years old at this point....the YOUNGEST ones will be 75 years old because 1944 was the last time the US military ordered 1911A1 pistols other than some tiny batches for the Marines. They also know that as they were rebuilt the armorers at the arsenals used parts from the parts bin with little care or inclination to try to  match manufacturers so many will be "mixmasters" like a Colt frame and an Ithica slide.  Having said that I have seen some that are matching frames and slides, so some buyers might get lucky in that regard.  It will most likely have been refinished in the 1980s and now be a dull gray parkerized finish. It MIGHT have a matching upper and lower but it is just as likely to not. THAT is how REAL military 1911/1911A1s were after being turned back in after WWII. 

And THAT is what the people buying these are buying them for. To have a REAL US Govt Property 1911A1 that most likely went to Europe or the Pacific , to Korea or Vietnam and was reworked afterwards in case things ever got hot with the USSR. Is it the ideal carry gun? No. But I doubt ANYONE is ordering one to carry it. There are far more logical choices that are cheaper and easier to get at your local gun store for that purpose...but those guns are not US Property 1911s and to the people ordering these guns that is far more important. 

• Like 6

They're all frankenguns! These are standard issue G.I. pistols that would be found in any soldier's holster or company arms room from 1911 to the present. All have been arsenal reworked at least once. These are the real deal and just what many of us actually carried. That is exactly what CMP has been saying right from the start. 

Where do people come up with this frankengun as an insult stuff? Do any of you really expect to find all matching pistols just like factory new? I promise you, IF there are any in there, those will be auctioned off for many thousands of dollars. You don't see anybody griping  about M1 Garands or Carbines that aren't all matching. Because nobody expects them to be perfect. They are "as issued". That's what CMP sells. Why do people insist on whining about these pistols? $1050 for a Service grade, standard issue 1911A1 is a very fair price. 

You want a nice, shiny, brand new 1911 for less money? Fine! There's plenty of them out there. Take your pick.  Those of us who have filed paperwork with CMP are buying a piece of history. If that ain't your cup of tea, well ok then. Why do those who don't "get it" feel so obligated to put them down?  Just shut up already! Sheesh! :stick:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I see any US surplus firearms that are "all correct", but aren't in As-new condition, I figure someone has replaced a bunch parts in order to make it that way.

During WW2 and Korea, recruits took brand new guns full of cosmoline, stripped them down, and threw all the pieces into large cans of boiling water or solvent to get the grease off.  When they were reassembled, nobody cared who got which part.

Considering that this probably happened six or a dozen times on each rifles service, and that they may have also been re-arsenalled two or more times, the likelihood of any of them being 'correct' is infinitesimal.

I'd rather have an honest weapon that was re-arsenalled than one that is 'correct' using whatever parts some guy had.

CMP prices are actually looking pretty good compared to what I see for sale online and at shows!  

If CMP gets another 2000 pistols from the Army, I'll get one!!

Well GeeWhiz!!!!   To each his own.  

For those who want new for less, great ..... you can go buy one at the going rate.

For those who want a piece of military history, great ..... you can buy an old one at the going rate.

The beautiful thing is ...... we have the freedom of choice.  As for me, long live the CMP!!!

On 2/21/2019 at 1:45 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I got the e-mail today.

"This email is to notify you that your order has been received and you have been assigned a number through the random number generating process. You will find your number listed below. At this time, we do not have enough 1911 type pistols to complete your order. Should the Army send us another shipment of sufficient quantity, we will use those 1911 type pistols to fill the next orders in line. Please do not contact us or reply to this email at this time.

Your generated number:  10263

Thanks,
CMP 1911 Program"

Well, just my luck. No gun for me this year. :(  But I should be fairly early in next year's batch. ;)
Oh well, at least I do know for sure that I'm on the list and the paperwork is on file. Honestly, I was beginning to worry as I wasn't sure if I put enough postage on the envelope. 

I guess at this point its pretty safe to say that all of this year's allotment has been accounted for. The list will roll over and from what I understand there's no plans to take new applications for several years at least. 
Ok then. Next year it is. :rolleyes:

Cool! I got my email on the same day, and I’m about 700 numbers behind you. I’m looking forward to owning a piece of history. I was beginning to wonder about my papework as well, haha

On 2/26/2019 at 4:53 PM, Garufa said:

In person or on the internet?  I know the pics posted on the CMP forum are a tiny fraction of what has been shipped but many of them looked pretty good to me.  Yes, $1050 good for an authentic USGI 1911.

you tube is your friend