Alcoholism

KahrMan

It is a bitch of a disease.  Lost a good friend last night.  He was 42 and left behind a 4 year old son.  

I am just so pissed right now.  He was strong enough to kick a drug habit a couple of years ago but could never kick the alcohol.  His dad died of the same disease and always used that as an excuse for why he couldn't quit.  Said it was just in his genes.  He never took responsibility for his drinking.   

How can someone be so selfish to give up and leave a 4 year old child behind.  I just don't understand.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Esko 270 said:

Sorry for your loss. We're going through it with my daughter now with drugs. It's the worst thing i've ever seen or been a part of.

Sorry to hear about your daughter and her drug situation. I have a grandson that has the same issue and I will tell you waht I told my son. Don't give up on them and keep trying to get help for her. My son has been going and getting him out of jail time after time and I told him to quit getting him out. Let him stay in jail till his court date and then go to court with him and ask the DA or Asst DA to have him put in a court ordered drug rehab center. Not the one that is voluntary but the manditory one that requires them to remain at the center. As long as he keeps getting him out it is not going to help him at all. I am going to his next court date and I will talk to the DA if my son won't. I know it is hard for my son to think about locking him up in a rehab facility but I will do it for him to take the burden off my son.

• Like 2

My best friend in high school was an alcoholic by 16. He never finished high school. He is the same way. He never takes responsibility for his actions. He has 5 kids now and no long term job. He keeps blaming this or that for losing a job when actually he usually gets mad and quits. 

It's bad to lose a friend no matter the circumstances. My thoughts go out to you and his family. 

I've had to deal with a couple of alcoholics in my life. The best intentions in the world won't help. You have to make yourself stand back and let them fall. They can only be saved when they are ready. 

As a young man, I was headed in that direction. Not quite there, but I was at the stage where one drink, more often than not, led to one too many. Luckily, fate stepped in and I've now been dry for close to 40 years.

• Like 5

I hate to hear this. I don't really know what to say right now. I do believe that our enemy satan is quite adept at being able to cause people to feel isolated and hopeless, which often results in these tragedies happening. I can say that because I have been through the feelings of isolation and hopelessness. May the Lord bestow peace on his family. 

Edited by res308
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

Sorry for your loss. We're going through it with my daughter now with drugs. It's the worst thing i've ever seen or been a part of.

Wow! Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what that must be like for a parent.

Kahr Man, I'm saddened to hear of your loss. Hang in there.

• Like 1

Wow, sorry to hear this.

i grew up with my dad drinking sun up to sun down, made good money but drank it all up. Best I can figure is he fell into a bottle when him and my mom split up, stayed there for a very long time. Had a brother get killed in a motorcycle accident in 93, my dad moved back to the home town when that happened. My mom and him got back together shortly after and he never took another drink. Lost him to lung cancer (ironworker) (actually help build tower 2 at the World Trade Center) in December 2010, lost mom in January 2012.  I think she died of a broken heart. 

Growing up i tried to get him to stop drinking but was not successful.  Best I ever did was to stop him from driving drunk by snatching the plug wires off his brand new truck. When he sobered up he stood over me with a belt until I got the plugs wires back on correctly. 

I sure miss him and her. 

• Moderators

Sorry for your loss Kahr Man. The families are the ones who suffer the most.

I lost my dad to addiction. His was prescription pain killers. Hardest thing to watch the fall and knowing there is nothing you can do.

Extra prayers for the little one. I pray there is someone who will be able to be a father figure for them. 

22 hours ago, KahrMan said:

It is a bitch of a disease.  Lost a good friend last night.  He was 42 and left behind a 4 year old son.  

I am just so pissed right now.  He was strong enough to kick a drug habit a couple of years ago but could never kick the alcohol.  His dad died of the same disease and always used that as an excuse for why he couldn't quit.  Said it was just in his genes.  He never took responsibility for his drinking.   

How can someone be so selfish to give up and leave a 4 year old child behind.  I just don't understand.  

I've been dealing with it in my house for almost a year now.  I've spent a good part of this year in Al-Anon meetings.  All of it is hard but I wouldn't call it selfish.  It's easy for us to say that but its I don't think any part of this has to do with being selfish.   The first step is admitting that we are powerless over alcohol.  Alcohol, or drugs as the case may be, have control.  The addict certainly isn't in control and the friends and family around them definitely aren't either.  I'm very sorry for your loss and hope that your friend's four year old will be okay.  

19 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

I can only offer prayers to those going thru these addiction problems as I've never experienced it firsthand from relations nor friends. I guess I've been either lucky or done things right to this point in my life. Maybe a little of both.

That's a really crappy attitude to have towards those of us with loved ones that struggle from addiction.  I'd really like to hear exactly what I've done wrong in my life.  Perhaps you can shed some light on that for me.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I've been dealing with it in my house for almost a year now.  I've spent a good part of this year in Al-Anon meetings.  All of it is hard but I wouldn't call it selfish.  It's easy for us to say that but its I don't think any part of this has to do with being selfish.   The first step is admitting that we are powerless over alcohol.  Alcohol, or drugs as the case may be, have control.  The addict certainly isn't in control and the friends and family around them definitely aren't either.  I'm very sorry for your loss and hope that your friend's four year old will be okay.  

That's a really crappy attitude to have towards those of us with loved ones that struggle from addiction.  I'd really like to hear exactly what I've done wrong in my life.  Perhaps you can shed some light on that for me.  

I grew up in an abusive alcoholic home. I remember being terrified of my father as a child. He chose to die of alcoholism 2 1/2 years ago. I can't tell you how many times he kicked my ass and my mother allowed it. That being said, I think you being a bit sensitive. Nothing Torino said was offensive, accusatory, or insensitive. 

• Like 3