Solar Observatory Shut Down

GlockSpock

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

For your theories, keep in mind the Feds will give the Sheriff no information. That kinda rules out any kind of contamination or threat to the locals.

It is my understanding the FBI locked the doors and left, asking the Sheriff to keep an eye on the place. So it apparently isn’t a crime scene. Sounds like they took what they wanted and left.

They grabbed the missile command control modules (MCCM) and left. That facility, compromised by Russian collusion, is now out of the loop and the world is safe again.

Where have you read about MCCM? And Star Wars being related? Pure hypothetical by you or evidence?

Edited by GlockSpock
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Where have you read about MCCM? And Star Wars being related? Pure hypothetical by you or evidence?

I was listening somewhat to the news last evening while on computer and there was some discussion about our Defense systems in space being updated or something to that nature but I was not really paying that much attention. They did mention our Nuclear Missile Defense in space so it might be something about what they are doing with that..............:shrug:

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It was severe enough to come in by helicopter and force everyone out but not enough to put real security there to guard it. That is odd to me. So maybe it was a threat to the workers and there was nothing inside sensitive enough to guard.

Did they come by black helicopter?

:tinfoil::hiding:

14 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I was being factious.

You might not be as far off as you think you are Dave. Part of what was being discussed on the news last night was VP Pence and his creating a 6th branch of our military in outer space known as Gizmodo. Trump put him in charge of getting it done by 2020. They may be going to convert the observatory and surrounding area to be used for that operation.................:shrug:

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

You might not be as far off as you think you are Dave. Part of what was being discussed on the news last night was VP Pence and his creating a 6th branch of our military in outer space known as Gizmodo. Trump put him in charge of getting it done by 2020. They may be going to convert the observatory and surrounding area to be used for that operation.................:shrug:

Gizmodo?

Or Space Force?

I don’t know why Trump wants to create the ‘Space Force” other than going down in history was the one that did it. The need is obvious; however it’s being done with what we have now. I think all our branches of Military should become one. I bet it would save billions. United States Military; what a concept.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
On 9/14/2018 at 11:18 AM, GlockSpock said:

Some different theories that have popped up.

Lot of people are jumping to the theory that those at the observatory "saw something" in the form of aliens, something classified, or evidence that the sun was ramping up (or down). They then in turn claim the Post Office was shutdown because there was a "whistleblower" that worked there that ended up sending something through USPS as evidence to warn the world. It's a nice story, and a nice movie plot, but I don't think it holds much weight. Unless I am vastly wrong about this, there doesn't seem to be anything that could be seen from there that couldn't be seen/observed from other observatories around the world. Also, there is another observatory about a mile (I believe) away from the one shut down. It isn't shut down.

Some people have suggested that the telescope (or whatever the proper name for it) includes a "mercury bearing". Some stuff I've read suggests it may have a ton or multiple tons worth of mercury. Some people have speculated that either it was leaking or somehow the target of an attack/theft and everything shutdown to access risk. Maybe. I could buy the "leaking" scenario but I'm not sure why the Post Office would shutdown (unless it was just to remove as many people as possible from the area.

Some people have suggested that someone mailed something dangerous, such as Anthrax, etc, to the facility. Possible, but seems an unlikely target of an attack unless the attack itself was focused on someone specific. Possible, and would explain the Post Office.

--

However, I just got curious so I pulled the location up on Google Maps here.

You can see in the following photo that the "Post Office" is literally right next to everything else. See that road exiting the photo on the right?

vqcBuWO.jpg

That's the only road going to and from everything. If that is the point that they barricaded/closed, then there would be no way or reason to get to/from the Post Office. I'm thinking it is very, very likely that the shutdown of the Post Office is simply incidental to closing everything else and not necessarily related to the event itself at all.

I'm still placing my wager on spying, either government or corporate, somehow on either the facility itself or White Sands.

In this Google Maps Link, you see how close White Sands Missle Range is to the observatory. You can see how relatively close it is to the White Sands Missle Range and the Air Force base is even closer. Whether or not anything could "be seen" from the observatory or facility itself is mute; It could have simply been used as a high point of elevation to serve as a repeater for any sort of testing/detection equipment setup closer to the military sites themselves. All very interesting stuff. I hope we at minimum hear an "official story".

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

It is a solar observatory.  Maybe they discovered the ultimate solar flare headed our way or evidence of impending solar collapse.  

The entire situation is odd but yanking chains is far more exciting.

We will never know the truth.

Lots of people think/thought this. If so, two points: Other observatories around the world should have been/be able to see it. Secondly, solar storms don't take 1-2 weeks to arrive, from what I understand.

12 hours ago, res308 said:

So, all my joking aside, what do you honestly think it is? You have probably researched this more than I have. I am very curious about this. A place like this, or any place, suddenly being invaded by the FBI and closed down, along with a post office and immediate area, and not even an official make-believe story issued, leads to a lot of speculation. And naturally so, since most humans are naturally curious. I'm sure before it over it'll be the fault of FarumpadumpTrump and RootinTootinPootin, but we'll probably never know the who's, why's n wherefores.

I'm not categorizing the possibility of someone mailing something like anthrax to that facility as workplace violence. That's in the terrorism category. It's not out of the question that that could be what happened, but it's probably not what happened. It's just another possibility on the long list of possibilities.

However, if they closed the observatory as a precautionary measure because of some threat to the observatory, why close the post office? And why threaten an observatory of all places to begin with? But that's not beyond the realm of possibilities either.

I happen to not believe in aliens, and I'm not real sure about Bigfoot. So, discounting aliens, Bigfoot, Rosie, and Elvis for the time being. why don't we compile a list of actual possible scenarios that could have led to this?

I quoted one my previous posts. I personally think the Post Office closure was incidental to closing the road down below. Look at everything in Google maps, you'll see exactly where everything is located. In other words, the Post Office may be closed because there is no reason for it to be open coupled with no way for workers to get there (since the road is closed).

4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Radiation exposure.  Either someone mishandling an isotope emitter or some piece of equipment malfunctioning and emitting enough radiation sonewhere on the spectrum to set off a sensor at the post office.  

Maybe. I've seen this thrown around a lot. I won't pretend to know much about what goes on at these places, I have no idea how much if any radioactive equipment is used. I would have guessed "zero", but maybe I'm very wrong.

3 hours ago, Moped said:

Okay, been following this thread since it started.  Very curious and interesting!  Here are my theories.

1. Case of Work Place Violence.  Some very smart person with a grudge against someone at the observatory, sent in some sort of chemical, via the mail.  We'll call it anthrax.  Since it's a Government facility, the FBI would be called for both the Observatory and the post office.  I would think we'd see the CDC also called in.  Since that hasn't happened, that I know of, that's the one hole I see in this theory.

2. Something is going on at White Sands and the Feds don't want it exposed in any way, so they sent in the FBI to temporarily or permanently shut the facility down,  But why the post office too?

3. The Observatory discovered something about the Sun that the Government doesn't want released yet.  But if true, whatever they discovered will get out soon enough.  There are other observatories around the world that are not under the control of the U.S Government.   Whatever ever it might be, they can't keep a lid on it forever.

4. Aliens, which I do happen to believe exist.  Just don't know that they can reach Earth.  The Universe is too damn big for us to be the only sentient beings in it.  But why would they show up here, unless they were trying to keep their presence on the down low, and only want to reach out initially to the Government.  And if true, wouldn't they be illegal aliens?  Trump would want to build a wall around the observatory I'm sure and we have seen no evidence of a wall being built... Sorry just trying to inject a little humor in this. :)

I do not thing it's a case of terrorism.  Why would any known terrorist group attack an observatory in the middle of nowhere.  Terrorists want publicity.  This "target", in no way shape or form, gives them that.

1) Hey, maybe. I think it is hard to verify exactly who did and didn't show up. Maybe they showed up, tested for contamination, and then left since they didn't find any. Could have been something as simple as someone receiving an envelope with "white powder", everyone overacting to play it safe, and then finding out that it was simply baby powder. From what I've read, supposedly it is up to AURA (http://www.aura-astronomy.org) when to reopen. Them continuing to be closed could simply be a factor of wanting to play it safe/wanting a few days off with pay. Who knows?

2) Maybe. This was my bet at first (either espionage or a secret test happening), but from my research I've seen that White Sands is visible from many, many places on that mountaintop. Closing the facility itself would have little success in preventing prying eyes, in my opinion. If that were the case, in my opinion, Post Office would just be incidental (see first post quoted in this reply).

3) Maybe. I guess that's the big one (paired with 4). I'd suspect that if something "big" was detected, other observatories would have found it because I'm sure many of these scientists are extra curious. Throw out that possibility, and then other scientists go "I wonder, hmm...let me go check".

4) There seems to be two sources of "evidence" to support this. One is a picture of "spaceships flying in front of the sun". But, I also saw that this "photo" was taken with a women's iPhone 8 pointed at the sun. If that is true, you might as well go outside and look at the sun. See any aliens? Ok, cool. I guess just look longer (Disclaimer: of course, don't. You'll go blind).

The other "evidence" is some sort of "dual eclipse". This shows "two objects" passing in front of the sun. There have been many alarmist Youtube videos posted on this, but here is a more authoritative source: 

https://scitechdaily.com/nasas-solar-dynamics-observatory-spots-two-lunar-transits/

I'll admit that I'm still trying to visualize the physics of this in my head, but I'll say I'm more open to trusting an authoritative source on this than an alarmist Youtube channel trying to monetize hits.

• Moderators

I will add to the above post, check this link:

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov

That is NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.

SDO is a sun-pointing semi-autonomous spacecraft that will allow nearly continuous observations of the Sun with a continuous science data downlink rate of 130 Megabits per second (Mbps). The spacecraft is 4.5 meters high and over 2 meters on each side, weighing a total of 3100 kg (fuel included). SDO's inclined geosynchronous orbit was chosen to allow continuous observations of the Sun and enable its exceptionally high data rate through the use of a single dedicated ground station.

A lot of the alarmist Youtube videos try to pass of the images of the dual eclipse as originating from Sunspot, NM. However, it seems the images actually came from this satellite. And I believe I figured out how the dual eclipse would work. Let me draw a picture.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Moderators

tx5p9KW.jpg

I didn't claim to be an artist, but if the visualisation I ran in my head works, I think this exactly explains the "dual eclipse" and why it "changed direction. Of course, the above drawing is very crude, not to scale, and I have no idea of the relation of the orbits of the moon and SDO. But it seems possible.

• Moderators

I will also add anecdotal evidence against the "dual spaceship theory". Consider this. The further from earth things would have to be to cover the sun/create an eclipse, the bigger they have to be. How big does an object have to be to block the sun for you? You could take a quarter, hold it up to the sun, and blog the sun "for you". That's an eclipse, although not a celestial one. How big does something further away, lets say the distance of the moon, have to be to block the sun? That's right, moon sized. The moon creates eclipses. So if you went beyond the moon and closer to the sun, an object would have to continuously get larger, eventually approaching the size of the sun itself, in order to "block" the sun.

Ok, now lets assume in that "dual spaceship" video, it was a spaceship, or two. If it were big enough to block most of the sun, but somewhere between here and the moon, it would have been visible to us on the ground, right? We can, after all, see the moon.

If it were further than the moon and big enough too, it would have literally created an eclipse (or in this case, two). Wouldn't someone have noticed in on earth?

Nope, instead the moon moved in front of the sun twice. But only from the vantage point of the SDO, thus the "eclipse" could have only been seen from the SDO, not earth.

2 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

I'll admit that I'm still trying to visualize the physics of this in my head, but I'll say I'm more open to trusting an authoritative source on this than an alarmist Youtube channel trying to monetize hits.

You would probably be better off trusting the alarmist youtube channel than trusting us here. 🤪

And I guess I skipped right over your info about the only road being blocked. That would make sense, and might mean the post office didn't really have anything to do with the observatory closure at all, just no reason to leave it open. Hmmm. Interesting-er by the minute. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

There's a very good possibility that the post office was a small facility that only served the Observatory and people living there (their own zip code). If no one is left, there's no need for a post office.

Exactly. Addressed in post where I showed Google Maps.