Ruger PC Carbine

Garufa

So I’ve been wanting one for no good reason since they came out.  Now that they are becoming increasingly available, the prices are at a tolerable level, and early reliability issues seem to have been addressed, I have one.

Academy carries them and they were kind enough to send me a 10% off coupon in the mail a couple of weeks ago with actually very few restrictions.  It was good for firearms.  That made it a very attractive purchase and I could no longer resist.

Finally got out to break it in today and I simply love it.  Very accurate and 100% reliable.  Put about 300 rounds total through it with half of that being Winchester NATO.  Oh Shoot even fed it a bunch of that Winchester Forged crap and it ate it like a fat kid does candy.

Put a Sig Romeo5 on it about halfway through the fun and it’s a great combo.  Just put the dot on what you want to shoot and it’s going to get hit whether you’re using 115 or 124 gr bullets.

Very pleased with it.  It’s really a lot of fun and would make a dandy defense carbine as well.

BTW, Champion BioBird clays are junk.  They do not shatter to satisfaction and actually melt in the hot sun, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 5
12 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

I probably need to buy this vs. upgrading my hipoint stock.

Something to consider. The Ruger is very well made and the take down capability is nice.  The fact it takes Glock mags is a huge plus.

Don’t know when I’ll get a chance to get to the range again but you’d be welcome to come try it out.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m glad to hear a good report on this. 

Glad to hear you Knoxville guys out shooting again, too. 

We’re trying and I’d kinda like to get some more locals together.  We used to have some great shootenanny’s but those are a little more involved...that takes land, but back in the day we did take over some ranges a couple of times.  :D

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

We’re trying and I’d kinda like to get some more locals together.  We used to have some great shootenanny’s but those are a little more involved...that takes land, but back in the day we did take over some ranges a couple of times.  :D

Now that I have a grandson in Kville I'd love to arrange a visit wherein  i could shoot  something that isn't my son in law...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That lil carbine is Da Bomb. I love it.

Certainly would never have bought a Hi-Point carbine if this had been an option back when. Or maybe not my Kel-Tec Sub2000 either (although it's so unique I might have).

So dunno, I'll either have to get one or coerce Garufa to come along every time I wanna pop some caps. ;)

Seriously, the thing seems to be just right on dead accurate. And looks like will eat anything. I'll bet scoped once you compensate for exact drop it would be duck soup to pop pert small targets at 100 yards and more too. Even with just the irons or the 1x red dot I could hit clays about half the time at about 75.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I can arrange something out in the valley.

25 ish yards max, ground conditions are inconsistent.

Brass scavenging is encouraged.

• Like 2

I've had one for a few months.   The notable thing about it (other than the general "well-thought-out-ness" of it), is that it will run reliably on really light loads.

I ran a batch of 115gr FMJ on top of 2.2 grains of Titegroup (this is about half of what my standard 9mm load is for pistols) and the Ruger was still ejecting cases 5 feet away.   

I have a Tasco PDP5 red dot on mine for Steel Challenge and it's just the ticket IMHO.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ken_mays said:

I ran a batch of 115gr FMJ on top of 2.2 grains of Titegroup (this is about half of what my standard 9mm load is for pistols) and the Ruger was still ejecting cases 5 feet away.   

Good Lord! That must have a recoil approaching a .22 LR! ;)

It's great to know it'll function with that light of a load. That's gotta be one sweet S.C. gun.

Tempting... 

Edited by prag
14 hours ago, Garufa said:

It’s the bee’s knees.  Surprised you don’t have one by now, Ruger man.

Without getting into too much detail, I took a pay cut and then lost a second income and a third adult with a child and no income moved into my house.   I've haven't had the money for it in quite some time. 

18 hours ago, prag said:

Good Lord! That must have a recoil approaching a .22 LR! ;)

It's great to know it'll function with that light of a load. That's gotta be one sweet S.C. gun.

Tempting... 

Yes, it is awfully light.  A friend also has one and he's loading 80 or 90 grain .380 bullets for it.  The powder charge is very light as well but he told me he's going to go a little higher because when the charge is that light, ignition is inconsistent and he'll occasionally get a stovepipe.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...