Personal/Private shooting range in Back Yard?

OLDNEWBIE

Hey Guys/Gals

I'm a Realtor who has had two clients recently looking to build a 200 yard minimum rifle Range in their back yard. More specifically they want to buy an existing home with the possibility to build one.

They want a pretty nice house within 35 minutes drive of Cookeville.  Up to 450K... You'd think it would be easy enough but no! Not a lot of isolated enough properties within 35 minutes of town.

I know with the right terrain and outside city limits this is legal and safe. I'm jealous actually and plan to have a set up like this myself one day! Hickok45 on youtube is my idol!

Anyway.....anyone have something like this and had neighbors complain?, the law coming to check etc. or are people generally accepting of the fact that if you have some acreage outside city limits you might get a neighbor who will set up a rifle range?

Getting raw land and building is the other option of course. If you build first then others who move in later can't complain so much.

Thanks for any input or insight on the subject in advance.

Mike

People always complain about the noise. It's doesn't matter who was there first.  

I had people near me who shot in their yard. I only started complaining when the bullets started bouncing off my house. Took the sheriffs deputies a few tries to sort it out, but they did. 

I lived in a house in a very rural area about 30 minutes outside Maryville, yeah not close to anything.  All of my neighbors except for one would shoot in their yards and didn't care when I shot in mine, but there is always that one.  This one neighbor, who lived a half a mile away, would call the law everytime myself, or anyone else started shooting.  I could sense the deputies frustration.  They were always very friendly, would explain the shooting got called in so they were checking it out.  Told me I wasn't doing anything wrong and to carry on.  Usually talked a little gun talk as well.  Point being, unless you buy 1000 acres you may make someone mad.    

On the other hand, my mother in law lived in a subdivision outside of Knoxville, everyone on her culdesac would shoot into the side of the hill behind there houses.  These were maybe 1/2 acre lots.  Safe, but tons of houses around.  Never seen anything else like it, everyone just got along.

• Like 1

My one buyer shoots suppressed. I've found a few good homes but the land is too flat or the home is smack dab in the way. This is getting to be a PITA.

The good thing is the one client is from out of state and I'm guessing is moving to be in a more gun friendly State. Same reason I moved here.

The bad news is it isn't a shooter's paradise like a lot of people think. No public land to shoot on, subdivisions popping up everywhere etc.

I'll probably find them a piece of land to build on. The other client is already leaning that way. Ideally a hill or natural berm to shoot into. Jackson County has some places.

If it was me I'd get an isolated 20+ acres of cheap "undesirable to most" land 40 minutes from town and put a crappy shack on it. Shoot on the weekends or days off and have a nice home in town. 

28 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

My one buyer shoots suppressed. I've found a few good homes but the land is too flat or the home is smack dab in the way. This is getting to be a PITA.

The good thing is the one client is from out of state and I'm guessing is moving to be in a more gun friendly State. Same reason I moved here.

The bad news is it isn't a shooter's paradise like a lot of people think. No public land to shoot on, subdivisions popping up everywhere etc.

I'll probably find them a piece of land to build on. The other client is already leaning that way. Ideally a hill or natural berm to shoot into. Jackson County has some places.

If it was me I'd get an isolated 20+ acres of cheap "undesirable to most" land 40 minutes from town and put a crappy shack on it. Shoot on the weekends or days off and have a nice home in town. 

Perhaps you shouldn’t entertain out of state clients or be in the business of bringing more in.  ;)

As a native Tennessean I’ll just go ahead and say we are full up. 

I can assure you everythIng they are trying to escape will happen here.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 8

I bought 26 acres just outside of town for this very purpose. It's hilly. I've a 30 yard range out the basement door with a plate rack and a good berm. 150 yard range down the hill and a place for a Hickock45 type setup in a ravine. 

15 years ago this was possible, not anymore unless you go way farther out. No neighbors have complained yet. I do try to only shoot during the day. I hear shooting all the time around here. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Perhaps you shouldn’t entertain out of state clients or be in the business of bringing more in.  ;)

My family is native TN and KY but my parents moved a bunch. I was in Oregon for 10 years but the cancer from CA  has spread all along the coast, I had to go. Couldn't convince the wife to go to Idaho so we landed here. Sorry..... I will retire thereabouts one day God willing but others will take my place.

People migrate, it's inevitable. You think TN is absolute pro-gun then see cracks forming in Nashville.  I Sympathize but the Native Tennesseans are selling the land to build the subdivisions and promoting companies to bring jobs here. Or at least voting for those that do.

I thought it a good sign these folks were pro-gun anyway! TN has a bit of time left before it becomes CA.

Vote pro-2ndA and don't let side issues distract and TN will be fine. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, seez52 said:

I bought 26 acres just outside of town for this very purpose. It's hilly. I've a 30 yard range out the basement door with a plate rack and a good berm. 150 yard range down the hill and a place for a Hickock45 type setup in a ravine. 

15 years ago this was possible, not anymore unless you go way farther out. No neighbors have complained yet. I do try to only shoot during the day. I hear shooting all the time around here. 

I live in a subdivision cut out of farmland about 15 years ago. I hear shooting all the time from surrounding Farm Land. Nobody complains.

The places I'm finding for my client are high end homes on 15 to 30 acres next to similar homes with similar acreage surrounded by woods or farmland.

It could go either way how much neighbors would squawk. 

Well, I'm new to the forum but live in Beautiful Downtown Hilham, well within 35 minutes of Cookeville, and there are several properties around here that would fit your bill. Most are "pocket listings" so you have to get to know the owners but the terain is perfect for home ranges and, since just about everyone around here has one, nobody complains. Look around Standing Stone State Forest, and you should find exactly what you need. Good Luck and happy shooting!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

I Sympathize but the Native Tennesseans are selling the land to build the subdivisions and promoting companies to bring jobs here. 

Yep.  A man with a nice piece of land has a tendency to have children who want nothing to do with it.  I'm fortunate enough to live on such a piece of land.  The thought of living in a subdivision terrifies me and gives me anxiety.  I like my "safe space" out here in the woods.  I don't understand the though process of selling a farm to go live trailer park close to a bunch of other people.  Subdivisions have literally become trailer park living for rich people.  One of my neighbors owns 400+ acres, his kids want nothing to do with it.  He's elderly, when he dies it will be subdivided, 720 houses across the street from me.  I hate it, but I can't buy it all up.  A strong economy will cause the demise of the Tennessee country side. 

• Like 2

Just a thought can shooting be considered part of the first amendment , freedom of expression? Be careful of your potential neighbors, house next to me  sits on 5 ac. tract, owner cut 1 ac out for his son. Original owner passed about a year ago house and 4 ac were in a reverse mortgage Long story shortened, foreclosure house up for sale. Retired engineer from Montana first to look at it, wanted seclusion, no noise, sorry ain't gonna happen here on 4 acs.. You want seclusion you need 100+ acres or more. Hear gun fire here all the time no body complains.  This is farm country here if you don't want to hear loud farm machinery and smell manure you need to go somewhere else. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Yep.  A man with a nice piece of land has a tendency to have children who want nothing to do with it.  I'm fortunate enough to live on such a piece of land.  The thought of living in a subdivision terrifies me and gives me anxiety.  I like my "safe space" out here in the woods.  I don't understand the though process of selling a farm to go live trailer park close to a bunch of other people.  Subdivisions have literally become trailer park living for rich people.  One of my neighbors owns 400+ acres, his kids want nothing to do with it.  He's elderly, when he dies it will be subdivided, 720 houses across the street from me.  I hate it, but I can't buy it all up.  A strong economy will cause the demise of the Tennessee country side. 

There's a eutopian 1500 acre farm for sale on my wife's side of the family. It's for sale because the 4 siblings that currently own it don't expect their 9 combined (adult) children to be able to share it, and none can afford to buy the others out.  It's truly sad.  If we hit the powerball, it'll be mine. 

• Like 1
On 9/15/2018 at 8:50 PM, Garufa said:

As a NYer who moved down here I’d say your problems aren’t from transplants like myself. It’s gonna be the youth. I look at the stuff going on in Johnson City, liberal attitudes, gay pride parades, etc. it’s almost as bad as CA there. 

For myself, I bought land in the hills, built some AR pistols that I couldn’t own in NY, unpinned my stocks and put A2 birdcages back on. Rocking the standard mags and putting in for a few suppressors. I love this place. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 3:42 AM, DaveTN said:

Think how cool it would be if there were communities built with gun ranges like there are golf courses.

Of course it could be a risky proposition....

https://www.wsmv.com/news/macon-county-community-concerned-about-proposed-gun-range/article_e6521ad2-a08e-5fc8-8f45-cd8f5c5e44db.html

Hard to say if I'd get tired of all day gunfire disrupting my quiet home life. Of course measures could be taken to minimize noise I suppose. but my mini-14 is one loud rifle I've noticed! Others are worse, some are better.

Seems a covered insulated semi-closed shooting dugout type of arrangement might help. Natural hills and terrain, trees etc could muffle noise some too in a perfect "Shooting Community" common area. Indoor facilities for handguns perhaps. It could be made Ideal with the right design.

OK I'm in! where do I sign up?, I hate golf. 

• Like 1
On 9/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, peejman said:

There's a eutopian 1500 acre farm for sale on my wife's side of the family. It's for sale because the 4 siblings that currently own it don't expect their 9 combined (adult) children to be able to share it, and none can afford to buy the others out.  It's truly sad.  If we hit the powerball, it'll be mine. 

@peejman So where is this land that sounds great that I wish I could afford?

We bought 35ac to build a house on in SE TN. It’s a hill with a flat ridge on top for the house and a long gated driveway, so any complainers are going to have to work for it, lol. I have a small range, but I go easy because I don’t want to disturb all the deer for hunting purposes.

I hear others shooting around me. 

That is one thing my mother and father were thinking about when it came time to sell the Farm/Ranch back years ago. Now taking into consideration we are talking over 2000 acres of land but only 1000 acres was fit for housing. The rest was all in flood stage due to Harpeth River ran through the ranch and all of the bottom land could only be use for agriculture either crops or pasture land. When they put it up for sale two men came out and discussed buying it all since it was made plain in the beginning that it would not be sold in pieces to the original buyer. It was either all or none. The 2 gentlemen were also told there would be resrictions that went with the purchase. They had to sign an agreement that the land would be sold in 20 acre tracts only. On each tract could be1single family dwelling and one barn and no mobile homes.  The 2 gentlemen said they would need a week to consider it and would get back with them.

1 week later they came back to meet with my parents. They signed the paperwork agreeing to all the conditions put forth by my parents making it binding and a week later the property changed hands. 1 of the gentlemen was a lawyer and the other man his partner was a Tennessee State Senator at the time. When it went up for sale it went up with all of the restrictions listed. In less then 1 year all of the tracts were sold. Since our family cemetery is located on the property I visit it as often as I can because my oldest son is buried there and I drive all over the farm ever so often and everyone has obeyed the requirements that has built. There are still about 9 or 10 tracts that are still unimproved.

My mother made it quite clear the farm would never be a subdivision or an apartment complex. I have 3 friends that I went to school that bought tracts and we visit when I go down. They love living on the place. 

I wish more families would consider doing the same thing when they get ready to sell an old Home Place and slow down all these subdivisions and apartments complexes from going up. It only took my parents a month to close a deal preventing that from happening................JMHO