Personal/Private shooting range in Back Yard?

OLDNEWBIE

5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

This got me wishing and I started looking just for giggles.

I did not know there were any tracts this size still around here in NE TN. :drool:

2096 ACRES

That's a lot of zeros, I'd love to write up a contract that big one day!
$2,730,000 2096 Acres

6 hours ago, bersaguy said:

That is one thing my mother and father were thinking about when it came time to sell the Farm/Ranch back years ago. Now taking into consideration we are talking over 2000 acres of land but only 1000 acres was fit for housing. The rest was all in flood stage due to Harpeth River ran through the ranch and all of the bottom land could only be use for agriculture either crops or pasture land. When they put it up for sale two men came out and discussed buying it all since it was made plain in the beginning that it would not be sold in pieces to the original buyer. It was either all or none. The 2 gentlemen were also told there would be resrictions that went with the purchase. They had to sign an agreement that the land would be sold in 20 acre tracts only. On each tract could be1single family dwelling and one barn and no mobile homes.  The 2 gentlemen said they would need a week to consider it and would get back with them.

1 week later they came back to meet with my parents. They signed the paperwork agreeing to all the conditions put forth by my parents making it binding and a week later the property changed hands. 1 of the gentlemen was a lawyer and the other man his partner was a Tennessee State Senator at the time. When it went up for sale it went up with all of the restrictions listed. In less then 1 year all of the tracts were sold. Since our family cemetery is located on the property I visit it as often as I can because my oldest son is buried there and I drive all over the farm ever so often and everyone has obeyed the requirements that has built. There are still about 9 or 10 tracts that are still unimproved.

My mother made it quite clear the farm would never be a subdivision or an apartment complex. I have 3 friends that I went to school that bought tracts and we visit when I go down. They love living on the place. 

I wish more families would consider doing the same thing when they get ready to sell an old Home Place and slow down all these subdivisions and apartments complexes from going up. It only took my parents a month to close a deal preventing that from happening................JMHO  

Although I understand where you are coming from I’m of the belief that if you own land ( or anything else for that matter) you should be able to do whatever you wish with it. 

48 minutes ago, OH UNCLE PAUL said:

Although I understand where you are coming from I’m of the belief that if you own land ( or anything else for that matter) you should be able to do whatever you wish with it. 

As much as it is a lovely idea, legally, I am not sure who would enforce it in a few generations. What keeps the buyer that bought from those guys from selling it to a developer. 20 acres would be a good start on a subdivision. 

Shooting in my backyard was high on my list of wants when we were looking for a place. I found a great place, only 7.5 acres but have nearly 800' of property line shared with the Cherokee National forest in an area that has no development or trails. I have just a small range out to 35 yards and can shoot off my back deck with a natural dirt bank for a backstop. I limit how much I shoot really loud guns and have never had any complaints from neighbors. I have asked a few if I make to much noise and they say they seldom notice. Everyone I know on the road have guns and several others have ranges on their property. One neighbor is roughing in a 100-300 yard range depending on where his wife talks him into putting their new house, I have already been invited to use it. 

Life is good.

• Like 3

One good side to subdivisions popping up in less populated areas of TN.

Subdivisions =working class usually and in rural TN many of these people are natives.

Generational family Christian conservative usually =pro-gun. Political!

Kinda new here in TN but Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville etc. are starting to go hipster, progressive with lots of growth from outside from what I notice.

This demographic = anti-2ndA. Political. 

In Oregon the influx of Progressives in the population centers of Portland , Eugene, Salem etc. Ruled politically. Many of these people came from CA to spread their ideology. 

Gun rights are fast disappearing, one of the reasons I left Oregon which has some great public lands to go shooting on btw.

The culture in small town TN is pretty strong and growth could stem the tide against the big cities if elders pass on traditions to their offspring and newcomers are eased into a way of life that includes a strong belief in gun rights.

Get your kids shooting at an early age and invite that new neighbor to try out your latest firearm!

That's the way to keep TN gun friendly.

About land disappearing? Y'all are screwed I'm afraid. Would be nice if these greedy city leaders would set aside some land for public ranges though! All my guns are gathering dust since I moved here. 

12 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

As much as it is a lovely idea, legally, I am not sure who would enforce it in a few generations. What keeps the buyer that bought from those guys from selling it to a developer. 20 acres would be a good start on a subdivision. 

The clause that was put in the buyers property contract that bought a 20 acre tract is only allowed to sell it according to the agreement in which they purchased it.  Believe me, when my parents got ready to sell they sought out one of the best attorneys around at the time and that was L.B.Parker and he just happened to own a spread a bit bigger then ours about 10 miles away in a community called Nosegay and when he was finished drawing up the paperwork he told my folks that there won't be a subdivision, Apartment, or mobile home ever on that property.

I also found out yesterday that 4 of those unimproved tracts are own by people that live down there they bought for their children when they get ready to build.

17 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

That situation is probably going to work out for a few lifetimes at least but....

Those kind of deed restrictions can get outdated over generations if people aren't vigilant. If someone erects a non compliant structure secretly and it stands for many years and many sales, eventually it can become legal because no one ever made a legal complaint, or even cares anymore. Don't know all the ins and outs or what its called but it was on a test I took a long time ago. I know different States have different rules.

This happens a lot in older subdivisions with restrictions and covenants in this area I have seen. Also re-zoning happens all the time. 

And don't forget eminent domain. We the people don't really own the land.

Don't pay taxes on it or if scientists discover it's the spawning ground for some endangered insect.....The Government will do it's thing over your wishes.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

That situation is probably going to work out for a few lifetimes at least but....

Those kind of deed restrictions can get outdated over generations if people aren't vigilant. If someone erects a non compliant structure secretly and it stands for many years and many sales, eventually it can become legal because no one ever made a legal complaint, or even cares anymore. Don't know all the ins and outs or what its called but it was on a test I took a long time ago. I know different States have different rules.

This happens a lot in older subdivisions with restrictions and covenants in this area I have seen. Also re-zoning happens all the time. 

And don't forget eminent domain. We the people don't really own the land.

Don't pay taxes on it or if scientists discover it's the spawning ground for some endangered insect.....The Government will do it's thing over your wishes.

The craziest to me is the mineral rights ownership I have seen up in SW VA. They can find the largest coal vein on your land but because someone gave the person that owned it in 1950 $5, you do not own that coal. Coal companies bought up huge tracts of rights for a few bucks as specukative purchases.i knew a family that did not sell, but their neighbor did. The natural gas under their propery got pumped out by the company tapping the deposit on their neighbor's land. 

• Like 1