CCW In Parks Oddity

http://parks.hamiltontn.gov/154/Maps-Rules-and-Hours

noticed on the above Rules page:

• Weapons of any kind are prohibited

My understanding was that Gov Haslam signed the bill a few years back allowing CCW in parks.

is there something special about this park, don't think the law was rescinded. Or is it just typical games that these guys play.

Ie there is a law allowing CCW in parks but no law requiring them to NOT post the 'prohibited' message?

Despite what anyone here suggests my plan is to take this up with park's department and also get in touch with candidate Bill Lee 

to ask about his opinion on this matter.

thank you all

Weapons are still outlawed in parks. It is a crime to carry a loaded gun in Tennessee. Therefore signs and the web site are okay.

There is an exception for a handgun if you hold a valid HCP. (Or hunting, target shooting, various other stuff)

Here is what the laws says..

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1311/

Here is a Tennessee Attorney General opinion on the matter.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/attorneygeneral/documents/ops/2018/op18-04.pdf

The web site for the park you linked has this statement “To contact a Ranger you can call 423-893-3500”. I’d call and ask them prior to going if I thought I might be hassled.

1 hour ago, pgb205 said:

Ie there is a law allowing CCW in parks but no law requiring them to NOT post the 'prohibited' message

That's about the size of it.

And the sign is sort of "half right".  If you don't fall under one of the exceptions (HCP being one of them), weapon possession is still forbidden for you,

- OS

• Like 1

ok, i pretty much assume that me carrying with a permit on my person was understood by everyone :-).

The wording implies that it's illegal period whether or not i bring my cc permit with me. The statement on the 

website is either outright wrong or mis-leading.

26 minutes ago, pgb205 said:

ok, i pretty much assume that me carrying with a permit on my person was understood by everyone :-).

The wording implies that it's illegal period whether or not i bring my cc permit with me. The statement on the 

What kind of “cc” permit do you have?  Tennessee does not issue those.

10 hours ago, pgb205 said:

If we had a right to carry a gun I would agree with you; but we don’t. We are a “Special Group” that buys a privilege from the state. Businesses aren’t required to post all the legalize for our special group of HCP holders where we are allowed to carry. It is our responsibility to know where we can or cannot carry.

We are moving closer to having a right, but we aren’t there yet.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, peejman said:

A HCP is a defense for breaking the law, not an exemption from the law. 

For the general offense of going armed, yeah, but oddly, in the parks statute it says simply that the carry offense "does not apply" to a permit holder.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr. Lee 
I am inquiring with regard to your prospective stand on an issue of great concern to me.
Several years back TN passed the law allowing carry of firearms in state parks. 
However, the law did not require the _removal_ of signs prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms.
As an example http://parks.hamiltontn.gov/154/Maps-Rules-and-Hours
"Weapons of any kind are prohibited"
which clearly contradicts the spirit of the passed law. 
These kind of signs have chilling effects on lawful carriers who want to exercise their second amendment rights.

Please let me know if you intend to change this signage policy if elected.

thank you

Awaiting his campaign's staff response, if any.

1 hour ago, pgb205 said:

However, the law did not require the _removal_ of signs prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms.
As an example http://parks.hamiltontn.gov/154/Maps-Rules-and-Hours....

Carry in state parks was enacted long before carry in municipal parks, so you'll probably just confuse the issue with him by stating that and then citing example of non-state parks.

- OS

1 hour ago, pgb205 said:

Dear Mr. Lee 
I am inquiring with regard to your prospective stand on an issue of great concern to me.
As an example http://parks.hamiltontn.gov/154/Maps-Rules-and-Hours
"Weapons of any kind are prohibited"
which clearly contradicts the spirit of the passed law. 
These kind of signs have chilling effects on lawful carriers who want to exercise their second amendment rights.

Please let me know if you intend to change this signage policy if elected.

thank you

Awaiting his campaign's staff response, if any.

You really expect him to propose spending tax money to remove signs that mean nothing to those who know the law and help make the sheeple feel more comfortable?

Edited by peejman