Archery Season

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Cool weather would be awesome, but it's a dream at this point. We're showing rain too for opening day.  I hope it holds out until late in the day.

Yeah it’ll be warm and rain to boot. I am going to have to work Saturday on top of everything else. If we get out at a decent time and it’s not pouring I will head out for the evening. Then hopefully can give it a go Sunday. 

Well here’s a recap of my opening weekend of archery season:

SaturdyMorning: Worked 4:30am till noon. Saw deer in almost every field I passed on the way in and it was pretty much gut wrenching lol. 

Saturday Afternoon: Watching the radar when I got home we had bad thunderstorms rolling about the time I would have been leaving after a scent removal shower. And sure enough when I got out of the shower and BOOM! Here it came. I’ll hunt in heavy or light rain, but lightening is a different ball game. So a sulked and stayed home hoping that’s Sunday mornings forecast was wrong. 

Sunday Morning: I woke up and showered after seeing the forecast was in fact still the same as it was Saturday night. 80 and 90% chance of rain with chances for thunderstorms. I decided I’d still go even if I ended up sitting in my truck. I grabbed my rain gear and a tree umbrella and it was a good dang thing I did. It was raining when I got there and was steady up till about 8:30ish and the bottom fell out. I just sat in the stand literally laughing because I didn’t care, I was hunting! 

Sunday Afternoon: I had to take my wife and daughter to TPAC for a performance they had purchased tickets for. While they were in there (3 1/2 hours) I drove around watching fields on outskirts of Nashville seeing deer eating. I couldn’t hunt them but at least was able to watch. 

This weekend is looking awesome so far! Except that I have to work Saturday till noon again. I sure want to be in a stand Saturday morning but I’ll be out right after. Sunday morning looks to be the same so I’ll be up in a tree all day with no honey-do-list. 

Any of y’all do any good? 

Edited by rugerla1

I got out Saturday morning. Drove through 2 storms to get to my lease and expected to meet up with my buddy but the rain ran him off.  Since I was already there I went ahead and climbed my tree.  Between walking through tall grass/pine saplings and light rain, I was good and wet.  Never saw a thing, at least not until I left and drove past a couple of pieces of land for sale on the way home.  A couple of does were out in the fields.  I got a decent 8pt on my cam with a tall rack.  If he sticks to his afternoon pattern, I'll have to do an evening hunt.

• Like 1

Still too warm for me. I have the itch, but I’ll enjoy it more when the temps break. I have another lease this year out in Carroll Co. It’s a bit of a drive for me, but I’m hoping it will produce. I’ll probably bow hunt close to home and drive out there some during muzzleloader and gun.

• Like 1

Just got word I’ll be working tomorrow for half day. Sucks but hey, it is what it is. Definitely heading out as soon as I get off though. Gonna be awesome weather! Good luck to y’all going in the morning. I’ve watched deer moving all morning in Smyrna and Murfreesboro. They like this cool air and now that the rain has paused they’re moving good. 

• Like 2

It was a little warm this afternoon but it was a beautiful day! Got a little hotter than I wanted to hanging my new Lone Wolf stand and sticks. Trying to do it as quietly as I could. The more I use it the easier it will be. Definitely love it so far! Headed back in the morning and hope the big 8 that was on camera this morning comes back out. 

• Like 3