Archery Season

28 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

Thermacell is the best thing ever. I’m ready for a little cooler weather

You ain’t kidding!! I still didn’t see anything, left at 11:30. Checked my cameras on the way out and found a new rub line! So I’m gonna set up my Lone Wolf stand close to it in the morning and hope for the best. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, martin5 said:

My heart hasn't been in it so far this year. I had that 8 point on the ground opening day last year. I got gensing fever this year.

A good cold front should fix that for ya! I know I’ll sure be excited for one. 

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

While not uncomfortably warm this morning, the damn mosquitos were out in force.  Other than squirrels, nothing was moving.  It's supposed to be cool this weekend so hopefully that will change.

Yeah it wasn’t bad until about 8:30 and it started heating up pretty quick. Yep, mosquitoes started attacking early so I turned on the Thermacell and had relief in five minutes. When I turned it off and climbed down at 10, they were tearing me up again while I packed up my stand and sticks! Vicious lil suckers! I’m excited about this coming weekend too, maybe the movement will pick up. Been pretty light for me this past week. 

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Does the Thermacell not spook the deer as far as smell?  I spray my clothes down with Sawyers which helps some with the mosquitos but they didn't see to care this morning.

I’ve never had a deer spook from the smell. I’d say if it was close enough that it smelled the Thermacell then it could smell you anyway. They make Earth scents as well but I’ve used regular for years and never had issues. But it is night and day difference as far as keeping mosquitoes off versus sprays. Within five minutes of turning it on they’re gone. I keep an extra fuel refill and extra pads in my backpack. 

I wanted to add that I thought the same thing for years when I first heard about Thermacell. But swatting mosquitoes scares more deer than the smell of the repellent. I wish I’d done it a long time ago. I only started using them when I began bow hunting. I used to only rifle hunt and didn’t have much trouble with mosquitoes at that time of year unless I hunted close to water on a warmer day. 

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Does the Thermacell not spook the deer as far as smell?  I spray my clothes down with Sawyers which helps some with the mosquitos but they didn't see to care this morning.

What @rugerla1 said.

I have also used a Thermacell a lot in the woods. I’ve had deer walk right under my treestand and around my ground blind on many occasions with no evidence that they smell it. Of course I’ll never know about any deer that may have steered clear, lol, but I’m a true believer in it for early season mosquito control.

• Like 1

I didn’t hunt Saturday afternoon or any at all inn Sunday. I figured if I wasn’t seeing anything I’d give the place a rest from me smelling it up with sweat. This cold front coming in tonight is sure making me wish I was off tomorrow and Friday! 

I got up at 330 and in my stand at 5 and still bumped a deer on the way to the tree. Sat there in the dark just knowing I’d see good movement. Only saw one button buck and a doe. Sat out till 1:30 in case midday movement was better then headed to the hayride. I got chilly around 8 and mainly because I was so excited about the cool weather that I left my jacket in the dang truck. 😣

Supposed to be a lot of rain tomorrow and I’m still at the cookout so I may not get out in the morning.