Electronic ear muffs

What are the best (within reason) electronic earmuffs?

Considerations would be:

- Ability to block bad noise

- Ability to clearly and loudly hear voices, etc.

- Durability (will they last)

- Cost

Thanks!

• Administrator

I recently bought pair of Peltor Tactical 500 earmuffs and added some Peltor Camelback Gel rings for them and absolutely love the setup.  They are more comfortable and block more noise than my $300 Pro Ears earmuffs do.  The gel rings weren't mandatory additions but they made the muffs mold around my eyeglass ear stems a little better and reduced pressure on my temples as a result.

There really is no comparison between the 500's with those gel rings and the more expensive muffs.  The Peltors win, hands down, in every way for me.

81ADP-wsRBL._SL1500_.jpg

71uSR+dn8RL._SL1500_.jpg

*Full disclosure, those two links are "affiliate links" that help TGO if you buy using them.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I recently bought pair of Peltor Tactical 500 earmuffs and added some Peltor Camelback Gel rings for them and absolutely love the setup.  They are more comfortable and block more noise than my $300 Pro Ears earmuffs do.  The gel rings weren't mandatory additions but they made the muffs mold around my eyeglass ear stems a little better and reduced pressure on my temples as a result.

There really is no comparison between the 500's with those gel rings and the more expensive muffs.  The Peltors win, hands down, in every way for me.

81ADP-wsRBL._SL1500_.jpg

71uSR+dn8RL._SL1500_.jpg

*Full disclosure, those two links are "affiliate links" that help TGO if you buy using them.

I won't have the funds for these for a while, but you Sir cause me to buy all the things. But I know your recommendations are always based on quality products. These look amazing.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

I won't have the funds for these for a while, but you Sir cause me to buy all the things. But I know your recommendations are always based on quality products. These look amazing.

My apologies to your bank account, but I do believe you'll like them!  :)

On 9/17/2018 at 6:04 AM, TGO David said:

81ADP-wsRBL._SL1500_.jpg

71uSR+dn8RL._SL1500_.jpg

How do these compare to the Ghost Stryke Essential Axil Electronic ear buds?

• Admin Team

I don’t have that specific model - but I’ve got both ear buds and muffs.  From the foam tips on the Axil models, I feel comfortable making the comparison.  

The buds are great for pistol and hunting needs.  If I’m going to be firing any type of over pressure rifle round for more than a single round, I feel like I need muffs - maybe over plugs. 

• Like 2

Don't go cheap and get the Peltor 300s, IMHO the 500s should be the minimum.  They are OK outdoors, if you are standing away from other shooters.  But, if I'm in a bay next to someone, I have to wear plugs, also.  IDPA indoor matches are a place that I feel I'd like better gunshot protection, but I don't have to double up.  Hearing conversation is really good, though.

On the other hand, I'll sell you my 300s, so I can get the 500s. :>}

I bought the MSA Sordin supreme a few years back with the gel cups. Last black friday I scored a set of the peltor 100, and a set of the walker game ear slims to use a loaners when I bring friends to to the range. 

I've had the pleasure of using some Peltor 500s and they are nice, not throw away my MSA's nice, but certainly what I would recommend to someone in the market currently who's serious about shooting. 

I think the gel cups, for almost ANY electronic muff that fits you well are absolutely a worthy upgrade after having them on a few different pairs.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, 2.ooohhh said:

gI've had the pleasure of using some Peltor 500s and they are nice, not throw away my MSA's nice, but certainly what I would recommend to someone in the market currently who's serious about shooting. 

I think it's probably worth comparing some statistics about the Peltor 500's and the MSA Supremes.  Remember, with NRR the higher the number the more noise reduction they are capable of.

MSA Supreme Pro-X

• $260.06 current price on Amazon
  • NRR = 18 dB

Peltor Tactical 500

• $119.99 current price on Amazon
  • NRR = 26 dB

Even if you add the Peltor Camelback gel cups ($44.97 currently on Amazon) to the Tactical 500s, you are sitting at $164.96 for the combo.  That's practically $100 cheaper.

I am not saying the MSA muffs aren't nice  and you might be using a different version of them that is cheaper or has a higher NRR factor, but they are generally priced up around what my Pro Ears muffs were.  And it was definitely a case of, "Stop using the Pro Ears in favor of the Tactical 500's" for me.  Loud harmful noises are just a lot quieter with the 500's than with my Pro Ears.

Sam's Club has the Walker Razor on sale for about $32.  A couple of people have told me they like them.

I have a pair of inexpensive Caldwell's (<= $35) and they are ok.  Comparing the two I think the Walker's appear to be better made.  I double up and use plugs also when in an indoor range and when outside if shooter next to me is shooting something I find to be extremely loud.  

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I think it's probably worth comparing some statistics about the Peltor 500's and the MSA Supremes.  Remember, with NRR the higher the number the more noise reduction they are capable of.

MSA Supreme Pro-X

• $260.06 current price on Amazon
  • (published on packaging)NRR = 18 dB

Peltor Tactical 500

• $119.99 current price on Amazon
  • (published on packaging)NRR = 26 dB

Even if you add the Peltor Camelback gel cups ($44.97 currently on Amazon) to the Tactical 500s, you are sitting at $164.96 for the combo.  That's practically $100 cheaper.

I am not saying the MSA muffs aren't nice  and you might be using a different version of them that is cheaper or has a higher NRR factor, but they are generally priced up around what my Pro Ears muffs were.  And it was definitely a case of, "Stop using the Pro Ears in favor of the Tactical 500's" for me.  Loud harmful noises are just a lot quieter with the 500's than with my Pro Ears.

Published NRR as prescribed by OSHA(though some manufacturer's use one OSHA standard and others use another for advertising) is actually a horrible standard to judge an electronic ear muff intended specifically for gunfire protection, a sound which typically occurs in the 1k-4k range almost exclusively. Happy to expand on it if you like but I will say comparing hearing protection for the avid shooter would make likely make a dull but very informative podcast. I recommend the peltors due to their lower cost and VERY similar real world attenuation at the range. 

A white-paper on some of OSHA's different methods of rating hearing protection in work environments.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
49 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

Published NRR as prescribed by OSHA(though some manufacturer's use one OSHA standard and others use another for advertising) is actually a horrible standard to judge an electronic ear muff intended specifically for gunfire protection, a sound which typically occurs in the 1k-4k range almost exclusively. Happy to expand on it if you like but I will say comparing hearing protection for the avid shooter would make likely make a dull but very informative podcast. I recommend the peltors due to their lower cost and VERY similar real world attenuation at the range. 

A white-paper on some of OSHA's different methods of rating hearing protection in work environments.

With the right handling of the subject,  it might not be THAT dull. But still likely pretty dull. Might not be a bad idea to make that a shorter one. I do think that it might be worth doing though. 

• Like 1