Love child of a S&W 645/4516

xtriggerman

Been on a 45 kick lately. I had bought a 645 back when they were still in production and after shooting groups, I knew something was wrong with its obsession with flyers.  Some how, Smith bored the chamber out of center with the bore. It was pretty drastic. On one side of the chamber throat, the lands had a long taper cut into the bore WITH some of the groove diam. On the opposite side the lands had virtually no tapered throat at all. they just started at full depth just forward the chamber. The woman at S&W CS referred me to the performance center and after I described the issue, he simply sent me a new barrel flat out! He didn't want the gun or the bad barrel back.  Now that was in the early 90's so I don't know whats going on over there these days. Any way, the big 45 was a good shooter with the new barrel but still not great because the slide had its share of walk in battery. Enter everygunpart.com and I spot a parts set for a 4516. Hmmmmm,  My mind goes full retard thinking "carry....carry....carry" Well, it took some mill work up front on both the slide and frame but that's actually great because I was able to machine and hand fit the front end to a really nice no wobble mate up. THIS puppy should shoot! Just finished it up tonight and I love it. Smith blew the 3rd gen when they deleted the checker aluminum back strap for that crappy plastic wrap around garbage on the 4506. Sooo, I got the best of the old world Smith in this little guy IMO. ;)

zcO0qzMl.jpg

TwOqmbrl.jpg

• Like 6
  • 4 months later...

Yup, that's just like me, get most of the way done and then The thought gets crowded out with 2 or 3 other projects. One problem is I'm trying not to shoot where I'm set up because the back stop happens to be about 50 feet away from my water well. A lot of lead in that dirt all ready, This year Im going to have to scrape up that surface dirt with the ol 555E and pile it up for stump hole fill. Then the other kinda break on it is I'v not bought any factory ammo in a long time and don't have but a few hundred right now. I'v got to some how find the time to finish setting up a Dillon 550 I have with a B conversion so the 3500 some once fired 45 brass can get loaded with the large stock of 200g XTP HP's Iv got stacked up. This rebuilding of a Century FAL right now has my attention for the moment.....  Hey did they ever perfect the cloneing process yet?