Private sell of handgun to seller in another state.

The Legion

I have bought and sold several guns on TGO.  On all FTF sales I require a bill of sale which protects both parties.  I have sold guns outside the state of Tennessee and all have gone to FFL's for transfer.  I have a gentleman that I shoot competitively with that would like to purchase one of my guns.  He lives in North Mississippi.  He says it is ok to do a private sell between two parties without a transfer.  Can anyone tell the law concerning a private sell between parties in Tennessee and Mississippi.   I want to make sure I do this correctly.  Thanks

He is 100% wrong.  All firearm transactions that take place across state lines between private parties must go through an FFL.

North Mississippi pretty much is Memphis and vice-versa but it is still a different state.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

He is incorrect. Interstate transfer of firearms requires the use of an ffl. If it is a handgun then the transfer must take place through an ffl in the receiver’s home state. 

Youll have to send or deliver this handgun to an ffl in MS and the buyer will have to fill out a 4473 and undergo a NICS check in MS. 

Relevent US Code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

He is incorrect. Interstate transfer of firearms requires the use of an ffl. If it is a handgun then the transfer must take place through an ffl in the receiver’s home state. 

Youll have to send or deliver this handgun to an ffl in MS and the buyer will have to fill out a 4473 and undergo a NICS check in MS. 

Relevent US Code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

That is the absolute correct statement of the applicable law. 

• Thanks 1