Basic Color Case Hardening set up for beginers

xtriggerman

I wanted a set up to do small receivers up to Rem rolling block size as a max and this was the cheapest way to do it. First I bought a used pottery kiln off Ebay for about 280 if I remember right.

vulcan%20111F%20Kiln_zpsckbebgig.jpg

Now what makes a pottery kiln no good for the intended purpose is they general have a pretty cheap temp regulator. You need a Kiln that will hold 1500 Degrees F within a few degrees. That's where this unit comes in.

PID%20controler_zpslmivmu6u.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-Play-PID-Temperature-Controller-Box-Kiln-Probe-Pottery-Glass-Annealing-/111131612124?hash=item19dff5d3dc

Now comes the tinkering of putting the new controller in the old control panel. I kept the original analog temp gauge just to have a match to the digital add on one.

P1070468_zpssfbbs46l.jpg

This is what it looks like under the lid.

P1070471_zps4fmrv2m9.jpg

Next up was to make a crucible to contain the part and the carbon mix. I had to size it carefully so it would fit inside the small kiln without being to close to the heat coils. heating slow and evenly is part of the equation.

hb3jkSHl.jpg

here it was specifically sized to fit the long griped stevens

N0IYuCBl.jpg

An aerator pipe was fabricated to bubble the water for at least an hour prior to a quench. High oxygen content is needed for good colors. The coiled bottom has a series of tiny holes drill for fine air release.

ghAkGFal.jpg

Here, the bucket is a industrial laundry detergent unit that will hold my 15 gallons of Distilled water from Walmart. The crucible frame holds the container solidly and you can see the window screening that catches the part.

HZvdUEGl.jpg

Here you can see the crucible lift fork that can lift the container out of the kiln and the trap door hook screw driver I made up to yank the trap door open over the water. Quenching must be very close to the water and instantaneous.  If the trap door hesitates to open in one swift motion, Its spoiled, and needs to be repacked and heated again. Ask me how I know :( 

2nIiqvil.jpg

The second receiver I did was this Marlin 47 pump 22. The quench warped the bolt enough to where I had to refit it but it worked out nice in the end.

dGZH34ul.jpg

478qfrml.jpg

d9c1hMJl.jpg

That used to be a fire damage gun that got new wood. The forend I made from an old butt stock scrap

P1070091_zps4g6seene.jpg

• Like 6
  • Admin Team

This is one of these things that even if you have the knowledge, money, and experience to know how to do it right - it still takes a lot of time, patience - and probably not a little luck to get good results.

I appreciate anytime I see someone go to this level of detail to get something right.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...