Any recommendations for AR-10 scope?

First off, Welcome aboard! I have a DPMS LR-308 that I run an old Nikon Monarch (3-9 x 40) on and shoot to medium range (500 - 700 yards). Almost wish I'd gone to the higher power (4-16x42) scope for longer ranges but since most of my shooting with the AR is at 400 and under I don't really need it. I have run the VX2 series scopes in the past and they are exceptionally crisp for their price range but one recommendation I would make is if you want to reach way out (over 600 yards), look at a 50mm objective lens. The added weight and cost is more than made up by the light gathering capabilities of the bigger glass. I currently run the Monarch 3 (3-15x42) and 5 (4-16x42) series scopes on all of my long range rifles and they work very well out to 1000 but I can tell as I get older that I'll need to re-think my choices! Enjoy the rifle, they are addictive!

• Like 1

I have a DPMS Oracle and typically have Leupold scopes on all of my rifles.  After reviewing all of the available options and prices, I chose a Vortex Diamond Back, 4 x 16.  I came close to ordering it from Optics Planet but, happened to been in Huntsville, AL when Cabela's had it grand opening at their new store.

$229.00 for the scope and Leupold QRW mounts on an ARMS riser that I already had in my possession.   The scope compares favorably with the older Leupold Vari XII models and has been 100% reliable and repeatable.

IMG_0198.JPG

• Like 1
On 9/22/2018 at 5:03 PM, Navy Chief said:

First off, Welcome aboard! I have a DPMS LR-308 that I run an old Nikon Monarch (3-9 x 40) on and shoot to medium range (500 - 700 yards). Almost wish I'd gone to the higher power (4-16x42) scope for longer ranges but since most of my shooting with the AR is at 400 and under I don't really need it. I have run the VX2 series scopes in the past and they are exceptionally crisp for their price range but one recommendation I would make is if you want to reach way out (over 600 yards), look at a 50mm objective lens. The added weight and cost is more than made up by the light gathering capabilities of the bigger glass. I currently run the Monarch 3 (3-15x42) and 5 (4-16x42) series scopes on all of my long range rifles scopes and they work very well out to 1000 but I can tell as I get older that I'll need to re-think my choices! Enjoy the rifle, they are addictive!

Thanks, Navy Chief! I'll definitely look into the Monarch 5 (4-16x42). 

On 9/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, tn hp said:

I have a DPMS Oracle and typically have Leupold scopes on all of my rifles.  After reviewing all of the available options and prices, I chose a Vortex Diamond Back, 4 x 16.  I came close to ordering it from Optics Planet but, happened to been in Huntsville, AL when Cabela's had it grand opening at their new store.

$229.00 for the scope and Leupold QRW mounts on an ARMS riser that I already had in my possession.   The scope compares favorably with the older Leupold Vari XII models and has been 100% reliable and repeatable.

IMG_0198.JPG

I did come across the Vortex Diamond 4x16 a couple of times. I checked it up on Amazon and it did have high reviews. I might go with that one. Thanks for your recommendation, tn hp! :)