bud

I have the following factory AR- 15:

1) Rock River Arms LAR Carbine. Have had for about 9 years and has been a great rifle. No issues of any kind. The only issue I would say I have is it seems to be rather heavy,however not so heavy to prevent me buying it again. 

2) LWRCI-DI. Have had for about 6 months and am totally amazed by this gun. It it lightweight, accurate and feature packed. It has Fully Ambidextrous Lower Controls, a keyless bolt carrier and many other feathers. I have had no problems of any kind with this gun. There may be better Rifles out there but I think I’ve found the right one for me. I am planning on buying the R.E.P.R MK 2 before the end of the year. I bought the gun from the gun crew so if your close you may want to stop and check one out. 

• Admin Team

The KAC URX III is my favorite rail of all times.  I love their rifles - but having run several I don’t know that they be my TEOTWAKI walking around choice.  They’re picky - and parts are expensive and can be hard to find.  

I think my off the shelf rig right now would be a Noveske Gen 4 PDW  or a straight up  Gen III with a switchblock. They’re both available in 16” setups.  

The LWRC IC-A2 is a great shooting setup, too.  

All of this assumes 5.56.  

I personally don’t see the point of buying a “factory made” AR when you can get closer to what you want by putting one together, usually much cheaper.  Accuracy and reliability-wise I’d put one of my $500 Palmetto State creations up against any four digit dollar rifles.

• Like 5

Bud, you specified TEOTWAWKI so I'd want a basic rifle that could be thrown in the trunk or pickup bed, dragged through the mud and weeds, dropped in the creek, and still function. for that I'd stay with a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine. It has several things going for it, (1) fixed sights (no optics to get knocked or batteries to go dead), (2) proven battle tough design, (3) inexpensive (though you didn't limit the cost), (4) readily available, and (5) light and handy.  It may be ugly as homemade sin but I would trust it to run clean, dirty, fresh out of the box or beat to crap.

Now for what I'd like if I could just rub my magic lamp? Barrett REC-7, Gen II, Multi-Mission ... just 'cause it's way cool! Piston gun, Forged upper and lower, Precision barrel (1:7), Geissele SSA Trigger, Percision Reflex sights, and backed by Barret. What more can you ask for?

Hope you get your dream toy!

If I'm going to buy a high end rifle it is going to start with one of the following:

DD

Noveske

KAC

Having said that, I own 2 factory AR pattern rifles. Both are S&W. The first is a VTAC. Love the gun. It has been through 10+ classes and has never failed. I've never had a failure of any type on it. I'm closing in on 20k rounds through it. I'm starting to look at a replacement barrel but it is still minute of Mark A accurate.

The other rifle is a M&P 10 that I swapped parts on to 100% mimic the VTAC. It runs great as well. I only have about 1,200 rounds through it but I do not remember any issues with it.

I'm not even close to a gun whisperer but when I get a new one I take it apart as far as I am qualified to do so, clean it, lube it and put it back together. I then dry fire it 100 times a night for a week. The last 50 are with practice rounds. It is then put back through the cleaning routine. After that I beat the snot out of them.

Modern firearms are pretty good in general. We live in great times....

• Like 2

There’s been tests that show mlok is stronger but imo I don’t think there’s much difference. However, I do think that mlok generally looks better.

Here’s a picture of my 18” DMR version in the tungsten grey. It’s a got a vortex strike eagle 1-8 that I’ll probably upgrade in the future and a Geissele SSA-E trigger. 

C78DD746-9F6D-4214-B1A2-F18E10AC7CFB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

The OBR variants are great rigs.  

Note that they’re running proprietary uppers, though.  Good accuracy with the free-floating barrel system - but you might trade off some field interchangeability if that’s important to you.  

I’ve always liked their “tool roll” bag for the OBRs.  

• Moderators
15 hours ago, bud said:

Good to hear another fan of the Rec7.

You brought up another issue I have to decide on. 

Keymod or Mlok?

I'm not heavily invested in either (don't have anything with Mlok currently) and i don't plan to hang anything more than a light off the rail anyway. 

Which would you choose and why?

I would say that Keymod is the Betamax to MLok’s VHS, except that Betamax was the superior format. That’s not true here. Keymod is weaker and more prone to accessories breaking free in rough use or when dropped. MLok is a stronger and more robust system. 

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I would say that Keymod is the Betamax to MLok’s VHS, except that Betamax was the superior format. That’s not true here. Keymod is weaker and more prone to accessories breaking free in rough use or when dropped. MLok is a stronger and more robust system. 

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/05/details-on-the-ussocom-sponsored-keymod-vs-m-lok-test-conducted-at-nswc-crane/

I have both. Neither one is gonna break easy. MLok looks better IMO. I like BCM handguards, and have two of their keymod handguards. Next one will be an MLok.

Keymod KMR.jpg

MLok MCMR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
11 minutes ago, bud said:

Easy enough. MLok it is. 

@MacGyver, and @mikegideon,

So in terms of the interchangeability limitations of the proprietary Larue upper, I can slap any upper on their lower, but swapping rails or barrels on the upper is the only limitation, right?

If im correct, I'd be ok with that I think, as I'm guessing I'm as likely to salvage a complete upper in an emergency as I am to just salvage a handguard or barrel or gas block. Please point out any other downside I'm missing though. Thanks for the help.

Any 'mil-spec' upper should mate with the lower.  They're billet machined, and the profile may be a bit different. But, those cosmetic differences shouldn't affect function.

• Thanks 1