Wisdom teeth extraction and problems

res308

Thought I'd reach out to the local tribe here for a little perspective. This past Thursday I finally went to the dentist and had my lower wisdom teeth extracted. Of course I discovered that waiting until you are 50 years old to have this done is absolutely the right thing to do! (BITTER SARCASM!) They were hurting me so badly that the pain had finally topped out my high level of pain tolerance, not to mention the fact that I had grown weary of feeling constant, never-ending pressure. They offered the options of the anesthetic to put you to sleep (just like actual normal, sane people would do), or they could administer the numbing agent without putting you to sleep. Being a little leery of being put to sleep, and not knowing how much gear my wife would find out about as I was coming off of that stuff, I opted to stay awake. Note to self: THAT WAS STUPID! 

At any rate, I had it done. I became amused a couple of times at the poor dentist. Those bottom two were embedded so thoroughly in the jaw bone that they had to be cut and broken apart. The poor dentist was having to pry so hard that, with my warped sense of humor, a couple of times I pictured him standing over me with either a 3 pound sledge hammer or a crow bar, or both.

That was quite an interesting experience. Which brings me to the problem. I haven't really been sore like I thought I would. BUT, I felt nauseous for a couple days, as well as feeling just drained. I also felt chilled at times, as if I was running a fever. Now I know that sometimes when the human body goes through some various types of physical trauma it can cause some blood vessels in the eye to burst causing the blood shot eyes appearance. At least I think I know that. Mine are. Especially my right eye. My right eye looks absolutely horrible, with a large bloody patch in it. My wife is worried about it, and now I'm starting to wonder if I need to go get this checked out.

Anyone have any experience with this and/or any thoughts on this?

Edited by res308
spelling

If I read your post correctly, you probably have a subscleral hemorrhage. If your not seeing red (literally not metaphysically) from the experience or the redness does not cross into the iris (colored part of eye) this is probably your diagnosis. Subsceral hemorrhages  generally resolve spontaneously within a few days without any specific treatment. 

Good luck with your recovery. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, mhmd said:

If I read your post correctly, you probably have a subscleral hemorrhage. If your not seeing red (literally not metaphysically) from the experience or the redness does not cross into the iris (colored part of eye) this is probably your diagnosis. Subsceral hemorrhages  generally resolve spontaneously within a few days without any specific treatment. 

Good luck with your recovery. 

The redness is slightly into the iris.

I wasn’t having any issues with my wisdom teeth besides the difficulty of cleaning behind them. Last month my dentist suggested that I have them removed, and sent me to the same oral surgeon that my entire family uses. 

I wasn’t looking forward to the procedure, but it was fast and painless. My mouth stopped bleeding in four hours, and I resumed normal eating the next day. I guess I got lucky. 

Get yourself checked immediately, and I hope it’s nothing serious. 

I had all 4 of mine removed in high school. I went completely under as all 4 were impacted well below the surface. The surgery went fine and they all came out in pieces.

The next few days were utterly miserable. It felt like my jaw got pounded with a hammer.  They packed all 4 sockets with gauze to help with the bleeding. The blood would clot on the gauze, so changing it pulled the scabs out and made it bleed even more. They eventually healed but it was awful. 

That said, I'd definitely get it checked out. A friend's mom nearly died from a gum infection. The infection got into her blood and ruined a heart valve. She had open heart surgery to replace the valve because she didn't want to go to the dentist. 

I had all 4 of mine removed right after I graduated high school, two at a time.  Oral Surgeon indicated that the roots were wrapped around the jawbone on all 4 teeth and he had to dig/retrieve the tip(s) of the roots out of the pockets on only one or two roots.  He got lucky or I did, not sure which.  I was only numbed up, not put to sleep, and the only pain meds I got were a 6 pack of beer for each trip to the oral surgeon.  That's what he recommended and I followed the doc's orders.  I did take all of the medicine tho.  😁

5 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

I had all 4 of mine removed right after I graduated high school, two at a time.  Oral Surgeon indicated that the roots were wrapped around the jawbone on all 4 teeth and he had to dig/retrieve the tip(s) of the roots out of the pockets on only one or two roots.  He got lucky or I did, not sure which.  I was only numbed up, not put to sleep, and the only pain meds I got were a 6 pack of beer for each trip to the oral surgeon.  That's what he recommended and I followed the doc's orders.  I did take all of the medicine tho.  😁

😎

Well, he didn't recommend anything like that in particular, but I can assure you that I became very intimate with a bottle of 100 proof that evening. That, ibuprofen, and melatonin didn't hurt my feelings at ALL! ;)