Motorcyclists

Sidinman

I hope you take the time and read the whole thing.

Thanks.

JUST A BIKER

I saw you; hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line. But you didn't see me put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday. 

I saw you pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk. But you didn't see me playing Santa at the local Mall. 

I saw you change your mind about going into the restaurant when you saw my bike parked out front. But you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the cyclone relief. 

I saw you roll up your window and shake your head when I rode by. But you didn't see me riding behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window. 

I saw you frown at me when I smiled at your children. But you didn't see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless. 

I saw you stare at my long hair. But you didn't see me and my friends cut it off for cancer research. 

I saw you roll your eyes at our Leather jackets and gloves. But you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old ones to those that had none. 

I saw you look in fright at my tattoos. But you didn't see me cry as my children where born or have their name written over and in my heart. 

I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere. But you didn't see me going home to be with my family. 

I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be. But you didn't see me when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you yelling at your kids in the car. But you didn't see me pat my child's hands knowing she was safe behind me. 

I saw you reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road. But you didn't see me squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn. 

I saw you race down the road in the rain. But you didn't see me get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date. 

I saw you run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time. But you didn't see me trying to turn right. 

I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But you didn't see me leave the road. 

I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass. But you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you go home to your family. But you didn't see me. Because I died that day you cut me off. 

I was just a biker. A person with friends and a family. But you didn't see me. 

Repost this around in hopes that people will understand the biker community.

If you don't repost this, it sucks to be you. I hope you never lose someone that rides.

EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE US, RESPECT OUR RIGHTS TO RIDE WHAT WE CHOOSE AND TAKE A FEW EXTRA SECONDS TO BE SURE WE ARE NOT IN 'YOUR' WAY 

RP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not trying to crap on your sentiment; it is very valid!  I'm giving a thumbs up to your post.  But, I feel the need to add something.  There is always a Yin AND a Yang.  And, I hope implication is not that people would disregard a biker's safety, because of his/her appearance.  

I'm a rider.  We should ride like everyone is out to kill us.  People are not "tuned" to watch for motorcycles.  It doesn't matter what someone thinks about anyone else, each individual has rights, but accidents happen; the outcome is just much worse for the biker.  And, I gotta say...… seems like most motorcycle accidents that I've heard about, recently, are single vehicle (rider fault.)  I've been in a truck, and had a biker cut so closely in front of me that it caused me to hard brake (trying to avoid the bike.)  Younger people, whether in a car, or on a bike think they are immortal.  I've also been on my bike, and had another motorcyclist create a dangerous situation close by.  I have also been nearly compromised by 4 wheelers and even 18 wheelers.  Fortunately, I have a decent survival instinct.  I can almost feel the hair rise, on my neck, close to intersections.  I avoid the blind spot of 18 wheelers, even if it means briefly exceeding the speed limit.  I have had to give up my right of way to avoid vehicles encroaching into my lane.

Let's get to the point that the public is "tuned" to watch for all vehicles, but let's not ride a bike as though we were in an SUV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get what the OP is saying. I work with a guy who is an MC biker. He rides with TKOP Riders (Those Kind Of People). He looks like a biker and rides with like people. He is one of the nicest, funniest guys you would ever want to know. He would do anything to help you out. His club does multiple charity functions a year raising lots of money for people in need. Knowing him certainly changed the way I thought about bikers.

• Like 1

I'm not biker per-say, I do ride a bike and my hair is long.

And sure there are stoopid bike riders also.

Seen them first hand.

I just saw this and thought it could bring some light into who alot of those that are,

and what they are about.

Heck none of us are perfect.

This weekend I rode in a charity ride to help a young lady that has cancer.

Thanks for reading and posting your comments.

If you ride, ride safe and watch out for the cell phone users.

RP

• Like 2

Perception is reality. Like every other group bikers have their percentage that are causing the issues. 

It does seem that drivers these days are absolutely stupid. Phones, food, radios, kids, and a ton of distractions. Scary in a car or on a bike. 

• Like 3
On 9/23/2018 at 11:15 AM, Sidinman said:

I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But you didn't see me leave the road. 

This happened to me on the interstate at 60 MPH. Blue hair never looked, I did not wreck, I am good and God was looking. Sold the bike the next week, and have not been on 2 wheels since, been 35 plus years. Old cage drivers are bad.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, RED333 said:

This happened to me on the interstate at 60 MPH. Blue hair never looked, I did not wreck, I am good and God was looking. Sold the bike the next week, and have not been on 2 wheels since, been 35 plus years. Old cage drivers are bad.

My experience also. Then I got tagged by an 85 yr old dowager in a bigass buick while riding a seriously sweet lightweight pedal pusher. Ain't life a beyatch

• Like 2