TN laws regarding shooting distance from roads?

Greetings,

I can't really find a good place to put this thread, so I'll try it here.  I'm setting up a shooting range at home, which is very rural.  I already have the berm, and shoot pistols on occasion, but I want to clear a lane and put up a shooting bench for longer range shooting.  The problem is that the bench will need to be located near (50ft maybe) a paved road, though of course shooting away from the road in a safe direction.  I've heard of laws in some states that require any firearm discharge to be more than XX distance from a road, but I can't find any such law in TN.  I figure I'll probably end up asking the local police, but I just want to try to do my homework before I do. 

Can anyone point me to any law in TN regarding this?  Would it be more likely to be a state law, or local law?

Thanks,

Rusty

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.  That pretty much confirms what I've found as well.  Nearly all were hunting, but one did state that it was never OK to shoot "across" a road, which is pretty obvious in most cases.  These days I shoot mostly high end air rifles, so it won't matter for those anyway, but I do have some powder burners as well. 

Thanks,

Rusty

Edited by 13brv3
13 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Read Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-316

I've read through that several times now and I still don't know what it says... 

Their definition of "range" mentions "any other shooting activity", which would likely include air rifles.  The only distances it gives seem to relate to ranges that are open to the public, so that wouldn't apply.  

Thanks,

Rusty

17 minutes ago, 13brv3 said:

I've read through that several times now and I still don't know what it says... 

Their definition of "range" mentions "any other shooting activity", which would likely include air rifles.  The only distances it gives seem to relate to ranges that are open to the public, so that wouldn't apply.  

Thanks,

Rusty

That’s why I thought you should read it and be aware of it. As I read it; it applies to both individual ranges and public ranges that aren’t violating local ordinances, codes or laws; with the exception of d.

Of course it would all depend on how and why it became an issue. Having a talk with a Command Officer from the agency that would respond to a call there can’t hurt. They probably won’t address codes, but they should be able to tell you what would happen with a noise complaint or shooting/safety/ complaint.