SW .38 Revolver Identification and Evaluation

GlockSpock

• Moderators

A coworker has the following gun for sale. I am considering buying it. I think it is a Model 10 with 4" barrel. Does that identification seem correct? I'll admit that I don't know much about revolvers. He quoted me a specific price, which I'll keep to myself for now.

Is it a Model 10? What does a decent price seem? Is it worth more in current condition or reblued? I understand that rebluing typically kills any collector value, but since this is already in rough shape and I doubt a rare piece it probably doesn't have much collector value to begin with. If the timing is good and the bluing redone, it could make a good shooter. I assume, if one wanted, they could purchase new/like new grips easily.

If I get it, it'd probably mainly be for a project gun. I'm never tried bluing anything and it seems like a fun project. 

yKqXLkr.jpg

kAvH3Ve.jpg

Edited by GlockSpock

I believe that is a post-war pre-model 10 M&P.  It became the model 10 when numbering started in 1957. 

I bet its an excellent shooter as it looks now.  In that condition it would be hard to pay more than $200 for it and that's being generous.  Looks like there might be some pitting as well which makes refinishing even more difficult.

This is an example of why one should not leave fine old revolvers in a holster.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
27 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I could be wrong but I do not remember my model 10's having the large SW logo on the right side.

As for price I would think $200-$250.

5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I believe that is a post-war pre-model 10 M&P.  It became the model 10 when numbering started in 1957. 

I bet its an excellent shooter as it looks now.  In that condition it would be hard to pay more than $200 for it and that's being generous.

5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It kind of hurts my feelings to see a gun with that character get refinished.

Be careful with the bluing chemicals if you try it - that stuff is pretty toxic.

He's asking $200.00. So I guess that is rather quite in line with market value. I figured it would be old, but I didn't really think it'd be from the 50's. But then after reading a bit about them online it seems it probably is from about that time period. 

@MacGyver For both the reasons you stated (character + bluing chemicals), I think I'll hold off. It does seem fun, but I can totally find other things to do as well. I'm not DYING for something to do :D

I have 2 pre-war "pre Model 10" types (M&P Model 1905) so this peaked my interest. Care to share most of the sn? I am sure we can get you a year. 

Is there a model # in the crane yoke. The 1957 change started that I think. Before that the number there was an assembly number.

Looks like this

gVZX6sd.jpg

Here is the latest one I bought.

TQ8ftv4.jpg

Edited by Ronald_55
Pics

Its definitely a S&W Military and Police (M&P) Pre-Model 10.  Its a 5 screw model and has the round front sight which was changed to a ramp in 1952. From the hammer shape, I'm guessing late 1940s - early 50s.  Need a serial number to get any closer. 

If the bore and timing are good, $200 is a good price. I'd buy it. 

This one is just one of many, many shooter grade guns out there. Refinishing this gun won't hurt it any. In this case it would probably add to the value. S&W has made millions of M&Ps  over the last 100+ years. True collector guns have to be in mint condition to attract any interest.

BTW: I've had excellent results with Blue Wonder. Follow the instructions and you can get a really nice finish. ;)

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Two more photos, after realizing where the important bits are on a SW revolver:) I "magicked away" the last serial digit using Photoshop.

ZDtNJG9.jpg

ZsESiSt.jpg

I found this website:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/how-to-identify-date-a-s-w.68254/

So, for serial 21852* (again, last serial disappeared using Photoshop), it looks like:

C1 - C233,999………….....1948 – 52

Am I looking at that correctly?

57 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

So, for serial 21852* (again, last serial disappeared using Photoshop), it looks like:

C1 - C233,999………….....1948 – 52

Am I looking at that correctly?

Yes.  You could also infer that it was probably made in '52.

• Moderators

I'm torn. I don't own any revolvers. They typically are not my think. I really, really do like the nostalgia of holding a revolver and shooting a revolver, but I'd rather spend my money something like a Glock or similar.

However, I've always wanted a GP-100 in 6" Stainless. This S&W doesn't really mark any of those tick marks (stainless, .357, 6" barrel). But I do sort of want it. So oh, I don't know.

58 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I'm torn. I don't own any revolvers. They typically are not my think. I really, really do like the nostalgia of holding a revolver and shooting a revolver, but I'd rather spend my money something like a Glock or similar.

However, I've always wanted a GP-100 in 6" Stainless. This S&W doesn't really mark any of those tick marks (stainless, .357, 6" barrel). But I do sort of want it. So oh, I don't know.

It doesn't do much for me either but for $200 you're not making a huge investment. You could keep it a few months or a few years and probably sell it for the same price if you were bored with it. You and I have similar tastes. The GP100's are awesome. 

Heck, $200 ain't much money these days. If you decide you don't like it, you can always resell and probably at a small profit. 

If I was at your end of the state and it checked out mechanically, I snatch it up in a heartbeat just because of the price. Then I'd refinish it just for a fun project. And I already own several and have absolutely no need for it. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Heck, $200 ain't much money these days. If you decide you don't like it, you can always resell and probably at a small profit. 

If I was at your end of the state and it checked out mechanically, I snatch it up in a heartbeat just because of the price. Then I'd refinish it just for a fun project. And I already own several and have absolutely no need for it. :rolleyes:

Since when is "need" applicable to gun purchases?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Much to everyone's disappointment I'm sure, but he sold it to someone else yesterday evening.

I'm relieved, as now I don't have to make a decision!

We’re disappointed for you as you’ll never the joy of a classic old revolver.  :drama:

• Like 1