SW .38 Revolver Identification and Evaluation

GlockSpock

I have a pre-model 10 I bought 10 years ago with a holster for $250

Very nice condition only a bit of holster wear and the usual ring around the cylinder. 

Never got used to the original grips and was hoping to eventually get one of those vintage Tyler T adapters.

Ended up putting an ugly pachmyer grip on it. Feels good now but yech!👎

Have been warned no Plus P ammo but have read 38 special back in the 40s and 50s was equal to plus p today.

Never found out the truth but have mistakenly shot quite a bit of plus p out of it one day and it did no harm.

Perfect gun for the nightstand and an easy shooter for ladies with little recoil from the all metal frame and the simplicity of having no safety or slide to rack.

• Like 1
On October 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM, OLDNEWBIE said:

Very nice condition only a bit of holster wear and the usual ring around the cylinder. 

Never got used to the original grips and was hoping to eventually get one of those vintage Tyler T adapters.

Have been warned no Plus P ammo but have read 38 special back in the 40s and 50s was equal to plus p today.

Never found out the truth but have mistakenly shot quite a bit of plus p out of it one day and it did no harm.

Perfect gun for the nightstand and an easy shooter for ladies with little recoil from the all metal frame and the simplicity of having no safety or slide to rack.

I did a bit of research when I had a few colt police models and from what I can recall SAAMI changed the pressure of the .38 in the late 60's or maybe 70's? Todays +P is closer to original spec but a bit higher maybe? 

I pretty quickly abandoned the idea of shooting any +P out of them; couldn't come up with any good reason to do so when standard .38s are just as plentiful and cheap. If I were in a position to were I had to dedicate one of these old guns to defensive duty I would either just roll with the standard loads, or more realistically get a modern firearm. These oldies can still shoot, but I don't see the appeal in making them actually work for their supper anymore either.

• Like 1

The issue with the older revolvers and +P ammo is the heat treatment of cylinders, frames and other parts. These older guns just aren't quite as strong as their newer counterparts.  +P ammo won't make them blow up or anything dangerous. In fact, occasional use of +P is ok. But use of +P  will accelerate normal wear and shorten the life of the gun.  This is why its generally recommended to stick to standard loads in the older guns. 

• Moderators
On 10/1/2018 at 8:21 PM, OLDNEWBIE said:

:D

I figured my Glock makes a good candidate for a nightstand gun. Simplicity of having no safety and no slide to rack. Easy shooter too, it's only 9mm:) Plus has a flashlight and 15 + 1 capacity :D

• Like 1
On 9/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, GlockSpock said:

Much to everyone's disappointment I'm sure, but he sold it to someone else yesterday evening.

I'm relieved, as now I don't have to make a decision!

No worries. You only cheated yourself; not us. Sounds like you made some other guy happy, however.

If you were in the same time zone as me, I'd gladly let you come over and shoot one...or several.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

No worries. You only cheated yourself; not us. Sounds like you made some other guy happy, however.

If you were in the same time zone as me, I'd gladly let you come over and shoot one...or several.

You could cure him of wanting that GP-100 at the same time.