Nashville officer charged in shooting

Erik88

3 minutes ago, bud said:

Don't really know about any of the other anecdotal examples you mention. I'm only speaking as an (almost) lifelong resident of the urban core of Davidson County with multiple family members in law enforcement here. I'm not some bleeding-heart, soft on crime guy. My opinions are purely my own, but they are well-founded and informed. I support the police and support improved community relations. I think the police chief does a great job and is of a similar mind.

As are mine, though I've only been in TN for 19 years.  I keep track of Davidson and Rutherford county crime because I have kids living there, and of course here in Montgomery county,  My comment on being soft on crime is not limited to just Davidson county of course, it is country wide.  Many of the criminals that commit murder, and other violent felonies, have been through the "justice" system, and should not be walking around to commit those additional murders.  Heck here is a prime example: 

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/clarksville-murder-suspect-who-fled-during-furlough-is-back-in-custody/

On 1/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, DaveTN said:

Chuck, one night myself and another Officer was dispatched to a business on a burglar alarm. It was a business where the alarm went off a lot and was always false.

As I approached the building I could see from the street people in the building. The other Officer was right behind me. I blacked out and rolled into the lot. They had seen me and took off running for the door. The first suspect went out the door and I gave chase on foot. The other Officer put his squad on the door and blocked the 2nd suspect inside. 2 white males that appeared to be adults.

We ran across the street (about 100 yards) and into a wide open field. A short distance into the field the suspect stopped and turned and faced me. He was pulling something out of his waistband that I thought was a gun; but I was not absolutely sure. My choice was to do something or wait to see what he was doing. I fired a warning shot into the ground feet in front of him. It went through my mind that we had a department policy against firing warning shots, but my only other option was to kill him. When I did that he turned around and continued to run.

At that time we could shoot fleeing forcible felons; burglary was a forcible felony. As we crossed the field he was approaching a building. My thought was that if he made it to that corner; he had cover to shoot me. I fired at him. The bullet hit the corner of the building as he went around the corner. Other Officers had arrived and were coming around the other end of the building. As I rounded the corner those Officers had him at gunpoint and he had his hands in the air. He had no gun. When I asked him what he was pulling out of the front of his pants he said he didn’t have anything.

Turns out he was a 16 year old juvenile, home on leave from reform school. He was taken to HQ by other Officers and turned over to Juvenile Officers.

Command Officers came to the scene to see what happened with the shooting. When I told them what happened one of them said “We have a department policy against warning shots.” I replied with “Screw that, department policy won’t save me if I’m on trial. I have to be able to use anything I have to keep from killing someone; that is what I did.”

As we were getting ready to leave, the Juvenile Officer radioed us and told us to stay there, he was sending the Fire Department out; they would explain. When they arrived they said “your suspect threw a gun on the roof.” They pulled a loaded 6” Model 66 off the roof.

The 16 year old told the Detectives when he turned on me; he was going to shoot me. He didn’t expect me to fire so he ran for cover. He saw the other Officers approaching from the other way and knew he was caught. Otherwise he would have shot me once he got to cover. As he rounded the corner they weren’t there yet and he threw the gun on the roof. They never saw the gun.

I am alive today because I violated department policy and fired my weapon. So is he, because if I hadn’t been in a wide open field, if there had been people around; I would have shot him. Even though he never got a chance to point his gun at me; one of us would have probably been dead when I rounded that corner. After that incident our department policy was changed.

I didn’t make him burglarize that building; I didn’t make him run, I didn’t make him have a gun, and I didn’t make him try to kill me. He did all that because he was a dirt bag criminal with no regard for life.

The protection of violent criminals has gone too far. Law abiding citizens and cops that have to use deadly force to protect themselves from dirt bag criminals should have that protection; not them. So having been in the same situation this is very personal for me. By the time you see the weapon pointed at you; it’s too late.

I feel terrible that the officials have turned their back on this Police Officer, and all other Police Officers, and sided with a thug carrying a gun. It’s reasonable to believe he would have shot the Officer.

Yes, he will probably he acquitted. But he or no other Officer or citizen should have to go through what is being done to him.

Im a firm believer in looking at the facts in deadly force cases. 

On 9/28/2018 at 9:46 AM, Erik88 said:

How was he even out on the streets? I thought felon in possession of a firearm carried a 10 year sentence typically. Then he did it again. 

Exactly why I say more gun laws won't make a difference to criminals, just the law abiding public. 10 years won't solve the problem either, a public hanging with the news crew filming it would have some solutions!!

Thank you Defender, I wouldn't be an LE if it paid $1,000 per hour. Glad the outcome was good for you.

Edited by Dirtshooter
additional comment
  • Moderators

Once again they overcharged. They (almost) always overcharge in these cases and that’s why the officers (almost) always walk. At some point you have to stop believing it’s over eagerness or incompetence and suspect that it’s intentional. 

Just now, Chucktshoes said:

Once again they overcharged. They (almost) always overcharge in these cases and that’s why the officers (almost) always walk. At some point you have to stop believing it’s over eagerness or incompetence and suspect that it’s intentional. 

Almost as good as jury nullification. 

27 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Only if you like the state working against the people for injustice as opposed to the people working against the state for justice. 

I feel this is just a bunch of pandering to their future constituency.  They just want to appear to be trying to get "justice", knowing they will garner the votes of the leftists and minority community that make up a large voting block in Davidson county.  If they would put their energy into catching, prosecuting, and keeping in prison, those criminals, such as the deceased, then there would be fewer of these incidents. 

What gets me is that there are plenty of definite bad acts by government officials, and yes LEO, to be choosing incidents like this to make a case on.  Then they could actually get votes on both sides of the aisle. But no, they latch on to anything which goes viral regardless of the facts.  

• Like 2
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, Omega said:

I feel this is just a bunch of pandering to their future constituency.  They just want to appear to be trying to get "justice", knowing they will garner the votes of the leftists and minority community that make up a large voting block in Davidson county.  If they would put their energy into catching, prosecuting, and keeping in prison, those criminals, such as the deceased, then there would be fewer of these incidents. 

What gets me is that there are plenty of definite bad acts by government officials, and yes LEO, to be choosing incidents like this to make a case on.  Then they could actually get votes on both sides of the aisle. But no, they latch on to anything which goes viral regardless of the facts.  

You might have just found the one thing we agree on. This is all just show for political gain in how it is being handled. 

17 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

First degree murder? You have got to be kidding me. It’s not over eagerness or incompetence; it’s political on the part of the DA and the Mayor. Which makes it malicious prosecution.

It’s time for the state AG to step in, and if he doesn’t the Feds need to step in. Of course no one will step in and do what’s right because they are willing to sacrifice a cop.

Metro cops need to walk off the job.

• Like 1