Remember about 10 years ago.... when

I remember going to the gun show and seeing guys with two wheelers rolling out the door with the two wheeler full of 762x39 ammo that they bought for $99 a case. The non corrosive had 990 rounds {I think} in a case and the corrosive had 1190 rounds in a case. AK's and SKS's were $69- $79 each depending on condition. Some were unfired, some had folding stocks. Who would have guessed that stamped out piece of crap would go up in value 8-10 times. I remember the rifle range at the club 4-6 inches deep with steel cases. Those were the days. The middle and lower income guys could afford to buy and feed a high powered rifle. The dealers were even selling the empty cases the guns came in.

My second wife had a Lorcin  .380 when we first met, tried it out , jam o matic and definitely no accuracy. Some other lucky guy gave me $100  for it, probably still cussing me. After shooting it told my wife just as well take a pocket full of rocks and throw them as they would be more effective than the Lorcin.                           

I remember a little further back, seeing m1 carbines piled up on gun show tables for $150, take your pick. I don't remember what the Garands and 1911s were going for, but not much more. SKSs were $49. I also don't remember how much more the AKs were, but not much.

I still have a few of these milsurps, and a while back, dug out a case of Norinco 762x39 ammo I paid $100 for. That stuff shoots great!

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I remember a little further back, seeing m1 carbines piled up on gun show tables for $150, take your pick. I don't remember what the Garands and 1911s were going for, but not much more. SKSs were $49. I also don't remember how much more the AKs were, but not much.

I still have a few of these milsurps, and a while back, dug out a case of Norinco 762x39 ammo I paid $100 for. That stuff shoots great!

gregintenn, you just ain't old enough. I got '68 American Rifleman magazines with carbines a lot cheaper than that.

• Like 1

If you recall, last year I sold off my late friend's collection for his wife. He was real big into those old mil-surp guns. He had about six Mosins and a dozen SKSs along with quite a few other similar mil-surp guns. I sold all of these for double or triple what he paid for them and was still far enough under current retail that they went very quickly. The same goes for all the mil-surp ammo he had stockpiled. His investment paid off very well for his family. 

I'm afraid those days are over. :(

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, jeff43 said:

I got a Aim surplus catalog from fall 2006 ,  it has M44's for $69.95, M38's $89.95,Czech 7.62x54R 800 rds. $69.95

Yugo SKS exc. cond. $149.95

South African 308 ammo 980 rds. 189.00

Romanian 7.62x25 1224 spam can 109.95

I think I still have some bandoliers/blister packs of that south African...I used to buy A LOT of ammo anytime it was a "deal"