Prices and the gun market

reed1285

Let me start out by saying I have been out of the scene for a little while, while I adjusted to some new life events that took place. I have just recently started to dip my toes back in the hobby, and after really looking around at some of my past go to web sites for guns and ammo, all I can say is wow! It seems as though you cant hardly give an AR away right now. I was checking out some of PSA's deals and right now you can build your own brand new one for $350 (daily deal). Furthermore, whats up with Mosin Nagants? Even Aimsurplus is at $300 for a bottom of the barrel model 91/30? I didnt even give that for my almost pristine M44 carbine just a few years ago. Even here in our own classifieds section, great deals are going unnoticed. I was prowling around in there yesterday and saw a converted Saiga 12 listed at $650 with no bites! I have at least 1K in my converted S12. That was just one among many though. Lastly, ammo. It is the cheapest I have seen it in a longgg time, which is great! Please remember I am just now really stopping to take a look around after a roughly 3 year hiatus, so you can imagine my shock at what I am seeing.

When I look at the classified here I can tell some folks have not gotten the memo that prices are down. If you're having to bump a thread 100 times and the gun hasn't sold, you've got it priced too high. Folks would be better off waiting until prices go back up rather than sell at a big discount now. Now, if you're not in a hurry, there is nothing wrong with staying firm on the price, just don't expect it to sell anytime soon. Now is definitely a good time to buy. I'd hate to be in a position where I HAD to sell though. 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

When I look at the classified here I can tell some folks have not gotten the memo that prices are down. If you're having to bump a thread 100 times and the gun hasn't sold, you've got it priced too high. Folks would be better off waiting until prices go back up rather than sell at a big discount now. Now, if you're not in a hurry, there is nothing wrong with staying firm on the price, just don't expect it to sell anytime soon. Now is definitely a good time to buy. I'd hate to be in a position where I HAD to sell though. 

I agree, some were purchased at a much higher price than they were possibly worth so now there is no way to even get close to the purchase price.  I have a Smith and Wesson M&P Flattop that I have at least $1000 in, nothing special about it, and there is no way I can begin to sell it for what it will sell for, but, many suffer from the upgrade syndrome, the price tries to break even on all the upgrades.  I'm not an upgrade junky, or a brand snob so those prices do not attract me,

This is a buyers market, specially for ARs, I would be getting what you have always wanted now, before prices pick back up.

• Moderators

It really is a buyers market. I’ve bought 4 guns in the last month. The election of Donald Trump created a massive relief on pent up pressure in the market. This has had positive and negative effects. I’m sure there are a bunch of folks who thought they had money invested in guns only to find out the return isn’t monetary. 

I just hope the industry players can weather the current market long enough to be there when we need them to lobby folks when things get tough again. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

Right. I am definitely not so naive to think that this will last forever, or even a long time for that matter. Its just crazy how much the market fluctuates dependent, mostly anyways, on the current administration. It is most definitely a buyers market, unless you are in the market for surplus guns like Mosins, SKS's, etc! I really cant believe how much they have risen in price.

I am glad I am not in a position to where I need to sell any guns right now, that's for sure. As I mentioned earlier, I have way more money in some of my firearms than I would ever get back on them in the current market. Im sure many of us here are in the same situation! 

• Like 1

I hear ya ! I was selling my like new S.A. XD9 sub compact with all the trimmings and even the factory test fired envelope for like $340 . I got no bites. But this is a good thing as it had made that same gun way more interesting to me by me taking it out and shooting the living hell outta it ! I am wayyyy more of an XD fan now ! Like it so much I will never sell it . I shot that pistol and just treated it like a stolen car. Never failed and was even testing some experimental reloads I made .

• Like 1

I recently, (a year ago) bit the bullet and got a fair condition SKS. Something I've wanted for a long time. Chinese btw.

Traded a minty 44 marlin JM stamped that I never shot anymore.

I figure the other guy got the better deal but SKSs keep going up in price. Maybe I got the better deal over time.

Youtube has made the surplus market skyrocket.

This is definitely a buyer's market. I totally agree the phenomena  of the "Trump Slump" has effected all aspects of the current market. But any of us that have been a part of the gun culture for any period of time know this is just temporary. Change truly is the only constant imho.

I was a shooter during the Clinton era Gun Ban ('94-2004). There was a significant dip (rightfully so) in market prices after that ban sunset. But we've all experienced the incredible panic driven swings of the past few years. It'll happen again to some extent or another... especially considering the huge cultural/political divisions in our country.

This is an incredible opportunity to stock up on things we've seen become so scarce in our recent past.  .22 rimfire anyone? 🙄

AR mags are practically being given away with ammo purchases. And the quality control of most ammo companies seems to be straightening out since the last mass production efforts threw some glitches into certain brands.

This really is a remarkable period for a shooter.

I too look at the classifieds daily and am incredulous at some of the pricing I see... great bargains and  occasional unrealistic pricing for the current market.

TGO David "stickied" some great suggestions at the top of the classified section. There's some solid advice right there!

Jamie

Edited by prag
spelling
  • Like 1

There are some good guns at good prices in the classifieds.

Seems anything over $500 is tough to sell.

The bumps could be minimized if they were restricted to once a week & communications, questions, glws, & I had one of those, etc..., were limited to PM's. The likes at the bottom do suffice.

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

As much hell as I gave Obama, ain't nobody can get $3500 out of a Deton Ar-15 except him. God bless Barack Obama. He may have been a little slow on the president thing. But he was THE BEST gun salesman of all time.

Very true.

I also agree that NOW is the time to be buying all that you want and can. We all know it is just a matter of time before these golden days disappear.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

This is what I like to refer to as a buying opportunity. Stock up! It will not stay this way.

I agree but most people I know already have more than they'll ever need/shoot in their lives.

Tough to sell when the market's saturated.      However....

If a great deal comes my way, I'll pull the trigger, has to be a killer deal & something I want.

I am buying one Glock 17 mag per month just to be safe and to be "safe" with my wife . She can't complain at one mag per month ! LOL . I was around when the "Clinton era" was here and it sucked ! 15 rd mags were going for $95 or more each !

[

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, AuEagle said:

I agree but most people I know already have more than they'll ever need/shoot in their lives.

Tough to sell when the market's saturated.      However....

If a great deal comes my way, I'll pull the trigger, has to be a killer deal & something I want.

Yeah. I was telling somebody today that I may not live long enough to shoot all of my ammo. I have a few guns I haven't shot too.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

This is what I like to refer to as a buying opportunity. Stock up! It will not stay this way.

Are you saying that when they rid the world of uncouth presidents and rapist judges, they're coming after guns again? I can't wait. People are much nicer to each other when they grabbin'. :)  

For most firearms, it's definitely a buyers market.  The "panics" of the last few years created artificial demand, with huge increases in sales for virtually all guns, now we are seeing the results of those sales by drastically reduced demand.  As for the Mosin market, the primary sources of cheap imports have dried up in the last few years, what you see now is mostly guns being sold on the secondary market.  As with other milsurps in the past, once the flood of imports ends, prices go up correspondingly. There are a few Mosins being advertised now by AIM, Classic, Century and others, it's uncertain whether these represent some small shipments of recent imports, or more likely, the last remaining crates of older guns which have been in storage stateside for years.

22 hours ago, reed1285 said:

It seems as though you cant hardly give an AR away right now. I was checking out some of PSA's deals and right now you can build your own brand new one for $350 (daily deal). Furthermore, whats up with Mosin Nagants? Even Aimsurplus is at $300 for a bottom of the barrel model 91/30? I didnt even give that for my almost pristine M44 carbine just a few years ago. 

There are a couple of AR variants that I've been eyeing for a long time.  Back around 2010 I paid $270 otd for two Mosins and a spam can.  Probably have fired less than 100 rounds of that.  Looks like it may be time to do a MN to AR conversion.

The Mosins were fun when they were dirt cheap, but they are a novelty, and for what they are bringing today there are so many better guns for the money.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, john455 said:

I've been hitting up the pawn shops lately, yesterday I picked up a S&W bodyguard with laser site for $150, and a G43 with 3 mags and Don Hume IWB leather holster for $275. I'm loving it right now.

That's a great deal on both. I hear stories like this every so often but every time I visit a pawn shop I leave shaking my head. Were those shops in Knoxville or Cocke County?