Bud's Gun Shop

3 hours ago, chances R said:

yes it is a large store with a 20 lane indoor range.  Rental counter.  Rifles allowed.  Clothing.  In other words, a big 'candy' store.

LOL, it's definitely that. Separate rooms ( sections ) for long guns & handguns, access. Kinda blew me away. Wasn't expecting that In spite of all that, they didn't have the pistol I was looking for. ( New model of PPS M2 Walther has come out with, with the RSMc red dot sight on it. )

Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

If your going to hit Buds, you also need to hit Smoky Mtn knife works next door. Their ammo prices are a bit better on some types and I saw the same on their guns for some models.  The knife works has expanded their gun area enormously during the last 3 or 4 years.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, martin5 said:

Buds is a really nice store but I've never been able to get good service from the people working there. Not too friendly.

I noticed that too, had to wait quite a long time while the clerk spent some quality time with a friend of his. Only been in there the one time, maybe a bad day, maybe usual way of doing things, Doesn't make for a good 1st impression.

Next time I'm up there, I'll check out the Smoky Mtn Knife works as well.

While we are on the subject, We have a new gun shop here in Crossville in the old Dave's Pawn Shop store just south off exit 317 I-40.  The folks that own the Gun Shop & Trading Post in Livingston set up the second store in Crossville as "The Gun Shop". Their gun prices looked to be pretty reasonable. When it was Dave's, prices were ridiculous. There only like 3 or 4 miles off the exit..... worth a peek for sure.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, martin5 said:

Are they going to open the range back up?

I didn't think to ask about that. That would probably take some doing since it has a bad case of lead contamination from what I'v read. That's what got the place shut down n sold in the first place.

19 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

I didn't think to ask about that. That would probably take some doing since it has a bad case of lead contamination from what I'v read. That's what got the place shut down n sold in the first place.

Don't want to Hijack the thread but yes, Michael and Anthony said they will re-open the range in the Spring after they get the contamination cleaned up and the new make-up air system installed.

Now back on the thread, I've seen the signs but have never been to Buds, it is a couple of hours up the road, are the prices/inventory worth the effort?

It's a pretty nice store. The good thing is that if they don't have what your looking for they can get it from the main store. I overheard them tell a guy that if he found something on the website and bought  it he wouldn't to pay taxes on it.

I drove by both Buds and J Floyds today. I didn't stop either. It's hard to stop. They keep me so busy on my route. As Hank Hill says , I'm pimpin out lady Propane all over this town.

Edited by martin5
Misspelled
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another Buds nightmare. I actually had an employee ask me if I needed any help. I told him I was looking for a 380 and he pointed down the counter. He no longer offered any help. I stood down at the 380's for 20 minutes while same employee plus a few more walked by not offering service. I went to J.Floyds and was in and out in 10 minutes.

• 2 months later...

I am in Bud's (Sevierville), Smky Mtn Guns & Ammo (most refer to that as Smky Mtn Knife Works as it is in the same building), and Floyds Golf and Guns  (closer to down town Sevierville on east side of Hwy 66 and attached to a BP Station). Bud's is on a rode behind Knife Works.

Either of those can have the best price at any given time on AMMO or GUNS.  Some brands are not carried at either store. Some clerks in either store or great and some are not. Some ask you if they can help and some wait until you ask to see a gun.  All that does not bother me, I just look and ask when I want to see something, and I am not that impatient (being a retiree :-)).  

Bud's is nice for looking at rifles as they set out in racks on the floor and are not locked in any way. You can pick them up unsupervised, look at it, point it, dry fire it. I say nice for looking at guns but not so sure about safety. NOTE: I think what if some CRAZY PERSON brings in some rounds and loads up and starts shooting? Not that there are any crazy people with guns in this country. 

BUD's is nice cause if you buy a gun there you also get 30 MIN range time to use within 30 days. BUD's also has a 10 MIN / 10 Rounds / 10 Dollar RANGE THING if interested in buying a gun. You get 10 MIN on range and 10 ROUNDS for $10 to try the gun. A used gun you can try it. A new gun you can try a rental if they have the model at the range. Then if you buy the gun -- the $10 comes off the price. 

Another thing about BUD's is the FFL support if you order a gun online from BUD'S. It's from KY Store and can ship to TN Store for FREE,  FFL Transfer Fee is FREE Fee, only pay Background of $10. Save TN tax also vs buying in the TN store (but most guns online or a bit higher than in store, so can even out). 

One other thing about Smky Mtn Guns & AMMO -- FFL costs there are $10 Transaction and $10 Background (lower than some places that are $25 to $35).  

Only other nearby place is BASS PRO (All I can say about that is CHECK PRICES - OUTRAGEOUS for most part). I asked a clerk in there one day why their Taurus Millennium G2 was (think it was $50 or $60) more than down the road. His smart reply was why don't you buy it there. I said I did a year ago for $189 and now they are $189 or $199, but my friend here is looking at one. GOOD BYE.   Another example -- I was in there today and saw the Heritage Revolved like mine (same grips, etc) for $179 - I paid $119 and got 30 MIN range time at BUD's a couple years ago. They are $119 at BUD's now.  And have heard of $99 or $109 at places. Floyd's had $109 sale some time ago.