Fugitive in Montgomery County

Not yet. Still looking. Long day today. I just got in and grabbed a much needed and much appreciated shower. After the day I've had I wasn't sure soap was going to work and thought I might have to resort to paint thinner. :) But thankfully the soap worked. I'm hitting the rack and getting ready for an early day tomorrow. 

Spent 5 or 6 nights with almost no sleep because of massive manhunt in my backyard.  Jailbreak in Cheatham Co

and LE observed the girlfriend of one of the escapees carrying food into wooded hills across street from my house, from her house nearby.  All day and night was every agency in TN involved, All night copters with FLIR and

big trucks with bright lights, dogs and everything else. I was glad to see them there.  They later stole a truck from

nearby Highway Department and made it to Mexico's ,if 6 or 7 can hang in area for a week one would be much easier.  

Maybe I won't have to see any more steep hills-n-hollers til deer season! 

I'm thankful for the Lord's grace in this. As far as I know we had no serious injuries out of the scores of people who were there. (Except for me feeling old) :)

• Like 5
3 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I think that he spent a few days with some a$$hole in a house who was helping him out. When he was taken into custody he was well shaved didn't have beard growth like you'd have after 7 days. 

Yep! The absolute depravity of people nowadays never ceases to amaze me. 

Edited by res308
5 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I think that he spent a few days with some a$$hole in a house who was helping him out. When he was taken into custody he was well shaved didn't have beard growth like you'd have after 7 days. 

If he would have shown up at my house I would have been $20,000.00 richer today and he might have been sorry he came to my door. If they do find out who may have helped him I hope they put them in a jail cell next to him.......JMHO

The thought that comes to me is that he may have forced someone else to help him or harmed them and it's not been discovered yet.  And if someone willingly helped him, then I hope they get what they deserve, a long stint in jail.

Edited by Moped

He has been caught now.

I wonder, if a civilian saw him, and he wasn't posing a threat (moving away), would you take that shot? Common sense tell you to take the shot, but there is also that case down in Chattanooga, which is very similar, and the guy got convicted of 2nd degree murder. 

I keep thinking about the ferry boat operator. They had him on the ferry, and knew it was him. They notified the police, but they were a long way away. I'm guessing either the captain didn't have a firearm or had one and was scared to use it. If you were in that position, and decided to act, I think it would be very dangerous to try and hold him until the police arrived. About your only reasonable option would be to put him down, or do what they did and let him go. By letting him off the ferry though, they put a bunch of the public and police officers in danger. Tough decision, with lots of legal consequences. 

13 hours ago, m16ty said:

He has been caught now.

I wonder, if a civilian saw him, and he wasn't posing a threat (moving away), would you take that shot? Common sense tell you to take the shot, but there is also that case down in Chattanooga, which is very similar, and the guy got convicted of 2nd degree murder. 

I keep thinking about the ferry boat operator. They had him on the ferry, and knew it was him. They notified the police, but they were a long way away. I'm guessing either the captain didn't have a firearm or had one and was scared to use it. If you were in that position, and decided to act, I think it would be very dangerous to try and hold him until the police arrived. About your only reasonable option would be to put him down, or do what they did and let him go. By letting him off the ferry though, they put a bunch of the public and police officers in danger. Tough decision, with lots of legal consequences. 

If the ferry operator was armed, he should have tried to hold him there.  But I can't fault him for not engaging him, only he knows his capabilities. As to shooting while he is running away, I think him being a danger to the community at large would give you legal cover.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Omega said:

If the ferry operator was armed, he should have tried to hold him there.  But I can't fault him for not engaging him, only he knows his capabilities. As to shooting while he is running away, I think him being a danger to the community at large would give you legal cover.

Shooting him as he is running away might be looked at in several different ways and you could wind up in trouble. Many times cases like that have gone bad because if he is going away they might look at the fact that the threat to you was over and you didn't need to shoot him in the back. Then they may look at the fact that he had already killed 2 and njured more and is wanted and had 100's of police officers hunting for him to catch him before he killed or hurt someone else and pin a medal on you and give you a big check. It is one of the Damned if you do and Damned if you don't issues..................JMHO

• Like 1
On 10/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, Omega said:

I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to try and hold him, unless you could make 100% sure you could hold him and he could access any weapons. I'm sure there were other people on that ferry that could get hurt if things go bad.  When it's just you and a bad guy, things are different than when there are other people involved.

I know my self defense plans are very different, depending on if I'm alone or I'm with my family.  

On 10/8/2018 at 1:07 PM, bersaguy said:

Shooting him as he is running away might be looked at in several different ways and you could wind up in trouble. Many times cases like that have gone bad because if he is going away they might look at the fact that the threat to you was over and you didn't need to shoot him in the back. Then they may look at the fact that he had already killed 2 and njured more and is wanted and had 100's of police officers hunting for him to catch him before he killed or hurt someone else and pin a medal on you and give you a big check. It is one of the Damned if you do and Damned if you don't issues..................JMHO

Haven't heard of anyone being tried for shooting an armed home invader, murderer and such even when fleeing, at least not in the free states.  The ones that have been arrested, shot at burglary suspects with no threat to them or others, at least no pattern of such. Wasn't a fleeing home invader killed in Memphis recently? 

9 minutes ago, m16ty said:

I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to try and hold him, unless you could make 100% sure you could hold him and he could access any weapons. I'm sure there were other people on that ferry that could get hurt if things go bad.  When it's just you and a bad guy, things are different than when there are other people involved.

I know my self defense plans are very different, depending on if I'm alone or I'm with my family.  

I guess it all depends on what is known before encountering him, and of course backstop and other circumstances would be considered.  I would draw down on a murderer  in a heartbeat, and any offensive move would get him shot.  But if he was only a burglary subject, and no hindsight to guide you, then the factors you list may come into play and the safest course would be to let law enforcement deal with him later.