The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• 2 weeks later...

Man, there are so many different makers of wiskey and bourbon here that makes my taste for Jack Daniel seem unrefined. But I do enjoy the Jack Daniel's honey. Something about that sweet hint of honey and the traditional sour taste of the wiskey seems perfect.

^ Nothing wrong with Jack's Single Barrel. I've got my cabinet staple shopping list for this year:

· Ardbeg 10 year

· Balvenie 14 year

· Bushmills 21 year

· Clynelish 14 year

· Dalmore 12/15 year

· Glenlivet 16 year

· Highland Park 18 year

· Lagavulin 16 year*

· Laphroaig 10 year CS

Edited by Father Goose
  • Like 1

^ Nothing wrong with Jack's Single Barrel. I've got my cabinet staple shopping list for this year:

· Ardbeg 10 year

· Balvenie 14 year

· Bushmills 21 year

· Clynelish 14 year

· Dalmore 12/15 year

· Glenlivet 16 year

· Highland Park 18 year

· Lagavulin 16 year*

· Laphroaig 10 year CS

Not a bad one in the whole bunch! :usa:

I particularly like the somewhat dry (compared to other Islays) finish of the Lagavulin 16yo. Plenty of peat smoke and sea air, but not as oily on the palate as some of the others. Not that I dislike Ardbeg or Laphroaig (quite the contrary), just different tastes for different moods. the Lagavulin is the perfect after-dinner touch when paired with a charcoal-grilled salmon steak.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

Quite! Sadly, I am out of every single one of those at the moment...not good.

I think the Lagavulin is the classiest standard bottle from the Islay region. I like the peaty citrus notes in the Ardbeg and the roasted/smoked cereal notes in the Laphroaig. The Laga tends to blend various things extremely well, but lacks the punch I tend to want in my peat stacks in the winter. But, it will always have an open spot in my cabinet whenever I have the urge to take it home. I'll just have to keep it away from the Ardbeg; that one always wants to fight. 

PS - Yes on grilled salmon pairing!!  :yum:

Edited by Father Goose
  • Like 1

Father Goose,

I hope you've had a chance to try the Laphroaig Triple Wood. It's extremely difficult to get-- I got a bottle of the 2012 release, and there were only 12 crates total allotted to the US market that year. They don't make it every year, because of the required triple maturation. However, I believe they are planning a release for this year.

This is far and away THE most complex expression of Laphroaig I have ever tasted... much less iodine notes, yet the sea salt is still there-- as well as dry citrus notes and a slight nuttiness. Of course, the peat is present, but more subtle. Bottled at cask strength, it take distilled water well when mixed about 4 to 1 (2 oz. whisky, and 1/2oz distilled water)--  this really opens up the whisky's nose in an incredible bouquet. :yum:

I've been rationing and nursing this bottle for 2 years now, and I still have a good bit left-- only treating myself every now and then... it's that good. This ain't your Grandpa's Laphroaig!

You can find out more info here:

http://www.laphroaig.com/triplewood/

I got mine at Stones River Beverages in Murfreesboro-- they have one of the best scotch selections within a 100 mile radius and the owner knows his stuff. In fact, he was only allotted a 1/2 case and it never even hit the shelves-- each bottle was already spoken for before then-- including the one bottle that he held back for me.

LaphroaigT-wood_zpsa2c30170.jpg

I haven't yet! I've had numerous opportunities to grab a bottle, but have picked something else :shake: . It's still on my list and if I can find one, I'll grab it. I may also have the opportunity to grab a bottle of the recent Cardeas (port finish). I tried a little from a friend's stock and it was ridiculous.

I think im gonna try some Glenmorangie 18yr next. Any of you guys ever tried any of the Glenmorangie?

I've had the awesome 10 year (Original), but I hear the 18 year is quite good.

EDIT: Oh, and I've had some of the wine-finished bottlings...not much of a fan of those.

Edited by Father Goose

Same here. I've only had the 10 y.o. expression... wasn't too impressed with it. Not bad, just seemed kind of average for a Speyside malt. Given the choice on conventional Speyside malts, I'd take Aberlour or Dalmore over the Glenmorangie.  But then again, different strokes & all that.

Edited by tartanphantom

While i didnt find any 18yr, i did find this "discovery pack" of the 10yr, it includes 3 50ml bottles of their Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar d'Or offerings. While i was really looking for the 18yr, it works out because I was wanting to try their Nectar anyways. Cheers!

rysu6uma.jpg

egu9y6e9.jpg

Edited by reed1285
Balcones out of Texas is a great single malt whiskey. They won Distiller of the year in 2012 and world single malt gold in 2013. They are a small distillery, and concentrate on small batch. I received my first bottle this week. Let me just say it was amazing. Vanilla front end, not heavy on the spice, but heavy on the smoke. Great single malt. For those of you who know me and have seen my expansive, and expensive :-), scotch collection you know I wouldn't recommend a 'merican single malt lightly.

Had my first bottle of 46 this week. It is one of my new favorites. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was my first bottle as well, I really like it. The Glenmorangie i bought last friday is also great, it was my first bottle of it too. 

• Like 1
[quote name="TGO David" post="1111205" timestamp="1392434843"]I'm just not a Crown fan at all, but Blanton's is very good.[/quote] It's not every night I get into Crown for sure. I've tried all the others they offer though, so thought I'd try this newer offering. A buddy of mine is over that really likes Crown so that's another reason. The Blanton's is a particularly fine offering I must say, and more of my style personally.

[quote name="reed1285" post="1107705" timestamp="1391823253"]While i didnt find any 18yr, i did find this "discovery pack" of the 10yr, it includes 3 50ml bottles of their Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar d'Or offerings. While i was really looking for the 18yr, it works out because I was wanting to try their Nectar anyways. Cheers! rysu6uma.jpgegu9y6e9.jpg[/quote] An old nuclear submariner buddy of mine convinced me that if you open a bottle of scotch you must finish the bottle. Wow, did we have fun that night.

• Like 1