The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Working on my second bottle of this Bernheim small batch for this month,  which means I've already surpassed my yearly intake of whiskey in about 3 weeks. Call me a convert. I may be late to the show but I'll clap plenty loud. Picked up a bottle for the father in law while I was at it last time. Super smooth and at ~$30 I'm a fan for sure.

blogentry-11883-0-68571100-1414503530.jp

It's very nice. I'm not an aficionado by any means. I've tried several different brands over the years and haven't really had a favorite but this one has renewed my interest in whiskey. I enjoy it with cola and neat, which is rare for me. It may not be up to some more discerning individual's refined palates but I think any whiskey lover should try the small batch once.

What stores do you find good in the Nashville area?

Depends on what you're looking for. By far the store I've found with the best selection-to-price ratio would be Red Dawg in Franklin (and also always great barrel picks). I live in Hermitage though so don't make it out there much. Red Spirits in the West Nashville/Bellevue area usually has a great selection and good prices also, but again the opposite side of town as me. In Nashville my go-to spots for selection is Midtown Wine and Spirits on Church, but they're priced a little higher than most. For best price I'd choose Frugal MacDoogal, but their selection is limited. They focus more on moving quantity, so don't always have the most variety of top shelf stuff as some of the others. I usually buy my mixer whiskeys/vodkas here, although they do have a fair amount of top of the line stuff.

Depends on what you're looking for. By far the store I've found with the best selection-to-price ratio would be Red Dawg in Franklin (and also always great barrel picks). I live in Hermitage though so don't make it out there much. Red Spirits in the West Nashville/Bellevue area usually has a great selection and good prices also, but again the opposite side of town as me. In Nashville my go-to spots for selection is Midtown Wine and Spirits on Church, but they're priced a little higher than most. For best price I'd choose Frugal MacDoogal, but their selection is limited. They focus more on moving quantity, so don't always have the most variety of top shelf stuff as some of the others. I usually buy my mixer whiskeys/vodkas here, although they do have a fair amount of top of the line stuff.

Thanks. I've been meaning to stop by Red Dawg. It's not far from me. I like bourbon and don't like many mixed drinks. So I'm looking for variety and value.

I hear they have a great beer selection too.

Thanks for the tips

was told Pappy was released in Middle Tn.   So if you are there start looking.  Hopefully we will have it tomorrow maybe or early next week.  No telling really in the logic of their release date plans.

Sold out of Jeff's Ocean today.   Won't know until next week if we will get more soon.

Sold a bottle of Blanton's today.  The customer was in yesterday and bought a lot of wine and a bottle of Eagle Rare.  I offered him up a bottle of 17 year old Eagle Rare.  He turned it down and said what he really needed was a Blanton's with the letter T as a stopper.   Another employee dug around and said we did not have one with a T.  I did some digging around and found one.  Had a T.   Got ahold of the customer and left a message today that I had his T stopper.   I really feel good after I help someone find what they need.

• Like 2

Bernheim is distilled in Bardstown.  That place makes me shrug when it comes to some odd bourbon.  It is distilled at Evan Williams and they make up a distillery and give it a name.    

Not to say that it is not good stuff,  but just that it is not some small time boutiquey distillery.   It comes from Heaven Hill.  They distill billions of gallons of hootch each year.

Edited by Mike.357

Have not been impressed with benheim. Maybe its because its all wheat. Just seemed a bit astringent. If you want a great wheater, find a bottle of pappy or weller antique.

I've only tried the Benheim once ... but tried 4 different barrels of it at a barrel select station at a whiskey festival. I didn't care for any of the 4. I'm not saying it's terrible, but certainly isn't for me.

Have not been impressed with benheim. Maybe its because its all wheat. Just seemed a bit astringent. If you want a great wheater, find a bottle of pappy or weller antique.

The Larue wheated bourbon is superb,  liberally add ice or water.

Pappy ought to be soon.

And sold the last bottle of Ocean tonight.   Maybe we will get more Tuesday.   A regular customer had some wine and a bottle of Jefferson.  I upsold them on the Ocean.

I look forward to the Van Winkle hub bub that is coming.

Wish we'd see some Weller 12 

• Administrator

I'm searching for some Weller 12 and some Eagle 17 myself.  Can't seem to find any of those locally.

Pappy is over-rated and strictly the domain of hipster douchebags wanting to make a statement about their bank account more-so than about their taste in distilled spirits.  I've had a snort of it before and frankly there are far better bourbons out there for a lot less money, available year-round.

I'm searching for some Weller 12 and some Eagle 17 myself.  Can't seem to find any of those locally.

Pappy is over-rated and strictly the domain of hipster douchebags wanting to make a statement about their bank account more-so than about their taste in distilled spirits.  I've had a snort of it before and frankly there are far better bourbons out there for a lot less money, available year-round.

It's been a while since we have had Weller 12.   I was hopeful some would show up with the Antique stuff but no joy there.  If you wanted to make a drive to Knox I could help with the Eagle 17.  I think we still have some.

Can't disagree with your statement about Pappy.  They created a demand and make good money off of it.  It seems like a status symbol to have a bottle.   

I do like my bottle of pappy 15yr but I probably won't buy another.

Last time I was looking for Weller 12, I found some stores in West Ky had plenty of stock.

I'm gonna swing through a store or two next week and see what they have

The next bottle I buy though is gonna be another Elmer T Lee. That stuff is something to keep on hand! Edited by Lumber_Jack

I'm searching for some Weller 12 and some Eagle 17 myself. Can't seem to find any of those locally.

Pappy is over-rated and strictly the domain of hipster douchebags wanting to make a statement about their bank account more-so than about their taste in distilled spirits. I've had a snort of it before and frankly there are far better bourbons out there for a lot less money, available year-round.

Try cool springs wine and spirts for weller 13. They seem to get it and actually put it on the shelf

And I would welcome you to come over one afternoon for a bourbon tasting !
  • Like 1

AMEN!

About a decade ago, ORVW was readily available and the 10 and 15 yr old was a solid year round choice for folks that prefer wheated bourbon and were okay with paying "a bit more". Its limited supply status and escalated pricing fostered it's "cult" status & thrill of the chase cachet.

I guess the craziest extreme bourbon cult nowadays are the idiots in Manhattan that currently pay $600 a shot for the original A.H. Hirsch pot stilled. Maybe a dozen years ago it was $65 a bottle at Red Dog in Franklin! I've got one bottle left and now I can't bear to open it and drink it! : (

BOURBON CRAZINESS!

Scored a bottle of stag today!

Also picked up a bottle of barterhouse orphan barrel on the recomendation of my local liquor store owner. Just cracked it open and we'll see if it lives up

Let me know what you think of B-house. Have a bottle but haven't opened it yet.

Hersh if you like Jack D and ever make it into Nashville, Frugal has a delicious Jack Daniel's Single Barrell store pick right now. They've got two on the shelf but you'll want the one with barrel # ending in 33.

so I hope im not the only guy around here that likes egg nog this time of year. what whiskey are you guys using? I'm trying to find a good combo. I've drank the Evan Williams pre mixed egg nog and it's not all that bad  :hiding: but I want a more civilized whiskey to mix my own with haha. I know Southern Comfort tends to be a good choice, what else?

Edited by reed1285
I too like egg nog but usually buy the pre-made stuff at the store and don't add anything too it, except maybe a touch of kahlua (or other coffee liqueur).

My recent go-to's have been a certain kind I can only find at Kroger (although not Kroger branded). One is sugar cookie egg-nog and the other is a gingerbread one. Both are delicious. Edited by npgunner
  • Like 1

Honestly, when you add all that sweet to it and long as it's a bourbon you'd drink you're good to go. I probably wouldn't waste the money for something reallly good just for a cup of eggnog.

FWIW last batch I made I used George Dickel.

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 1