The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Blanton's is a standard pour around here. I judge many others by this one. Wish it were a little cheaper ... this stopper collection is getting expensive.

Edit:
And yes, I've noticed it in a lot of TV shows also.

I'd love to get my hands on some of their non-USA productions ... the barrel proof "straight from the barrel" version being one of them ... Edited by npgunner

if you collect Blanton stoppers be aware that the "N" comes in two varieties.  I am amazed at the number of collector customers tell me they have both, But when I question them about it they are clueless that there are two different N stoppers.

if you collect Blanton stoppers be aware that the "N" comes in two varieties. I am amazed at the number of collector customers tell me they have both, But when I question them about it they are clueless that there are two different N stoppers.

I will admit that I was aware that Blanton's had different "N's" ... ... but only because this guy, Mike.357 from TGO gave me a heads up about on the forum when I started my collection. A real class act that guy is!

I was aware that Jefferson's is a non-distiller line, but aren't there many bourbons/whiskies that do this? I've been told that quite a few of the brands source their bourbon (and even more so the rye stuff) from Indiana? It seems like for smaller/newer "brands" it's a way for them to generate an income stream while they distill/age their own recipe.

Mike, maybe you can shed some insight on those thoughts. I don't know ... all of that could be bad info, but it's what I've picked up from bourbon forums and talking to guys at different shops.

... but as far as picking up info from shops and on forums, there are some people here that swear the 1911 is a better platform than the Glock, so clearly you can't trust everything you read on a forum. ;-)

I am in Dallas for a few days, so I tried some Texas bourbon and whiskey.  Herman Marshall seems to be my favorite so far, but have a bottle of Balcones that I haven't tried yet.  Have seen a lot of love for Garrison Bros, but I thought it was good, but not great.

I am going to bring a few bottles of different local bourbons/whiskeys back for my collection.  Any recommendations?

LOL,  thanks for the kind words NP.

There are several bourbons I know of that aren't distilled in KY. Two of them specifically are Chattanooga and Belle Meade.   We get asked for them frequently and those people to a man thought they were from TN.  They are distilled in Lawrenceburg IN.  Not that in itself makes them bad.  Just they are not as the label suggests.  Read the fine print on the backside and they say they are distilled in Lawrenceburg. L'burg is more famous for a dirt racecar track than bourbon.

Chattanooga Whisky is working towards distilling in Hamilton County,  I  am not sure where they are with that,  And certainly they are not bad spirits because they come from north of the Ohio River.   What I do have concern for is the taste of these whiskeys. 

Many distilleries are where they are because of their water source. When Chattanooga and Belle Meade start their thing in their respective locations they will not have the same water source as they have in Lawrenceburg IN. I think it will affect flavor. The Ohio River is not flowing through TN. 

As an aside search out US Army activity in KY during the Civil War.  Basically their battle plan for dealing with rebels was going from distillery to distillery in KY.  They did not care about freeing slaves or stopping an insurrectionist army but rather stealing whisky.  The whisky trail was the same trail the Union army followed.

Be leary of bourbons from Bardstown KY too. Not that they are bad but these boutiquey distilleries are most likely part of the Evan Williams family of bourbons.  They come, they develop a following and then they go.   A lot if it is Evan Williams whiskeys in a different bottle with a different label.  As an example, I used to work for distributor that sold " Old Bardstown"  It was 101 proof bourbon.  Good stuff,  really it was.  We also sold a brand called "Johnny Drum"  101 proof bourbon.  Old Bardstown was the name of a race horse.  Johnny Drum was the name of a drummer in the CSA army. Both of these had a backstories on their name.  Both whiskys came from Bardstown, AKA Heaven Hill, AKA Bardstown KY.  Both whiskeys were exactly the same spirit.  I mean it was the same, just had different labels on the bottle. So beware of labeling.  Good bourbon if you ever see it.  I seriously doubt either are in the market any longer. Not that it matters.

Anyway that is your bourbon history lesson for tonight.

• Like 1

LOL,  thanks for the kind words NP.

There are several bourbons I know of that aren't distilled in KY. Two of them specifically are Chattanooga and Belle Meade.   We get asked for them frequently and those people to a man thought they were from TN.  They are distilled in Lawrenceburg IN.  Not that in itself makes them bad.  Just they are not as the label suggests.  Read the fine print on the backside and they say they are distilled in Lawrenceburg. L'burg is more famous for a dirt racecar track than bourbon.

Chattanooga Whisky is working towards distilling in Hamilton County,  I  am not sure where they are with that,  And certainly they are not bad spirits because they come from north of the Ohio River.   What I do have concern for is the taste of these whiskeys. 

Many distilleries are where they are because of their water source. When Chattanooga and Belle Meade start their thing in their respective locations they will not have the same water source as they have in Lawrenceburg IN. I think it will affect flavor. The Ohio River is not flowing through TN. 

As an aside search out US Army activity in KY during the Civil War.  Basically their battle plan for dealing with rebels was going from distillery to distillery in KY.  They did not care about freeing slaves or stopping an insurrectionist army but rather stealing whisky.  The whisky trail was the same trail the Union army followed.

Be leary of bourbons from Bardstown KY too. Not that they are bad but these boutiquey distilleries are most likely part of the Evan Williams family of bourbons.  They come, they develop a following and then they go.   A lot if it is Evan Williams whiskeys in a different bottle with a different label.  As an example, I used to work for distributor that sold " Old Bardstown"  It was 101 proof bourbon.  Good stuff,  really it was.  We also sold a brand called "Johnny Drum"  101 proof bourbon.  Old Bardstown was the name of a race horse.  Johnny Drum was the name of a drummer in the CSA army. Both of these had a backstories on their name.  Both whiskys came from Bardstown, AKA Heaven Hill, AKA Bardstown KY.  Both whiskeys were exactly the same spirit.  I mean it was the same, just had different labels on the bottle. So beware of labeling.  Good bourbon if you ever see it.  I seriously doubt either are in the market any longer. Not that it matters.

Anyway that is your bourbon history lesson for tonight.

From the Chattanooga Whiskey Facebook page

Want to get a taste of the first batch of whiskey bottled legally in Chattanooga in over 100 years? Join us for our Grand Opening party at the Tennessee Stillhouse next Tuesday, March 24th. Get your tickets here: http://ow.ly/KpltJ

• 2 weeks later...

Whiskey Gods shined their favor on me while at some estate/yard sales out of town today ...
Blanton's Gold
Blanton's Straight from the Barrel
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Angel's Envy Cask Strength
F7884447-7C13-4069-B4D5-DC84417BB960_zps

Edited by npgunner
  • Like 2

awesome NP.  Good for you.

We received some EH Taylor cured oak bourbon yesterday.  Had some dude come in Monday night looking for it.  I told him we had none and maybe Tuesday we would get it.  He asked if we could save him a bottle.  I plainly told him NO.  I did not know how much or if we even would get any.  We got three bottles yesterday. They were all gone by 5 pm.

Dude comes in today and asks if we ever received any.  He was told yes but it was all sold.  He started raising hell saying some guy ( me ) promised I'd save him one.  I clearly told him NO.   What an asshole.  If I told him I'd save him one I'd have saved him one.  I am so glad we had none to sell this guy.  

Dude comes in whenever something special has been released.  Sometimes he scores, sometimes not.  I can about promise he will score no more.  Jerk!

• Like 2

Whiskey Gods shined their favor on me while at some estate/yard sales out of town today ...
Blanton's Gold
Blanton's Straight from the Barrel
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Angel's Envy Cask Strength
F7884447-7C13-4069-B4D5-DC84417BB960_zps

Damn ! one of the best hooch yard sale scores I've seen. Most times I only find the empties ,lol.

Damn ! one of the best hooch yard sale scores I've seen. Most times I only find the empties ,lol.

Thanks I felt incredibly lucky and a little bit guilty ...
I think this was part of a dudes stash and the misses was making him get rid of it ... I overheard them talking about a "meeting" and a "sponsor" to some of the other people at the sale. Unfortunate for him and I'm sad for their problems, but worked out well for me ...

awesome NP. Good for you.

We received some EH Taylor cured oak bourbon yesterday. Had some dude come in Monday night looking for it. I told him we had none and maybe Tuesday we would get it. He asked if we could save him a bottle. I plainly told him NO. I did not know how much or if we even would get any. We got three bottles yesterday. They were all gone by 5 pm.

Dude comes in today and asks if we ever received any. He was told yes but it was all sold. He started raising hell saying some guy ( me ) promised I'd save him one. I clearly told him NO. What an asshole. If I told him I'd save him one I'd have saved him one. I am so glad we had none to sell this guy.

Dude comes in whenever something special has been released. Sometimes he scores, sometimes not. I can about promise he will score no more. Jerk!

Mike.357 you didn't happen to purchase one of those bottles did you? I'm curious how it tastes. Don't imagine I'll be getting a bottle myself. Haven't put in any effort in finding one personally and not super interested in it really. Edited by npgunner

Off Topic here, I know; and I apologize to you all for my comments. But....

After seeing all the interest in good Bourbons and Whiskeys, and the complexities of flavors and blends, and the difficulties of finding said special products; it really is interesting to me. But I just dont' have the palate for them anymore.

I rarely have a drink these days, sometimes a glass of wine when eating out at a special occasion, or the like.

I'm not knocking any of you or your drinking choices. It just seems that the effort put into all this could be better spent on any number of other things, like maybe...oh another gun? lol

Really, it is fun and informative reading this thread. I have sampled some of the easier found brands and guess it's just me. I've had so many meds over the years that I really don't have a taste for drinking like I used to have.

So...I raise my glass of Dr. Pepper this morning in a toast to you all. Good luck in finding the good stuff.

And don't piss off Mike when you visit him...you won't get any of said good stuff. lol

Edited by hipower

Off Topic here, I know; and I apologize to you all for my comments. But....

After seeing all the interest in good Bourbons and Whiskeys, and the complexities of flavors and blends, and the difficulties of finding said special products; it really is interesting to me. But I just dont' have the palate for them anymore.

I rarely have a drink these days, sometimes a glass of wine when eating out at a special occasion, or the like.

I'm not knocking any of you or your drinking choices. It just seems that the effort put into all this could be better spent on any number of other things, like maybe...oh another gun? lol

Really, it is fun and informative reading this thread. I have sampled some of the easier found brands and guess it's just me. I've had so many meds over the years that I really don't have a taste for drinking like I used to have.

So...I raise my glass of Dr. Pepper this morning in a toast to you all. Good luck in finding the good stuff.

And don't piss off Mike when you visit him...you won't get any of said good stuff. lol

Meh, to me it's just a social hobby just like any other. I rarely if ever get drunk, or even too inebriated to operate a motor vehicle legally. I enjoy the spirits for their taste, relaxing affect, and social enjoyment.
  • Like 4

awesome NP. Good for you.

We received some EH Taylor cured oak bourbon yesterday. Had some dude come in Monday night looking for it. I told him we had none and maybe Tuesday we would get it. He asked if we could save him a bottle. I plainly told him NO. I did not know how much or if we even would get any. We got three bottles yesterday. They were all gone by 5 pm.

Dude comes in today and asks if we ever received any. He was told yes but it was all sold. He started raising hell saying some guy ( me ) promised I'd save him one. I clearly told him NO. What an asshole. If I told him I'd save him one I'd have saved him one. I am so glad we had none to sell this guy.

Dude comes in whenever something special has been released. Sometimes he scores, sometimes not. I can about promise he will score no more. Jerk!

Lol!

I loved the tornado release - wondering how this cured oak will be? Dang shame i'm in nashville !