The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I'm not a whiskey guy so my tastes aren't as refined in that area as they are in beer. I'm trying to change that though. I've heard good things about Maker's 46 so it's on my list since I do drink Maker's Mark regularly.Angel's Envy has also been on there since I heard some pretty good things about it. I also just picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel from Midtown. I don't know if it's any different than the regular stuff but the bottle is a little cooler. I know, I know. That doesn't count for anything.

I'm trying to remember the exact difference but I'm pretty sure Single barrel in (this is the obvious part) all from one barrel rather than them mixing several barrels from different areas in the storage barn/building. Then next thing was that the barrels that the Single Barrel is from are all stored up on the top floor of the building where there temperature variance is much greater than the floors closer to the ground. This makes a big difference because as the temp changes, the whiskey is actually absorbed into the wood that the barrel is made of and then when it cools down at night it is released from the wood. Since the barrels are made of Oak and the inside of them charred, the more the whiskey is absorbed and released, the more of that charred Oak flavor the will be in the whiskey. Seems like there were a few othe subtle differences but I can't remember them off the top of my head but I am pretty sure what I wrote above is what the tour guide told us about the Single Barrel line. If you even find yourself near Lynchburg of wanting a day trip destination I would highly suggest the JD Distilley tour.

EDIT; just realized that this post had many many pages so if someone else already covered what I said above..... My bad Edited by Luke E.

I'm trying to remember the exact difference but I'm pretty sure Single barrel in (this is the obvious part) all from one barrel rather than them mixing several barrels from different areas in the storage barn/building. Then next thing was that the barrels that the Single Barrel is from are all stored up on the top floor of the building where there temperature variance is much greater than the floors closer to the ground. This makes a big difference because as the temp changes, the whiskey is actually absorbed into the wood that the barrel is made of and then when it cools down at night it is released from the wood. Since the barrels are made of Oak and the inside of them charred, the more the whiskey is absorbed and released, the more of that charred Oak flavor the will be in the whiskey. Seems like there were a few othe subtle differences but I can't remember them off the top of my head but I am pretty sure what I wrote above is what the tour guide told us about the Single Barrel line. If you even find yourself near Lynchburg of wanting a day trip destination I would highly suggest the JD Distilley tour.

EDIT; just realized that this post had many many pages so if someone else already covered what I said above..... My bad

Yea, and since this post I've discovered that i don't like Tennessee Whiskey. I am definitely a Bourbon man when it comes to whiskey, and an Angel's Envy fan through and through. I also enjoy Four Roses thoroughly. My bottle of Single Barrel hasn't even been opened and will probably stay that way until somebody comes by the house and requests Jack. 

Yea, and since this post I've discovered that i don't like Tennessee Whiskey. I am definitely a Bourbon man when it comes to whiskey, and an Angel's Envy fan through and through. I also enjoy Four Roses thoroughly. My bottle of Single Barrel hasn't even been opened and will probably stay that way until somebody comes by the house and requests Jack. 

Have you tried George Dickel?  That's about the only TN stuff I can handle (yellow label/90 proof).  Other than that I'm a KY bourbon fan pretty much all the way.  Some of the higher end stuff is ok, but I have a hard enough time bringing myself to pay $25 for a bottle of something that will take a couple of years to drink anyways.

Have you tried George Dickel? That's about the only TN stuff I can handle (yellow label/90 proof). Other than that I'm a KY bourbon fan pretty much all the way. Some of the higher end stuff is ok, but I have a hard enough time bringing myself to pay $25 for a bottle of something that will take a couple of years to drink anyways.

I've said it before and will again. The Dickel Barrel Select is a great whiskey. And a value. It should be in your liquor cabinet.
  • Like 1

I noticed another bourbon with a new label hit the shelf with a lack of an age statement. Jim Beam Black Label used to say 8 years old, then they switched to the title Double Aged, now the label says Extra Aged. No telling how old it is.

Distilleries simply can't keep up with the demand.

On a sad note we are completely sold out of Elmer T Lee.

I do have one bottle of Rock Hill I can sell if anyone wants to come in to the store this afternoon or tonight. Ask for me if you don't know me and please be discreet.
I think it is about 60 bucks otd give or take.

How do I go about getting on your "I have it in stock" short list ? Lmao

Have you tried George Dickel?  That's about the only TN stuff I can handle (yellow label/90 proof).  Other than that I'm a KY bourbon fan pretty much all the way.  Some of the higher end stuff is ok, but I have a hard enough time bringing myself to pay $25 for a bottle of something that will take a couple of years to drink anyways.

Haven't tried it. I will give it a shot. Almost none of my "rules" are hard and fast. I don't like lagers either, despite my screen name, but there are a few exceptions.
  • 3 weeks later...

Have a free gift to the first TGO benefactor spirit poster who wishes to claim it and is over 21.

A hand made tequila serving set i received as a gift while in mexico. Comes with two unopened jars of don julio "agave juice. "

Pick up in lebanon

d89b85f1d79b8a22cee0c34ab0a334d6.jpg

aa46e51df6e6702db7097e3a6674b2af.jpg

aac164da0dc5335b3ae9e2eac551105d.jpg

Edited by Hershmeister
  • Like 1

short story some might see humor in

dude comes in tonight carrying a bottle of Blantons, NIB.  He speaks to me and said he had wanted to buy a gift for a friend and knew nothing about liquor.  He had been in earlier in the day and was recommended the Blantons by one of my co-workers.  He was telling me how he heard Blanton's was not very good.  Basically he was telling me he was going to be embarrassed by gifting this bourbon. I was dumbfounded.  We all know Blanton's is top shelf.   I plain told him I did not know what to do, that Blanton's was a awesome bourbon gift.  So we chatter a for a minutes of two, I show him a couple other bottle, but none any more regarded than Blanton's.  I could tell he just did not know what to do or believe.

We walk to the counter and then sheepishly he says he might have texted the wrong name of the bourbon to his buddy.  He then admitted he told his buddy that we sold him Barton's Bourbon. He was holding his phone and reading the text he sent.  LMAO.  At least he owned up to his mistake.  And at least we knew why his buddy was mistakenly bad mouthing Blanton's.

We had a good laugh.

• Like 3
He then admitted he told his buddy that we sold him Barton's Bourbon. .

Barton, Very Old : One of the top choices if you drink a LOT and don't have deep pockets. Ask me how I know. ;)

From Wiki:

"On February 16, 2011, Very Old Barton 100 proof tied with Evan Williams "Black Label" as "Best Buy Whisk(e)y of the Year" in the 17th Annual Whisky Advocate Whisky Awards."

I guess second place went to rubbing alcohol or something.

And yeah, ole Evan was another low down top choice, too!

- OS
  • Like 1

Have a free gift to the first TGO benefactor spirit poster who wishes to claim it and is over 21.

A hand made tequila serving set i received as a gift while in mexico. Comes with two unopened jars of don julio "agave juice. "

Pick up in lebanon

I missed two bottles of Don Julio?   :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

One of my old Army buddies came into town so we decided to go on a couple of the distillery tours and check the stuff out.  Jack Daniels was impressive just from the sheer scale that it was operating from.  But George Dickel was the most impressive.

Dickel uses no computers in their production process at all, it's all done with people monitoring gauges, some kind of mechanical sensors that recorded data on paper spinning in a circle (no clue what it was).  They still carry the charcoal around in burlap sacks by hand, and the only machine they had was a single forklift used to lift the barrels up into storage.

I got a pic of the little box thing with the hydrometer in it that all of the distillery's whiskey flows through, will post it later.  Supposedly wasn't allowed to take pics in there because of flammable vapors but one of the workers said I could.

& Lumber Jack, that Barrel Select is some really good stuff.  

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 2

I miss drinking.

I can't take so much as a shot anymore.  It hurts my stomach so bad it nearly cripples me.  It's only started in the last few years.  Saddest part is the bottles on the shelf over my gun safe.  Johnny Walker Blue label, Gold label & Black label along with an unopened bottle of Glen Levitt.  

Thank God I can still drink beer or I would just walk out in front of oncoming traffic.  

• Like 3

One of my old Army buddies came into town so we decided to go on a couple of the distillery tours and check the stuff out.  Jack Daniels was impressive just from the sheer scale that it was operating from.  But George Dickel was the most impressive.

Dickel uses no computers in their production process at all, it's all done with people monitoring gauges, some kind of mechanical sensors that recorded data on paper spinning in a circle (no clue what it was).  They still carry the charcoal around in burlap sacks by hand, and the only machine they had was a single forklift used to lift the barrels up into storage.

I got a pic of the little box thing with the hydrometer in it that all of the distillery's whiskey flows through, will post it later.  Supposedly wasn't allowed to take pics in there because of flammable vapors but one of the workers said I could.

& Lumber Jack, that Barrel Select is some really good stuff.  

Probably a chart recorder.  Typically used to record temp & humidity.

http://www.dicksondata.com/products/find/chart-recorder

th800-front-758.jpg

Probably a chart recorder.  Typically used to record temp & humidity.

http://www.dicksondata.com/products/find/chart-recorder

That's exactly what they were. <edit> theirs only had one needle on it, but they had multiples of those things running on each tank.

Here's the magic box that all the company's elixir gets pumped through.

20150609_135154.jpg

Edited by Sam1
  • 2 weeks later...