The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I sold my first bottle of Van Winkle tonight.  I have stayed out of it.  

But I have a customer who seeks me out about every week and asks if we have any Elmer.  I always tell him no and we chuckle.  I keep telling the guy to keep on asking as some day it will show up.  He then buys something else.

Tonight he showed up and asked about Elmer.  I told him no but thanks for coming in.  And told him if he wanted I had a bottle of 12 year old Van Winkle for him, if he was interested.  He grabbed his chest and took a step back.  It was sort of funny.  Was happy to sell it to him. 

He also bought a handle of Jack.  Told me he could not wait to take a pic and text his buddies about what he got.    It made tonights shift fun.

• Like 4

I sold my first bottle of Van Winkle tonight. I have stayed out of it.

But I have a customer who seeks me out about every week and asks if we have any Elmer. I always tell him no and we chuckle. I keep telling the guy to keep on asking as some day it will show up. He then buys something else.

Tonight he showed up and asked about Elmer. I told him no but thanks for coming in. And told him if he wanted I had a bottle of 12 year old Van Winkle for him, if he was interested. He grabbed his chest and took a step back. It was sort of funny. Was happy to sell it to him.

He also bought a handle of Jack. Told me he could not wait to take a pic and text his buddies about what he got. It made tonights shift fun.

Just out of curiosity, what's 12 yr go for? Don't make me clutch my pearls, I'm a Yankee and I don't wear any!

Not familiar with Van Winkle.  Did a search and an ad comes up for 23 year old bourbon for a mere $3,000! :stunned:

If it's only gonna go up in value then I'll put it in my retirement plan. :P

But if you have one half as old for only $75 then I would be interested. :up:

Not familiar with Van Winkle.  Did a search and an ad comes up for 23 year old bourbon for a mere $3,000! :stunned:

If it's only gonna go up in value then I'll put it in my retirement plan. :P

But if you have one half as old for only $75 then I would be interested. 

It super limited release, you will have to get to know someone at the liquor store to get one.  Not enough to go around, probably not worth the energy it takes to get one.  

• Like 2

It super limited release, you will have to get to know someone at the liquor store to get one.  Not enough to go around, probably not worth the energy it takes to get one.  

It's totally worth a drive to Knoxville for me. I've been chasing it for the 5+ years we've been together just to say I got him a bottle. I buy him 2-4 bottles every couple of weeks and I've always wanted to surprise him with one. This won't be a surprise but he is shocked that he actually is getting some. That feels good.

• Like 1

It's totally worth a drive to Knoxville for me. I've been chasing it for the 5+ years we've been together just to say I got him a bottle. I buy him 2-4 bottles every couple of weeks and I've always wanted to surprise him with one. This won't be a surprise but he is shocked that he actually is getting some. That feels good.

I'm hunting one for my dad...just like everybody else who knows what Pappy is lol Have a friend who is "trying" to get me one at the store he works at in Nashville but no word yet...

• Like 1

Oh if I had one offered I'd drive too. Actually bought one from mike about 2 years ago now. He's a good man no doubt. Enjoy it! I wish there were enough for everyone to have some.

I'm hunting one for my dad...just like everybody else who knows what Pappy is lol Have a friend who is "trying" to get me one at the store he works at in Nashville but no word yet...

I know that feeling. I try to compensate. Like the other day I bought him a bottle that was around $100. He'd never do that for himself, he feels guilty buying Blantons or Rowans Creek. The nicer it is, the less likely he is to buy it. Which is where I step in. He's the Breadwinner and he deserves the "best". So if this Pappy does the trick, well then at least I did something right!

• Like 3

Question for the hive - what would you suggest for an easy sipping bourbon whiskey for Thanksgiving day that would also be used to make some old fashioned?  Not looking for something rare or complex as it will be lost on myself and my crowd.  So far I have tried woodford, buffalo trace, and bulleit.  Didn't care for the woodford or bulleit.  Buffalo was smooth but somewhat generic tasting.

Question for the hive - what would you suggest for an easy sipping bourbon whiskey for Thanksgiving day that would also be used to make some old fashioned?  Not looking for something rare or complex as it will be lost on myself and my crowd.  So far I have tried woodford, buffalo trace, and bulleit.  Didn't care for the woodford or bulleit.  Buffalo was smooth but somewhat generic tasting.

Blanton or Four Rose

• Like 2

Don't remember seeing Blanton but I heard quite a few suggest Four Roses single barrel or small batch; whatever its called.  Is that the one you are suggesting there?

I often prefer wheated bourbon or ryes for old fashions, favorites ATM are Weller Reserve or Jefferson Rye. I also wouldn't turn one down with Fours roses Small batch, or Blanton's as KahrMan suggests.

Don't remember seeing Blanton but I heard quite a few suggest Four Roses single barrel or small batch; whatever its called.  Is that the one you are suggesting there?

Yes 

single-barrel_blk.jpg

Blanton's is great bourbon for sippin'

B_original.png

Edited by KahrMan

Thanks for the pic - I'll have a second look down the aisles this afternoon for Blanton's.  Know my local one has the 4 roses though.

I actually prefer Bulliet Rye in my old fashions.  But if you don't like that you can try Makers 47 or Russell Reserve 10.  Buy some Dickle Barrel Select, you wont regret it, regardles of how you drink it.  

dickle.png

• Like 1