The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

The booze scalpers are starting to show up on Craigslist. A bottle of PVW 12 at $450, WL Weller 12 at $199, and a bottle of Elmer T Lee for $199. Buy all 3 for the low, low price of $750! It's on Knox list if anybody is interested. Pretty sure I'll never taste any at that price.

I've got 4 bottles of Weller 12...maybe I should think about getting rid of some stuff  :rofl:

Just snagged a bottle of Weller 107 for $30. I hope I like it.

My 3 fav's have been Pappy 20 and Elijah Craig and Blantons. Oh course knob, makers, Jack, turkey are all good.

I had Larceny recently and thought it was bland. I guess my pallat just prefers flavor powerhouses.

There are still plenty more I'd like to try and get my hands on!

My biggest complaint as far as rum goes is what used to come from Venezuela.  The Pampero line of rum.  Since their political problems there is exactly none coming out of there.  It pisses me off as a rum fan.  They (IMHO) had the best rum in the market. Now there is none.

You mean this?

pampero-aniversario-reserva-exclusiva-an

I don't drink whiskey often but I enjoy a glass now and again.  Felt like some bourbon tonight and the cupboards were empty. My birthday is next week so the wife told me to go get a bottle of something.  Came home with Jim Beam Devil's Cut, not bad attall. 

You mean this?

Yes. that exactly.    For me it was always a coin toss between Pampero or Appleton 12.  Ideally I kept a bottle of each in the bar.  When they got low I'd replace them, easy peasy.  Not so much anymore.  The 12 year Appleton is around all the time for the most part.  The one in the leather bag has become a holy grail every bit as much as Appleton 21.

^^^ I looked for that today but couldn't find any.

Just snagged a bottle of Weller 107 for $30. I hope I like it.

keep looking,  I don't think it is that hard to find.    $29.99

The Weller is priced a hair lower than we are.  IIRC we were 32 on it.   NIce find anyway.  That stuff is becoming harder to get.

And I don't know how true this is but I have heard rumblings about Buffalo Trace being allocated in the future.  I dunno..... Sounds like the demand is more than they expected to need if this plays out.  Bourbon demand has come on strong very quickly for a industry that needs 8 years or more to project with their products.  

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

Yep keep your eyes open, when Weller 12 hits the shelves it is usually gone inside a week or less so if it's there when you are you best grab one so long as the price is right. I picked up a case a few months back and it only took me a few hours to pass off all the extra bottles but one which I passed to a member in need here. It's not amazing overall, but at the $30 price mark there is little comparable.

Yes. that exactly.    For me it was always a coin toss between Pampero or Appleton 12.  Ideally I kept a bottle of each in the bar.  When they got low I'd replace them, easy peasy.  Not so much anymore.  The 12 year Appleton is around all the time for the most part.  The one in the leather bag has become a holy grail every bit as much as Appleton 21.

Well I'm glad you mentioned it.  :up:  I've never heard of it before so I bought a bottle.  I think that's the best rum I've had! :yum:  But if supplies are drying up, then I'll have to use self control and ration it.... or search for more and stock up.

Just opened the first bottle of Eagle Rare that was recommended to me recently. I like it much better than the Four Roses Small Batch and Corner Creek that were also recommended to me. But I'll see how I like the other two over time. I've learned that I sometimes grow to like some things more after I've had it a few more times. However, the Eagle Rare is really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. that exactly. For me it was always a coin toss between Pampero or Appleton 12. Ideally I kept a bottle of each in the bar. When they got low I'd replace them, easy peasy. Not so much anymore. The 12 year Appleton is around all the time for the most part. The one in the leather bag has become a holy grail every bit as much as Appleton 21.

Mike, have you had any of the Prichards Private Reserve Rum? I like Appleton 12 too, and have a bottle in my cabinet, but it doesn't compare to the Prichards Private Reserve...of course the Prichards is much more expensive.

Just opened the first bottle of Eagle Rare that was recommended to me recently. I like it much better than the Four Roses Small Batch and Corner Creek that were also recommended to me. But I'll see how I like the other two over time. I've learned that I sometimes grow to like some things more after I've had it a few more times. However, the Eagle Rare is really good.

you know I never really was a fan of the Eagle Rare, but I'm sure its about personal likes and dislikes.  I like 4 roses single barrel, and think Corner Creek is exceptional especially considering the price.

• Like 1

Mike, have you had any of the Prichards Private Reserve Rum? I like Appleton 12 too, and have a bottle in my cabinet, but it doesn't compare to the Prichards Private Reserve...of course the Prichards is much more expensive.

I am not a huge fan of Prichard's.  I find it very much like Jamaican rum but it had a harshness going down.  It is good but I prefer the Appleton.

Edited by Mike.357

I'll trust you fine folks will give me plenty of recommendations for my next trip to the store in a few days.

I'm a scotch man myself....

Highland Park is very nice, Balvenie double-wood is devine! Glenmorangie and Aberlour are also nice. Stay away from Laphroig and Macallan...There's a few others but I don't splurge on single-malts the way I used to.

Good old reliable Glen Livet is still hard to beat, 12 or 18 year (21's not worth the $$$). But when it starts getting up to $5 or more per glass... I'd just as soon buy a good 6-pack of beer!

- K

• Like 1