The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Ok! So this weeks gouger special is one bottle of PVW- 20 year for the low,low price of $1150.00. It does come with the velvet bag and is unopened. It's on Tricity Craigslist if you are so inclined. I wonder if they have any 22lr to sell? Mike, what is retail on that stuff?
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Yessir! Cool Springs is my go to liquor store.

Are we talking about the Cool Springs liquor store next to Academy Sports? If so that's where I got my last bottle of Elmer T. I think they felt sorry for me cause I was in there asking for the 3rd time that week ;)

Yep that's the one.   I also frequent Red Dog over off of Hwy 96.  :)

Walked in with a bottle of Jefferson Ocean earlier this evening. Twas a very good bottle unless you just don't like it.And if you just don't like it..its just too damn bad. I had several samples and It was really good...and stuff. Edited by jimmydeuce
  • Like 1

Ok! So this weeks gouger special is one bottle of PVW- 20 year for the low,low price of $1150.00. It does come with the velvet bag and is unopened. It's on Tricity Craigslist if you are so inclined. I wonder if they have any 22lr to sell? Mike, what is retail on that stuff?

$280, 325 maybe, or there abouts.    I have seen a few but have not sold one. IIRC we have two in the building, and no I can't sell it,  LOL

I am really guessing on the price.  We had a friend of the boss who had a twenty year old and wanted to trade up for a 23.  Of course we did it. I don't know where he got the 20 year old at.  But the 23 was over 400 beans.

The 20 year old my be 285.00 or so????  I think the guy had to pay about $150 to trade up.

Anyone buying this whisky from CL is an absolute idiot with more money than sense.  If I did it, and I easily could I'd be fired in a heartbeat.  Anyone gouging on it is unethical.  Especially stores like some who triple or quadruple their markup.  That is not how to run a business.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

we got a case (four bottles) of Woodford white corn bourbon in the other day. ( I might have the name wrong but it is made with white corn)  

It looks interesting, I like the color a lot.  I would venture a guess that it is fairly sweet as far as bourbon goes. Comes in a more normal shaped bottle than regular Woodford.  IIRC it is slightly less than $100.

If anyone is interested I can sell this one.   I am off until Monday afternoon so if you want it jump on it.  Send me a PM, if it is there on Monday when I go in I will set it back for you, either way I will message you back.     I am about 90% sure there will still be one on Monday.  There were three today.  I can't figure what angle some of the trophy buyers are looking for.  Why would you walk passed this bottle on the shelf if the price point was where you are at?   We still have some Weller Reserve left, people turn their nose up at it.  

Idiots!

Went to a raffle today at of the stores I frequent and scored a bottle of Battlefield Bourbon. Bottle 410 of 1863. Will not be opening it right away since I still have a bottle of Four Rises Small batch, Jefferson's Very Small Batch and Yamazaki 12 year to finish off.

you know I never really was a fan of the Eagle Rare, but I'm sure its about personal likes and dislikes. I like 4 roses single barrel, and think Corner Creek is exceptional especially considering the price.

I'm still loving the Eagle Rare, but I am also really liking the Corner Creek now that I've had it a few more times. The Four Roses Small Batch...not so much. As you said, it's all about different likes and dislikes. I'm beginning to think the only thing great about Four Roses Small Batch is the incessant marketing of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we got a case (four bottles) of Woodford white corn bourbon in the other day. ( I might have the name wrong but it is made with white corn)  

It looks interesting, I like the color a lot.  I would venture a guess that it is fairly sweet as far as bourbon goes. Comes in a more normal shaped bottle than regular Woodford.  IIRC it is slightly less than $100.

If anyone is interested I can sell this one.   I am off until Monday afternoon so if you want it jump on it.  Send me a PM, if it is there on Monday when I go in I will set it back for you, either way I will message you back.     I am about 90% sure there will still be one on Monday.  There were three today.  I can't figure what angle some of the trophy buyers are looking for.  Why would you walk passed this bottle on the shelf if the price point was where you are at?   We still have some Weller Reserve left, people turn their nose up at it.  

Idiots!

Do you have any of that left?

Went to a raffle today at of the stores I frequent and scored a bottle of Battlefield Bourbon. Bottle 410 of 1863. Will not be opening it right away since I still have a bottle of Four Rises Small batch, Jefferson's Very Small Batch and Yamazaki 12 year to finish off.

I got a bottle of Battlefield in October and I opened it up a couple of days after getting it. It actually opened up some after cracking the top.

I got a bottle of Battlefield in October and I opened it up a couple of days after getting it. It actually opened up some after cracking the top.

That happened with the Yamizaki but it took about a month.  Still don't really care for it that much though.  I think the Hibiki is much better.

Trying to resist the urge to open up the Battlefield. Need to finish off at least a bottle or two of the others first. 

• Like 1

That happened with the Yamizaki but it took about a month.  Still don't really care for it that much though.  I think the Hibiki is much better.

Trying to resist the urge to open up the Battlefield. Need to finish off at least a bottle or two of the others first. 

That Yamizaki is some crazy stuff to me...really really smokey which I was not expecting. Very unique I guess is how I should describe it.

Some Monkey got pure spoiled today. However, I did also get some wine for myself but I feel like this was a pretty good haul. He told me he needs an all new gun safe just for the bourbon. Here I thought we could have a bar and share it. Someone clearly likes to squirrel away brass but now also bourbon. LOL 

[URL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/predsgirl33/media/IMG_2849_zpsvxyux6dz.jpg.html]IMG_2849_zpsvxyux6dz.jpg[/URL]

I originally just stopped in for the Woodford White Corn, but then recommendations were made, a sweet eldery woman handed me the Whistlepig and told me it was great for sipping. How do I say no to that? Monkey's already cracked it to try it. 

[URL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/predsgirl33/media/IMG_2850_zpsq7asr0r3.jpg.html]IMG_2850_zpsq7asr0r3.jpg[/URL]

The Ocean has been a huge hit in this house. He loves it so I always restock it whenever possible because I don't want him to run out.  Basil's is one that he's always enjoyed and then the other 2, well they speak for themselves. I am probably going to even get in on the Handy once I figure out a good cocktail to make. I am not even strong enough to attempt it on the rocks!

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 2

That Yamizaki is some crazy stuff to me...really really smokey which I was not expecting. Very unique I guess is how I should describe it.

The Jap whisky is scotch.  If you don't like scotch then avoid it.  It can't be called scotch because it isn't from Scotland.   Just so everyone knows.  I find it kind of deceptive.  People buy it because they think it is more Kentucky/Tennesee like in taste.