The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• Administrator

Oh no, Do you not have any of the 10? If you have 12 set me back a bottle and I will take 3 of the 10. I'll fill the rest of the cart up once we get there. Business as usual. Although this time I will have help loading it which is either going to be good or bad. LOL

Holy crap... I thought *I* purchased good whiskey in surprising volumes.  :eek:

• Like 1

Holy crap... I thought *I* purchased good whiskey in surprising volumes. :eek:

You haven't ever met my Monkey. Don't get me wrong, he's gotten a lot recently but again, squirrel hoarder. I just want that much Whistlepig because he really liked it. The prices at Buds compared to here will shock you. So I drive to Knoxville, say hi to Mike and spend my money there.
  • Like 1

I'm going to have to stop in there next time I'm in Knoxville. Sounds like a well stocked place and doing business with others from TGO is just good sense. I'lll make a point of asking for you Mike and introduce myself.

Here's another one that was a late gift this year.

DSC_0182_1.JPG

I've had one other Orphan Barrel Whiskey called Barterhouse that was quite good. It had lots of oak with quite a bit of bite. I'm waiting to try this one because I have 4 bottles going now and it gets out of hand quick.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I'm going to have to stop in there next time I'm in Knoxville. Sounds like a well stocked place and doing business with others from TGO is just good sense. I'lll make a point of asking for you Mike and introduce myself.

It's well worth the trip. It's a very well stocked store but the prices are the best part. In town in Cookeville my old favorite store has Jefferson Ocean at $99 and change. I picked it up at Bob's for $77'ish. So when I buy 3 bottles in already in the clear. But it's still an hour or so drive for me, but I'd rather support a TGO'er than a local someone I don't know. :)
  • Like 1

It's well worth the trip. It's a very well stocked store but the prices are the best part. In town in Cookeville my old favorite store has Jefferson Ocean at $99 and change. I picked it up at Bob's for $77'ish. So when I buy 3 bottles in already in the clear. But it's still an hour or so drive for me, but I'd rather support a TGO'er than a local someone I don't know. :)

I'll admit I haven't tried Ocean but it's heritage sounds fishy at best -

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/76326340716/jefferson-is-fishy-in-and-out-of-the-ocean

• Like 1

I'll admit I haven't tried Ocean but it's heritage sounds fishy at best -

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/76326340716/jefferson-is-fishy-in-and-out-of-the-ocean

Interesting read. Here's the bottom line for me, if he likes it, I buy it. Guns, bourbon, food. It doesn't matter. He's the bread winner and he works that tail off. So by God, $80 a bottle? So be it! Fishy and all! :)
  • Like 1

Went in my favorite store tonight and happened upon this bottle. Nice random find since I haven't come across it on their shelves this year. This was the only bottle they had out.

608B358D-CEC0-47A4-B31E-5C85AF8A23E1_zps

I can usually find the Weller 107 more often than the Weller Special Reserve 90 which I really enjoy.

You'll like the 107.  Very spicy/cinnamony.  

If anyone in the Memphis area is trying to track down Weller Antique 107 let me know, I've know of a place that has like 10 bottles for $26.99

Edited by Slappy

Me and hard liquor had to part ways a while back.  My stomach just won't take it.  Ulcer I believe.  

SO, off in new directions.  AND I FOUND ONE TONIGHT!  

This is not for everyone but I LIKE it.  It's a Mead with added Hopps.   The honey really comes through on this one but not a nasty over sweetened Boones Farm mind you.  $30 a bottle.  It comes in a ceramic bottle which is probably a significant portion of the price.  It goes well with red meat and potatoes.  

vikingersnesmjodhvid70cl.jpg

• Like 1

Just cracked open a bottle of Belle Meade bourbon. Very nice stuff. I'd say on par w/ Makers Mark... maybe a little better.

It's not quite Angel's Envy, but it's durn good. I think I'll have another.

Is it really bourbon if it's distilled in TN? Something I've wondered about.

Good point. The label says its a sour mash whiskey bourbon.

If that's how they want to self identify... who am I to argue?

Whatever you call it, it's tasty.

Why yes, now that you mention it, I will have another.

• Like 2

Is it really bourbon if it's distilled in TN? Something I've wondered about.

Yes. Borboun must be made inside the United states, used a mash of at least 51% corn, aged in new oak barrels, distilled at no higher than 160 proof, barreled at no higher than 125 proof, and bottled at 80 proof or higher. 95% of borboun is made in Kentucky. Technically Jack Daniels qualifies as a borboun, but advertises as Tennessee whiskey because it is filtered through 10-22 feet of sugar maple charcoal. This is known as the Lincoln County process and is what creates Tennessee Whiskey

Sent from behind the anvil Edited by Spots
  • Like 4

Well Happy New Years, Ladies and Gentleman!

Today we spent the day going to pick up Daisy and if I am heading towards 352 I might as well go past a bit and head to Bob's to visit my favorite store ever. So exit 380 it was! Hello Bob's! Let's load up that cute little square cart you have!

[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/predsgirl33/media/207_zpscz7xvxpt.jpg.html]207_zpscz7xvxpt.jpg[/URL]

I think it was loaded pretty well, got some restocks on the Woodford White Corn, bumped Monkey up from the 10yr to the 12yr Whistlepig, found some weird bottle of something called Weller 12 year?!?!?! I dunno, some crazy clerk recommended it. Widow Jane was a new one that we thought we'd try. I also grabbed the Italian Vodka for myself and some organic limes across the street at TJ's. Cape Cod here I come!

In all seriousness, Monkey and I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Edit: For all the Squires, that is an Original White Rabbit Saloon from the Jack Daniels Distillery down in Lynchburg. Monkey's dad picked it up while they were doing a renovation there. Little fun fact.

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 2

Bought a bottle of Kopper Kettle Virginia Whiskey :up:

20160101_130016.jpg

From the website:

Belmont Farms is proud to introduce Virginia's first original recipe which is registered and trademarked "Virginia Whiskey."  Our special recipe is a triple grain whiskey, double wood, and twice distilled.  The Virginia Whiskey is first produced with grain grown on our farm (the only distillery in the U.S. that grows its own grain).  It is a secret formula of corn, wheat, and barley and is mashed and fermented in our all copper fermentation tanks.  Then, at just the right time, it is double distilled in our unique pot still using early American traditional methodology. Our Virginia Whiskey never sees any modern methods, i.e. column still.  Only a pot still can preserve the taste and aroma required for this unique product.  Our whiskey is then charcoal filtered and presoaked with oak and apple wood chips before it is aged in barrels for four years.  Before bottling, the barrels are hand selected in three barrel batches to preserve its uniqueness.
  • Like 1