The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof has been getting some excellent reviews. LiqourHound on YouTube, (this guy is a master and his library is second to none) put it in his 2 American Whiskey/Bourbons for 2015. He did a seperate review comparing some of the features of this bottle to GTStagg and others. So that sold me. Can't wait to try it. Would love to hear from others if they have tried it as well.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof has been getting some excellent reviews. LiqourHound on YouTube, (this guy is a master and his library is second to none) put it in his 2 American Whiskey/Bourbons for 2015. He did a seperate review comparing some of the features of this bottle to GTStagg and others. So that sold me. Can't wait to try it. Would love to hear from others if they have tried it as well.

I got a bottle when they first came out. 129ish proof I believe, though I saw a few others around town (Nashville) at different proofs. Got home that night. Opened it up; gave it a sip; and almost poured it down the drain. This stuff is HOT. I had a cold though so decided to revisit later. About a week passed and again the same thing. Lots of burn throughout with little flavor. My nose was back to normal so I got my Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at 139.8 proof out of the closet and tried it. Definitely some burn (though subjectively not as much burn as the lower proof JD) but lots of flavor also. I was really disappointed in the JD at first. Finally tried it again about a month later and finally am getting some good flavor a out of it and the alcohol isn't as in your face. Overall it's turned out to be pretty good, but I had to stick with it awhile to get the bottle to open up to where it is finally enjoyable.
I just woke up. Don't judge me. I had a text from a friend regarding VanWinkle Spirits. It was a picture of the 12 yr and the 10 yr and it said "Are either of these the one you got?"

The 12 yr was $699.99 and the 10 was $499.99!!!! I was shocked and stunned. I've heard of gouging 2nd hand but the retailers doing it, to that extreme? Made me angry. I replied back with what I had and how much I paid, told her to get the hell out of there and not give them a dime!!
  • Like 1

I found some Elmer T. Lee yesterday that I knowingly overpaid for. I live too far away for the Mike hookup unfortunately!

Just my thought on this. When I go to Buds, I spend a lot. But it's "stocking up". I usually buy 6 bottles, sometimes more at a time. In 3 visits, I did spend a good chunk of money, but what I spent on booze, is so little to what I would pay here for regular stuff that it makes up for it.
I realize buying $500 or more at a time isn't for everyone. God knows while Monkey appreciates it, it still makes his stomach roll. But that's because he wouldn't ever by that for himself. So in my eyes, it's my job. And if I can save money while buying him awesome bourbons, then I'll do it!

P.S. For Mike: Widow Jane, she wasn't a huge hit last night. He said it tasted flat with not a enough flavor. I'm sure he'll finish it, but he won't buy it again. Which is sad because the smell was delicious but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

That's about $15 high. Not unreasonable. I felt it was a true value buy at $35 before it became scarce.

That makes me feel better!  :-)  I've never seen it on the shelf before so i figured i should snag it to add to the library.

Now I'm on the lookout for Weller 12 and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 

Edited by Slappy

I would happily pay $50 for Elmer and not feel ripped off. Unfortunately my shelves that hold my whiskey have started to bow from the weight of it all so I'm on a buying pause for now ... [emoji15][emoji15][emoji53][emoji53]

Amateur

[emoji3] Edited by KahrMan

Just my thought on this. When I go to Buds, I spend a lot. But it's "stocking up". I usually buy 6 bottles, sometimes more at a time. In 3 visits, I did spend a good chunk of money, but what I spent on booze, is so little to what I would pay here for regular stuff that it makes up for it.
I realize buying $500 or more at a time isn't for everyone. God knows while Monkey appreciates it, it still makes his stomach roll. But that's because he wouldn't ever by that for himself. So in my eyes, it's my job. And if I can save money while buying him awesome bourbons, then I'll do it!

P.S. For Mike: Widow Jane, she wasn't a huge hit last night. He said it tasted flat with not a enough flavor. I'm sure he'll finish it, but he won't buy it again. Which is sad because the smell was delicious but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

thanks for the feedback on the Widow Jane.  I'll make it up to you down the road. 

Did Monkey try the Weller 12 yet?  It might cheer him up some.

That makes me feel better!  :-)  I've never seen it on the shelf before so i figured i should snag it to add to the library.

Now I'm on the lookout for Weller 12 and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 

they worked you on the Elmer. It is about 32 bucks on the shelf at fair markup.  But it is worth what you are willing to pay.  Dole it out accordingly.  

Your post makes me hopeful we might see some soon.

thanks for the feedback on the Widow Jane. I'll make it up to you down the road.
Did Monkey try the Weller 12 yet? It might cheer him up some.

Just seeing your smiling face is enough. ;-) lol

No, he's sitting on that along with his VanWinkle 12. He's such a weirdo!! I tried to get him to last night and he refused. He also picked up the last of his Ezra and put it back. Didn't want to finish it. LOL it's like watching a 5 year old playing with toys and he can't decide which one because he doesn't want to break them. Next trip I am coming alone and I'll stock up on his faves!

they worked you on the Elmer. It is about 32 bucks on the shelf at fair markup. But it is worth what you are willing to pay. Dole it out accordingly.
Your post makes me hopeful we might see some soon.

They also had another shipment of Stagg Jr. right next to it. I already have. Bottle and a half of it so I didn't buy more.

Question, and I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this 45+ page thread...does Weller 12 release in regular intervals? If so, when do I need to ramp up my search? Thanks.