The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

How do? Proof? Flavor?

It is 90 proof.  The flavor is hard to describe.  

There are a couple of places around Nashville that serve it, included the BBQ joint by the same name.  The ribs are much better than the bourbon.  

Edited by quietguy
  • Like 1

It is 90 proof. The flavor is hard to describe.

There are a couple of places around Nashville that serve it, included the BBQ joint by the same name. The ribs are much better than the bourbon.

90 isn't to bad. His VanWinkle 10 was 107 I think? Knob Creek single barrel is 120+ and he likes those. He is picky but then he'll surprise me and like one I took a risk on. I even got him cigars today. Sadly they didn't have his favorite. I gotta get the guy to order them.

Now if you could find their apple Korn (I know it ain't spelled right) you'd be accomplishing something.

Apflekorn is still available.  It is now called just Berentzen.  Same product.  We almost always have it on the shelf.

The Jim Beam Signature bourbon is real good stuff, sadly it is overlooked by most people because of the Beam name.  If they would have made up some other name for it I guess it would sell a lot better.  Same for the Ezra Brooks 12 year old.

And I'd like to know what is going on at Buffalo Trace. They still pump out plenty of that stuff but the Weller is virtually non-existant now, can't even get Benchmark anymore.

Edited by Mike.357

Apflekorn is still available.  It is now called just Berentzen.  Same product.  We almost always have it on the shelf.

Thanks Mike. I'll remember that. Oh came by the other day and picked up a bottle of regal apple. Dropped your name and the lady did not seem to be impressed. Lol.
  • Administrator

The Jim Beam Signature bourbon is real good stuff, sadly it is overlooked by most people because of the Beam name.  If they would have made up some other name for it I guess it would sell a lot better.  Same for the Ezra Brooks 12 year old.

Got to be honest:  That is exactly why I have never picked any up.  For the price, this stuff tastes better than most anything Jack Daniel cranks out at twice to three-times the price.

• Like 2

Got to be honest:  That is exactly why I have never picked any up.  For the price, this stuff tastes better than most anything Jack Daniel cranks out at twice to three-times the price.

I got a bottle of the Jim Beam Single Barrel for Christmas.  Just finished it up recently.  I surprised me how unlike Jim Beam it was.  Have you had the Single Barrel, if so, how does it compare to the Quarter Cask?  

I hit the Elijah Craig jackpot this past Friday.  Found a bottle of ECBP and a Bottle of EC18.  I feel bad about paying as much as I did for the 18 year...especially knowing that in 2012 it was a $50 bottle of bourbon, but times have changed I guess.  

Still hunting for Weller 12 year. A shop in town got 2 cases in recently but I wasn't able to make it out there, and according to a buddy of mine who was able to snag a bottle, they weren't very forthright about having it in stock.  

Finally picked up some Jim Beam Black at the recommendation of Mike 357 and enjoyed it. Definitely a bargain!

Also picked up some of this and am enjoying it tonight...

12651370_10153836978570275_5376178921161

12654493_10153836978600275_5447722718639

The quarter cask was good; the Beam Signature 12 yr was very good in my opinion.

Someone else mentioned the Ezra B 12 yr as well. I tried it at a buddies house the other day. Good spice without too much punch. I've definitely avoided it because of the cheesy looking bottling, but might pick some up when I start buying again ... apparently I have "too much" bourbon according to the wife. Is that even a thing?

The quarter cask was good; the Beam Signature 12 yr was very good in my opinion.

Someone else mentioned the Ezra B 12 yr as well. I tried it at a buddies house the other day. Good spice without too much punch. I've definitely avoided it because of the cheesy looking bottling, but might pick some up when I start buying again ... apparently I have "too much" bourbon according to the wife. Is that even a thing?

I know a cure for that...

Finally picked up some Jim Beam Black at the recommendation of Mike 357 and enjoyed it.  Definitely a bargain!

Also picked up some of this and am enjoying it tonight...

12651370_10153836978570275_5376178921161

12654493_10153836978600275_5447722718639

I saw this and a red wheat version at my local shop.  It was a bit pricey but looked intriguing.

I guess I need to try it.  Has anyone tried the red label red wheat version?

Couple of my grail bottles. Still looking for Weller 12!!

5A3CA006-8E20-4908-8B82-1E1A68AA2DE3_zps

Your tastes looked be similar to mine.  Try Lock, Stock and Barrel 13.  

I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Private Selection a couple of weeks ago that is really good as well.  

It will sure be nice when this bourbon boom is over. When did it start, like 2012? Any end in sight? In 2012 that EC18 was $35-50...now with the rerelease, MSRP is $120.

Might have been a little earlier than that but you're pretty close. I'm not sure why but somewhere around 2010-2011 it seems like bourbon got REALLY popular and I don't see it stopping any time soon...more distillery's are popping up every day with the "latest and greatest" thing. I'm good with people chasing Pappy Van Winkle all day and letting the other prices drop some though. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all  :pleased: but at the same time, bottles of Pappy Van Winkle are probably one of the reason the prices are going up so much. Can't tell you how many times I've heard somebody compare a bottle of this or that to Pappy 10 or 15 year...and if that gets said enough about Bourbon "X" then the prices start to creep up because everybody wants it. Weller is a prime example...prices didn't necessarily sky rocket but its really hard to get now because it got compared to Pappy so many times and now everybody wants it.

I have always loved bourbons but never tried to maintain a "library" until recently. I remember being in college before the bourbon boom and seeing Pappy on the shelf. I distinctly remember seeing it, wondering if it was good and then thinking to myself what a dumb name who would buy that? Haha.

I've had Pappy 20 and I can see why all the hype. Is it worth aftermarket prices? No, not to me. Is it the best bourbon to hit my lips? Absolutely! Not to say there aren't other excellent bourbons out there, but if there is a bourbon I like more than the sample of Pappy I had, I haven't been able to find it.

My dad was able to snag a bottle of the Van Winkle 12 year this past fall at a reasonable price. We are waiting till the birth of my son in April to crack that guy open. :-)
  • Like 1