The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I can't really recommend a specific rum, but be sure to check prices here before you go. Sometimes it cheaper to just buy it here with the aggravation of going thru customs.

We went to Jamaica (Negril) for our honeymoon. Beautiful place and we had a great time. Be prepared to haggle over everything, I found Jamaicans to be the most politely pushy folks I've ever met. Also be prepared to tip everyone. I was out of $1's before I got out of the airport. It got expensive fast.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, peejman said:

I can't really recommend a specific rum, but be sure to check prices here before you go. Sometimes it cheaper to just buy it here with the aggravation of going thru customs.

We went to Jamaica (Negril) for our honeymoon. Beautiful place and we had a great time. Be prepared to haggle over everything, I found Jamaicans to be the most politely pushy folks I've ever met. Also be prepared to tip everyone. I was out of $1's before I got out of the airport. It got expensive fast.  

Yeah I probably won't buy anything that could easily be found here. Just an oddball if there is such a thing. We've been before but I never really shopped for booze. We'll be on a cruise so only on land for the day. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ldugsjr1986 said:

d157fb2330ca1bc1be9c86ae0812eaf4.jpg

I acquired this gem today.

My favorite bourbon ... Blanton's

The year I was born ... 1986

Not my exact birthday, but still Blanton's bottled in 1986. emoji1360.png

Now I gotta decide what's an occasion worthy to open.

Nice.  Blanton's is one my favorites also.

I am pretty sure our Elmer is gone.  One bottle left in a hidey whole, I won't sell that one.

There is fixing to be a glut of Blanton's.  We bought a barrel of it.  I assume other stores did as well.  I have not taken the time to figure out how many bottles that is but it surely is a shiznit ton more than what has been around lately.

I did sell a $1K bottle of Scotch yesterday, dude was totally buying it for his trophy shelf.  I gave him a real strong discount to help him out.  Boss was happy. It was the highest dollar one bottle sale I have ever made.  Yay me!

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ldugsjr1986 said:

I acquired this gem today.

My favorite bourbon ... Blanton's

The year I was born ... 1986

Not my exact birthday, but still Blanton's bottled in 1986. emoji1360.png

Now I gotta decide what's an occasion worthy to open.

You can celebrate the feat of acquiring a 1986 Blanton.

- OS

• Like 5
I am pretty sure our Elmer is gone.  One bottle left in a hidey whole, I won't sell that one.

There is fixing to be a glut of Blanton's.  We bought a barrel of it.  I assume other stores did as well.  I have not taken the time to figure out how many bottles that is but it surely is a shiznit ton more than what has been around lately.

I did sell a $1K bottle of Scotch yesterday, dude was totally buying it for his trophy shelf.  I gave him a real strong discount to help him out.  Boss was happy. It was the highest dollar one bottle sale I have ever made.  Yay me!

A year or so back I got to go with my local store to BT and help pick a barrel of Blanton for the store. It was a great experience with the behind the scenes tour and tasting it at barrel proof in warehouse H. All around a great experience!

Keep posting the Elmer when available. Hopefully I can coordinate a Knox trip with availability.

Also I'll grab one of those Blanton's. When do you think they'll be in?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone has not mention Knob Creek....I have found a liking for it.   Being a person who used to only drink Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniels black label before that.  I stopped drinking about 10 years ago.  Beer and wine would  cause pain in the lower right back.  Doctors could not figure it out.   Last year one of the Doctors I was seeing suggested alcohol to make the pain killers I was on be more effective.  So I deiced to try whisky,  which for some reason does not cause any pain.  I still keep it to a shot or two every now and then.   I fell in love with Buffalo Trace, like Markers Mark, and Woodford Reserve. I like the Knobs Creek the best.

I do have a question.  Can anyone suggest a favorite Rye.  I have been thinking about trying one!

Edited by ou812
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
49 minutes ago, ou812 said:

If anyone has not mention Knobs Creek....I have found a liking for it.  

Their small batch is very, very good.  A bit hot, but if you find it too strong you can always open it up a little with an ice cube or splash of water.

49 minutes ago, ou812 said:

I do have a question.  Can anyone suggest a favorite Rye.  I have been thinking about trying one!

Willet Family Estate Rye is amazing.

• Like 3
If anyone has not mention Knobs Creek....I have found a liking for it.   Being a person who used to only drink Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniels black label before that.  I stopped drinking about 10 years ago.  Beer and wine would  cause pain in the lower right back.  Doctors could not figure it out.   Last year one of the Doctors I was seeing suggested alcohol to make the pain killers I was on be more effective.  So I deiced to try whisky,  which for some reason does not cause any pain.  I still keep it to a shot or two every now and then.   I fell in love with Buffalo Trace, like Markers Mark, and Woodford Reserve. I like the Knobs Creek the best.

If you can ever find it, The Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is perfection in a bottle
  • Like 1
On 7/4/2016 at 6:50 PM, Murgatroy said:

I know I am late to the party, but I am a bourbon newbie. 

I bought a bottle of Larceny on the recommendation of this thread, and I must admit it is nice and smooth.

You're never too late for this party. I found the Larceny rather tasty myself. 

5 hours ago, Raoul said:

You might also try the Whistlepig Rye. They have a 10 and a 12 year old.

I seen that today.....almost got it, but deiced on a bottle of  Willet Family Estate Rye and a bottle of their bourbon.  Thanks for the suggestions! 

• Like 1
On 7/16/2016 at 7:56 PM, ou812 said:

I seen that today.....almost got it, but deiced on a bottle of  Willet Family Estate Rye and a bottle of their bourbon.  Thanks for the suggestions! 

I actually think you made the better of the two choices. The  Willet is great.  The Whistle Pig Rye is great but the Willet is better IMO.  I find the Whistlepig products to lack the bold body I prefer.  It's just too mild for my liking.  

• Like 1

Added these two to my inventory recently. A relative in England introduced me to the Balvenie and I went to the Braunstein Distillery with my brother in law while visiting the in laws this summer in Denmark. The Balvenie is familiar to many of you, but for those who haven't tried it...it is really nice. The Braunstein bottle that I brought back is a peated single malt whisky that has won awards in International competition. I tried it while I was over there, but haven't opened the bottle yet...smokey and flavorful. [emoji106][emoji2]

ac177c04941c4369ebc54a315eb628b7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1