The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

On July 16, 2016 at 1:23 PM, ou812 said:

Thanks for the suggestions!   The Knob Creek small batch bourbon is what I have a liking for.  I will have to try their small batch Rye, Thanks!

I have a bottle of their small batch rye, very tasty. You'll not be disappointed!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Finally trying some Evan Williams 2005 Single barrel, and I'm pretty impressed. I'm thankful for the recommendations on here or else I would have never considered it.

I recently bought a bottle of the 2008 vintage that was just released last month. I was so impressed with it that I've picked up several more bottles and later found some of the 2007 vintage and a 2006 that I'll try another day. I did find a bottle of the 2005 at a shop, but they had a $36 price tag on it, which I thought was too much since I've bought all of the others for under $30. I may reconsider and go back and pick it up if it's still there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I can't seem to move beyond Larceny. At the price point, it is great. I keep walking into the bourbon aisle (which accounts for a full third of any spirits store in Kentucky) and perusing the wares. I always leave with a bottle of Larceny.

I did do a little bottle of some Bulleit the other night, and it was really good. I came close to picking it last night to replace my nightly drinks, but I didn't.

6 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I can't seem to move beyond Larceny. At the price point, it is great. I keep walking into the bourbon aisle (which accounts for a full third of any spirits store in Kentucky) and perusing the wares. I always leave with a bottle of Larceny.

I did do a little bottle of some Bulleit the other night, and it was really good. I came close to picking it last night to replace my nightly drinks, but I didn't.

Do yourself a favor and pick up an Elmer T Lee if they have one on the shelf. Square bottle.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ShamGlock said:

I just picked up a bottle of Yellow Spot and cracked into it last night. It was absolutely great!

Man, I'm jealous. I haven't found that in my area. I keep a bottle of Green Spot around and hear that Yellow Spot is incredible.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Have you seen any lately? I haven't been looking much, I have an unopened bottle that I'm saving until I know I can replace it

No I haven't. I've been watching Justified on demand and you can sorta trace the bourbon trajectory from what they're pouring.

Started out with a lot of Pappy and moved to Elmer. In one of the last season shows I noticed a Eagle Rare pour.

And remember, there's always more bourbon, and if not I can probably give you some tips on a passable substitute...lol.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Raoul said:

No I haven't. I've been watching Justified on demand and you can sorta trace the bourbon trajectory from what they're pouring.

Started out with a lot of Pappy and moved to Elmer. In one of the last season shows I noticed a Eagle Rare pour.

And remember, there's always more bourbon, and if not I can probably give you some tips on a passable substitute...lol.

haha, yeah I've got plenty of options.  Just like the Elmer, hopefully they can get more on the shelves some day

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just picked these up tonight. The Clyde Mayes was on sample and was fantastic so I bought it. The Leadslingers... it's probably rot-gut but I've heard too much hype so I'm going to find out for myself. It certainly doesn't have much of a pedigree. [emoji38]

73fc3b08db4cf1847b35b0ece623d0a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

How is it?  I really need to get out and go to the store today.

I'll find out tonight.  I have some errands to run and don't want to try it now.... it may be too good.   The lady at the store said they've been selling a lot of it.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, NextExit said:

Strong start, smooth finish :pleased: I don't see this bottle lasting long. :up:

Nice!  I will have to give it a shot soon.  Conversely, if you haven't tried the Clyde Mays Straight Bourbon Whiskey yet... you will not be disappointed.

Just picked these up tonight. The Clyde Mayes was on sample and was fantastic so I bought it. The Leadslingers... it's probably rot-gut but I've heard too much hype so I'm going to find out for myself. It certainly doesn't have much of a pedigree. [emoji38]

73fc3b08db4cf1847b35b0ece623d0a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Clyde Hays is pretty good huh? I'll have to give that a try. I gotta get to the store it's been forever since I bought some.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife & I usually drink wine with dinner a few times a month. We don't drink strong spirits often, but when we do it's usually Grand Marnier or Capt. Morgan Private Stock over ice. If it's just me I like Remy Martin 1738 Accord Royal. My most treasured spirit is a rare bottle of Clandestine Absinthe bottled that I've had since 2006. It's a beautiful Swiss La Bleu with only 1001 bottles of this first batch produced worldwide. It's been a few years since I had the chance to enjoy authentic absinthe (No matter what you've been told, the crap they sell here in the U.S. isn't true absinthe.) & I've been waiting for a special occasion to open it, but so far it sits collecting dust. http://www.alandia.de/absinthe-la-clandestine-first-batch.html

Clandestine_zps36211270.jpg

Edited by luvmyberetta

I was in Jackson's Liquors in Ashland City when I noticed the guy in another line had a pint of something that was frosting over with ice. He'd obviously gotten it from the freezer with those hip pocket bottles in it.

I asked about it and he said is was a favorite liquor when he was in the Navy. The guy behind me chimed in that the he drank a lot of it when he was in the Navy. I turned to check him out. He was an obviously long term hard drinker... bulbous red nose and squinty, watery eyes. He looked like W. C. Fields on a really bad day. 

After putting my wine in the car, on a whim I went back in to buy a bottle. I mean, how often do you get to try a liquor recommended by a sailor and an old drunk at the same time? If nothing else, it would be a good story to tell. 

I decided to get a fifth instead of a pint. When I finally found it on the bottom shelf, it was only $7.99 a fifth!  

So I bought a bottle, brought it home and put it in the freezer. I'm thinking... this is going to be really bad.

When I tried it, it was surprisingly not awful. Not great, but not bad either. In fact, I've had many worse whiskeys that cost more.

What is it, you ask?  LTD Canadian whiskey.

Edited by jgradyc