The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

I asked about it and he said is was a favorite liquor when he was in the Navy. The guy behind me chimed in that the he drank a lot of it when he was in the Navy. I turned to check him out. He was an obviously long term hard drinker... bulbous red nose and squinty, watery eyes. He looked like W. C. Fields on a really bad day. 

Your description makes it sound like you don't value opinions born from long-term experience. :D

7 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I have been REALLY wanting to try some Japanese whiskeys lately.  How is it?

Just had a glass and it is really good.  The first flavor you pick up is a little sweet and then you start picking more traditional whiskey flavors as a little heat builds and finishes with a subtle smokey flavor. The guy who sold it said it was almost a cross between a scotch and bourbon. 

I really liked it. It is pricey. They had two other Japanese whiskeys that were less expensive, in the $80 range, that he said were very good also.   I am going to try those next. 

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1
haha, yeah I've got plenty of options.  Just like the Elmer, hopefully they can get more on the shelves some day

Picked up a few bottles of Elmer T. Lee today. I've been looking for it for a while. I had my first pour this evening, and I must say that it definitely lives up to all the praises. I'll have to watch myself and just have this for an occasional pour given its scarcity, otherwise I could see the bottles becoming empty very quickly. [emoji106][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 6:02 PM, LCPfraTN said:

Picked up a few bottles of Elmer T. Lee today. I've been looking for it for a while. I had my first pour this evening, and I must say that it definitely lives up to all the praises. I'll have to watch myself and just have this for an occasional pour given its scarcity, otherwise I could see the bottles becoming empty very quickly. emoji106.pngemoji3.png

dangit I'm waiting patiently to find my next bottle but its been a long while.  Where did you find it?

dangit I'm waiting patiently to find my next bottle but its been a long while.  Where did you find it?

I found them at a couple of different shops that I regularly frequent in the Memphis area. They never hit the shelves anymore though. You have to regularly check in and ask. When the stores receive it, you may only have a few hours to maybe a couple of days before its all gone unless someone agrees to hold some for you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LCPfraTN said:

I found them at a couple of different shops that I regularly frequent in the Memphis area. They never hit the shelves anymore though. You have to regularly check in and ask. When the stores receive it, you may only have a few hours to maybe a couple of days before its all gone unless someone agrees to hold some for you.

yeah the last one I got from the back, but I haven't found a shop here in Nashville that I like enough to get to the friendly level of asking for special favors.  

• Administrator

I picked up some supplies the other day to prepare for holiday get togethers...

i-ZKg2wRq-XL.jpg

The Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky and Iwai Tradition Japanese Whisky are both superb and my first forays into Japanese whisky.  If I had to choose between one of them to buy again, it would be hard.  I'd want both.

The real surprise of this purchase was the Crown Royal Vanilla.  I am not a Crown Royal fan but this is just extremely tasty, smooth and drinkable.  Dangerously so.  I will be buying another bottle of that before Christmas gets here, I can guarantee it.

I also picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder blended Scotch.  It's not shown here, but that is a fantastic bottle of Scotch and under $35.  Worth your time to find it and try it if you like Scotch.

i-ZKg2wRq-XL.jpg
The Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky and Iwai Tradition Japanese Whisky are both superb and my first forays into Japanese whisky.  If I had to choose between one of them to buy again, it would be hard.  I'd want both.
The real surprise of this purchase was the Crown Royal Vanilla.  I am not a Crown Royal fan but this is just extremely tasty, smooth and drinkable.  Dangerously so.  I will be buying another bottle of that before Christmas gets here, I can guarantee it.
I also picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder blended Scotch.  It's not shown here, but that is a fantastic bottle of Scotch and under $35.  Worth your time to find it and try it if you like Scotch.

I haven't tried any Japanese whisky yet, but I keep looking at them when I'm shopping at liquor stores. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on one and give it a try. I have tried or have most of the others pictured. I heartily agree that Monkey Shoulder is worth the price, but it's an even better value below $30. I'm not sure I'll ever try the Crown Royal Vanilla...I'm just not a fan of sweetened, flavored whiskeys. I notice that your WR is a Cool Springs W&S store pick. I stopped in there last week when I was in the area for business. It's certainly a big store and has a lot of store picks, but I didn't think their prices were that great. I actually liked another nearby shop better, Red Dog W&S...actually made a few purchases there. They had a store pick of Stranahan's for $40!

17 hours ago, TGO David said:

i-ZKg2wRq-XL.jpg

That is good to hear about Iwai. I will have to try it. I got to try some 18yo Yamazaki the other day. Highly recommend it. 

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
15 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

I'm not sure I'll ever try the Crown Royal Vanilla...I'm just not a fan of sweetened, flavored whiskeys.

Wanted to add:  I am not a fan of flavored whiskeys in the least.  I generally shun people who think Fireball is a good drink.  But this, this is seriously tasty stuff.  You won't impress any hipsters with it, but the flavor is light and enjoyable if you like vanilla in the least.

Wanted to add:  I am not a fan of flavored whiskeys in the least.  I generally shun people who think Fireball is a good drink.  But this, this is seriously tasty stuff.  You won't impress any hipsters with it, but the flavor is light and enjoyable if you like vanilla in the least.

Oh now, you could pour it in some fancy decanter and tell them is was distilled in some backwoods craft distillery. They'd trip over their beards and flannel to get more.
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Whenever I hear someone say this tastes like Fireball I always respond..well that's what us non alcoholics call cinnamon...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

So you're saying it's perfect for getting the wife tipsy.  Duly noted.  :dirty:

• Like 4

Maybe I'll have to see if I can find a small bottle and give it a go someday. Some of the flavored and sweetened whiskeys work well as a mixer, including Fireball, but I don't usually enjoy them by themselves because they are just too sweet and syrupy. Someone gave me a bottle of Crown Royal Maple once as a gift...it took me years to drink it. I usually added regular whiskey with it to cut the sweetness, which is what I occasionally do with Fireball when I'm in the mood for that hot cinnamon bite without so much of the sweet. About two parts cheap mixer whiskey with one part Fireball makes them both better. Cheers!

I know from what I've read that some of the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection series have not been that good. However, I've now had a chance to try this year's Brandy Cask Finish that I bought a few days ago, and I have to say that it's pretty darn good. It might be a bit heavy on the wood flavor for some, but dark cherry and spice notes really accentuate the overall flavor. I liked it neat, and opted not to try it with any water. It's pricey at close to $100, but I'll probably buy more if I can find them.

• Like 1