The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Wild Turkey 101 is not on my suggested list. All heat, good buzz, no flavor. Won't buy again.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this. While it's not one that I drink all the time, I think it has the perfect amount of heat and is very flavorful. I think it's one of the best value bourbons available at the low $20 price point. Most of the bourbons I drink on a regular basis are in the $25-$40 range, but occasionally I want a value pour like WT101.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 12/26/2016 at 8:39 PM, Murgatroy said:

Wild Turkey 101 is not on my suggested list. All heat, good buzz, no flavor. Won't buy again.

Huh.  Personal preference I guess.  It's good stuff for the price.  Try Buffalo Trace the next time you've got $25 in your pocket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 5:53 AM, ShamGlock said:

Anybody know where I could pick up a bottle of Blanton's in East Tn? I can't lay hands on a bottle in Chatty, but I cover all the way up to Kingsport for work.

Bob's Liquor is where I go when I can swing a trip. We have a member who works there and they have pretty much everything and anything you can think of. 9am - 9:30pm. (865)693-2483. You can always call on your way up next time and see if they have any. 

16 hours ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

Bob's Liquor is where I go when I can swing a trip. We have a member who works there and they have pretty much everything and anything you can think of. 9am - 9:30pm. (865)693-2483. You can always call on your way up next time and see if they have any. 

Thanks, I stopped by there on my way home from Kingsport yesterday. No Blantons, but I did pick up a bottle of Yellow Spot for a great price.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 9:08 PM, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

Stopped in Monday night and they had 2 bottles this time. Now I'm all set!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TGO David said:

Zaya Gran Reserva.  It's a medium-to-dark bodied rum but still very good, and I trend towards darker rums myself.

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/1030-zaya-gran-reserva

Careful, Zaya just changed the blend in this neo classic last fall. :(  The label and the age statement both changed luckily making it easy to spot the new bottles. Gone is the "12 year old rum" changed to "a blend of 12 aged rums".

New-

Zaya_12_Rum.jpg 

VS Old-

542ed67ee52f3ce0ace32af63c9162e8.jpg

I'm currently stuck on Zacapa 23yr Solera. It's good for the price(around $50) and great straight or mixed. For slightly more affordable standouts, I prefer Plantation Barbados 5 yr, Pampero Aniversario Reserva Exclusiva in the $30ish range.

• Like 3

New here - New to TN, new to TGO, and new to Bourbon.  Over the past few days, I've read all 48 pages of this thread.  Learned a lot.

How does one get to be 60 years old and never try Bourbon? 

Except for Drambuie, which I do love, I've always been a beer drinker.  But, the wife and I went out to eat a couple months ago, and the beer selection sucked, so I ordered one of my riding buddies' favorite drinks, Makers Mark with very little ice.  Not to bad, so I tried it a few more times...Still good.

Last week I stopped into the local store where I get my beer, and on a whim bought some 70/30 Black Label from Knox Whiskey Works, which is a relatively new distillery in Knoxville.  Turns out it is a sourced product, but still pretty tasty.

I happen to live in Knoxville, and it turns out I am down by the liquor store Mike.357 works at, pretty regularly.  Hoping to stop there soon and meet him, and pick up some good beginner Bourbon to try.

Thanks for all the information, gang.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bob T said:

New here - New to TN, new to TGO, and new to Bourbon.  Over the past few days, I've read all 48 pages of this thread.  Learned a lot.

How does one get to be 60 years old and never try Bourbon? 

Except for Drambuie, which I do love, I've always been a beer drinker.  But, the wife and I went out to eat a couple months ago, and the beer selection sucked, so I ordered one of my riding buddies' favorite drinks, Makers Mark with very little ice.  Not to bad, so I tried it a few more times...Still good.

Last week I stopped into the local store where I get my beer, and on a whim bought some 70/30 Black Label from Knox Whiskey Works, which is a relatively new distillery in Knoxville.  Turns out it is a sourced product, but still pretty tasty.

I happen to live in Knoxville, and it turns out I am down by the liquor store Mike.357 works at, pretty regularly.  Hoping to stop there soon and meet him, and pick up some good beginner Bourbon to try.

Thanks for all the information, gang.

Over the last 6 months I have gone all in on Bourbon, it has become a bit of an obsession. What you're describing is pretty much exactly how I got started. 

There is nothing wrong with sourced whiskey, a lot of folks do it. Just drink what you like, how you like it. 

My only piece of advice is don't get your heart set on Elmer T Lee based off the hight praise in this thread, you'll never see a bottle in the wild!

15 hours ago, Raoul said:

Glad to be of service. lol 

Seriously, who would have thought that the best information I could find on the web, about drinking Bourbon, would be on a gun forum? 

What's the connection?  What came first, the Bourbon or the gun?

• Like 3

IMG_2430.thumb.JPG.c893a1e8d67a394af216cc245e54aded.JPGIMG_2433.thumb.JPG.d08be59d0f1e79d5f33417579a8573d8.JPGIMG_2438.thumb.JPG.4c0915aa8de299cae29c5d22b4dc5b9f.JPGIMG_2427.thumb.JPG.f8825326ed712adab463c297a93d807f.JPGIMG_2429.thumb.JPG.258a6c51cf8dceb61d40bcb8c7394410.JPGReview of the Bourbon Trail, and a few pics attached. Fair warning, I did not take a ton of pictures. 

I'll start by saying that Maker's Mark was head and shoulders above the rest, and I took 12 tours. They just knocked it out of the park. Even if you don't enjoy their products the tour is worth the trip. 

The next tier belongs to Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and Jim Beam, and Bulleit (Stitzel). They were all pretty great. Angels Envy was also surprisingly cool, well worth a stop if you're in Louisville. These I would make it a point to visit if you're on the trail, even if you don't care for their product. The drive in to Woodford is worth it alone, absolutely stunning.

The rest were all pretty meh. The tasting bar at 4 Roses is good, but the grounds are decidedly average. The remainder are fairly unremarkable, so unless you are a fan of a certain product, or are looking for an offering only sold at the distillery, I wouldn't consider them worth the time or drive. 

• Like 5