The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

First dram since this little guy came into the world. Celebratory pour for sure! I’ve been saving the last 1/4 of this bottle for something special, even before we knew we were having a baby. Nothing more fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No better reason to uncork that bottle, for sure!  Cheers!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

My wife got me this for VD. Seems there's s "whisky of the month" club like the beer of the month. The one I've tried so far was pretty good. 

i-6wQ4cW2-XL.jpg

Oh man. I read that first sentence wrong. I thought you said your wife gave you vd. Lol :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:
20 minutes ago, KahrMan said:
Oh man. I read that first sentence wrong. I thought you said your wife gave you vd. Lol default_roofle.gif

Glad I wasn't drinking when I read this. LMAO

You might have done a whisky spit-take....dangerous if the Irish myth is true. Said myth stating that after you die, you get lowered head first into a barrel of all the whisky you wasted in your life, and if you drown, you go to hell. I'm not much in jeopardy by that standard...yet.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

So whats the whiskey in the jars? Do you chose or are they sent at random? 

One sample (a double shot essentially) of three different whiskys. I'm not aware that I can choose what they send. 

This one is 2 out of 3. "A" was Breckinridge, which was good. "B" was a rye that I can't recall the maker that was ok. "C" was a single malt scotch that was ... terrible. I don't know how they made scotch taste that bad. Bitter, biting, sour, nasty aftertaste, .... The first sip gave me that cold medicine full body shiver. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, peejman said:

One sample (a double shot essentially) of three different whiskys. I'm not aware that I can choose what they send. 

This one is 2 out of 3. "A" was Breckinridge, which was good. "B" was a rye that I can't recall the maker that was ok. "C" was a single malt scotch that was ... terrible. I don't know how they made scotch taste that bad. Bitter, biting, sour, nasty aftertaste, .... The first sip gave me that cold medicine full body shiver. 

Isn't that how scotch tastes?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Isn't that how scotch tastes?

[emoji23] I used to think that too, but had one given to me a few years ago that started me down the rabbit hole of scotch exploration. There are a lot of good scotches out there and they are easier to find than some of the more sought after after bourbons.
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

emoji23.png I used to think that too, but had one given to me a few years ago that started me down the rabbit hole of scotch exploration. There are a lot of good scotches out there and they are easier to find than some of the more sought after after bourbons.

I had my fling with scotch many years ago. Just don't care to tolerate the smoked peat.

I had my fling with scotch many years ago. Just don't care to tolerate the smoked peat.

I believe that there are actually more non-peated scotches than peated ones. Give Macallan 12yo , Balvenie Doublewood 12yo, Glenmorangie Lasanta or Glendronach 12yo a try. These are all sherry cask finished or matured in sherry casks and have no smoked peat.
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

I believe that there are actually more non-peated scotches than peated ones. Give Macallan 12yo , Balvenie Doublewood 12yo, Glenmorangie Lasanta or Glendronach 12yo a try. These are all sherry cask finished or matured in sherry casks and have no smoked peat.

I'm awfully fond of the vanilla and apricot overtones in my bourbon. 

I'm awfully fond of the vanilla and apricot overtones in my bourbon. 

I didn’t say that you should stop drinking bourbon! Hell, I love bourbon too, and still drink more of it than anything else, but I enjoy exploring other things including scotch, and now I’ve gotten into “real” rums...not the sugar added liqueur put out by most of the big boys that they call rum.
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

These are what I've had before... stuff aged in sherry, wine, or port casks. Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie,... quite tasty.  I've never had a scotch that tasted like Jaegermeister before this one.  

And for the record, the scotch was Kilchoman and the rye was Few. 

Edited by peejman
28 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

I didn’t say that you should stop drinking bourbon! Hell, I love bourbon too, and still drink more of it than anything else, but I enjoy exploring other things including scotch, and now I’ve gotten into “real” rums...not the sugar added liqueur put out by most of the big boys that they call rum.

Don't worry, I understand. I did the scotch routine when I was a younger fella and have just moved on to bourbon. Actually working on my own just for fun.