The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Don't worry, I understand. I did the scotch routine when I was a younger fella and have just moved on to bourbon. Actually working on my own just for fun.

I did the scotch thing when I was younger too...just didn’t have any of the truly good stuff. Now that I’m semi-retired, I have more time and opportunity to re-explore things. Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose.
  • Like 1
These are what I've had before... stuff aged in sherry, wine, or port casks. Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie,... quite tasty.  I've never had a scotch that tasted like Jaegermeister before this one.  
And for the record, the scotch was Kilchoman and the rye was Few. 

Kilchoman is an Islay distillery and most, if not all of their scotch is peated. If you haven’t worked your way up to liking peat smoke, you may not like any of their stuff. Caol Ila is a bit milder peated scotch that you might like better, but you may just want to give Johnnie Walker Black a try to see if you like lightly peated whisky. JWB is a blended scotch, so it’s not the same as a single malt scotch, but I believe it has a small amount of Caol Ila in it to give you a sense of peat without it dominating the taste profile.

I believe all of the scotches that you indicated that you’ve had and liked are not always aged in sherry, wine etc. I’m pretty sure that the entry level scotches (10 and 12 year olds) for those brands are all just aged in used bourbon casks. However, those brands do all have older or specialty bottles that are finished in other spirit or wine casks. For instance, Glenmorangie Lasanta is the original 10 yr Glenmorangie that was matured in ex-bourbon casks that has been further finished in sherry casks...can’t remember how long it stays in the sherry cask after it’s dumped from the bourbon cask.
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You may have noticed my lack of refinement.:cool:

I also find that the cheaper the wine, the better it tastes.

Many years ago I worked for a beer and wine distributor. We once got a whole train car of wine and the whole load had shifted. We drank gallon jugs of Inglenook chablis for months.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

Kilchoman is an Islay distillery and most, if not all of their scotch is peated. If you haven’t worked your way up to liking peat smoke, you may not like any of their stuff. Caol Ila is a bit milder peated scotch that you might like better, but you may just want to give Johnnie Walker Black a try to see if you like lightly peated whisky. JWB is a blended scotch, so it’s not the same as a single malt scotch, but I believe it has a small amount of Caol Ila in it to give you a sense of peat without it dominating the taste profile.

I believe all of the scotches that you indicated that you’ve had and liked are not always aged in sherry, wine etc. I’m pretty sure that the entry level scotches (10 and 12 year olds) for those brands are all just aged in used bourbon casks. However, those brands do all have older or specialty bottles that are finished in other spirit or wine casks. For instance, Glenmorangie Lasanta is the original 10 yr Glenmorangie that was matured in ex-bourbon casks that has been further finished in sherry casks...can’t remember how long it stays in the sherry cask after it’s dumped from the bourbon cask.

Clearly you know more about it than I do.  I'd never heard of peated scotch before now.  I've tried JWB and thought it was terrible.  Now I know what to avoid. :)  

• Like 2
Clearly you know more about it than I do.  I'd never heard of peated scotch before now.  I've tried JWB and thought it was terrible.  Now I know what to avoid. default_smile.png  

You should probably stick with Speyside region scotch for now then, but be careful because some of them will occasionally have a special bottling that has some peat. For sherry finished or matured scotch, I'd recommend trying regular Macallan 12, Balvenie Doublewood 12, Glenmorangie 12, Aberlour 12, Glengoyne 12 and Glenmorangie Lasanta.

For a very reasonably priced blended malt, you may want to give Monkey Shoulder a try...you can usually find it for less than $30. It's a little young, but for the price, it's pretty darn good...not sherry finished though, so it may not be in your wheelhouse.
  • Like 1
Two good friends, Monkeyman and Mrsmonkeyman, gave me this yesterday. The question is do I open it now or wait for a special occasion...

548be90207fde157fc5c11862dfa5723.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s awesome. I say open it now and toast the gift. It’ll last for many special occasions if you chose to do so.
  • Like 1

Kahr is a really great guy that Monkey and I have gotten to know over the years from a purchase and also hanging out at the range when they did the big event with Law Enforcement Sales. He is also a guy with a big heart in the fact that he helped us with the rescue pups and he donated to help save 8 dogs that we have taken in over the years. So when you add it all together, and the fact that Monkey doesn't drink much anymore because of the new job, it just made sense the bottle go to Kahr.

I was lucky and Mike.357 actually got me some really excellent bottles of Bourbon over the course of 2015 and I spent a lot of money at Bud's building Monkey's collection. But I didn't feel right selling a bottle that I got at $73.00. Again, Kahr is a good man, so the bottle goes to my buddy. As for making friends with us, it is fairly easy. We're OK people. LOL I'd like to think. Sadly, I have no more Pappy so if it is for that purpose, don't bother. Although I do enjoy Beer and Sports and BBQ and we have a great place for those 3 things in 1 place. 

Lastly, Mike.357 is the man. He is kind, sweet and very smart. I enjoyed every moment I got to spend with him. I need to just go up and buy a few cases of wine (I'm classy sometimes) as an excuse to see him. It's been too long since I have been able to see him. But LJ's right, crack that sucker and sip it slow! :) You deserve it. I vote for 2-4 fingers once a week. That'll last you a bit. LOL No one deserves it more than you. Only request is next time you come up, stay a while and visit! Beers and BBQ! I was so jealous when Monkey got home from visiting with you. He was so excited and happy. He enjoyed the visit.

• Like 7

I will definitely crack it open and make it last. It was great getting to catch up with Monkey. We probably sat there and shot the #### for almost an hour. 

Next time we will have to time it so we all can get some pho or bbq and beers. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Tonight’s dram. e8c894d36fcb78c9238f3c164f6d0ac5.jpeg

It’s a cask strength Japanese blended whiskey. Even though the name implies it’s a single barrel it is not. It’s blended in wood casks and hence bottled from the mixing barrel not the aging barrel. But as it’s cask strength it’s got lots of punch and complex flavor. I enjoyed it a lot. Sweat on the nose. Mellowed our with a few drops of water helped tame the alcohol and open the vanilla and fruit on the palate.

This is not sold in the US I bought it locally from a guy that picked it up in Canada. I think US limits sales to specific volumes an 500cl isn’t one of the options. Regardless if you can get some I’d recommend.

• Like 3
Tonight’s dram. e8c894d36fcb78c9238f3c164f6d0ac5.jpeg

It’s a cask strength Japanese blended whiskey. Even though the name implies it’s a single barrel it is not. It’s blended in wood casks and hence bottled from the mixing barrel not the aging barrel. But as it’s cask strength it’s got lots of punch and complex flavor. I enjoyed it a lot. Sweat on the nose. Mellowed our with a few drops of water helped tame the alcohol and open the vanilla and fruit on the palate.

This is not sold in the US I bought it locally from a guy that picked it up in Canada. I think US limits sales to specific volumes an 500cl isn’t one of the options. Regardless if you can get some I’d recommend.

Supposedly Japanese whiskey is the next big thing. Was up at our corporate hq in Long Island a few weeks ago and the bartender at the Marriott I stayed at had two separate bottles to try (for the life of me, can’t remember the names of them). Good stuff, almost had a perfect middle ground taste between bourbon and scotch (sweetness but with an almost peaty aftertaste).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, MPGlock said:

Supposedly Japanese whiskey is the next big thing. Was up at our corporate hq in Long Island a few weeks ago and the bartender at the Marriott I stayed at had two separate bottles to try (for the life of me, can’t remember the names of them). Good stuff, almost had a perfect middle ground taste between bourbon and scotch (sweetness but with an almost peaty aftertaste).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would describe it exactly like that, perfect middle ground on bourbon and scotch.  Bourbon up front, scotch on the back

• Like 2
21 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I will definitely crack it open and make it last. It was great getting to catch up with Monkey. We probably sat there and shot the #### for almost an hour. 

Next time we will have to time it so we all can get some pho or bbq and beers. 

Thanks again. 

I want in on the pho

• Like 1
On 2/21/2018 at 10:42 AM, LCPfraTN said:

You should probably stick with Speyside region scotch for now then, but be careful because some of them will occasionally have a special bottling that has some peat. For sherry finished or matured scotch, I'd recommend trying regular Macallan 12, Balvenie Doublewood 12, Glenmorangie 12, Aberlour 12, Glengoyne 12 and Glenmorangie Lasanta.

For a very reasonably priced blended malt, you may want to give Monkey Shoulder a try...you can usually find it for less than $30. It's a little young, but for the price, it's pretty darn good...not sherry finished though, so it may not be in your wheelhouse.

All excellent recommendations for scotch novices. When I am introducing folks to single malts, I usually start with these, and a couple of lowland malts. Smooth, consistent, no surprises. The quickest way to turn off someone curious about scotch is to start them with Islay and Campbeltown malts. Those iterations have no training wheels.

Well we went to Knoxville today to buy Monkey a Snap On tool box. Met a great guy who was a Ford fanatic like myself. We also stopped at Bob's. I didn't see Mike, but I also didn't ask if he was there. But I did pick up some oldies that we like and then also some new things we have yet to try. 

The Smooth Ambler Contradiction is good. I can tolerate it, so it would be maybe light for some of you. I bought the Widow Jane for myself, which I will share with Monkey. The Tequila (Patron Silver and Espolon Resposado) is for me and Monkey gets the Bourbon. I bought the Bib and Tucker for him because I haven't seen it before and it looked interesting and then of course a new bottle of good ol Whistle Pig. I will NOT answer how many bottles of wine were also purchased today. But I did get a case discount if that tells you anything. LOL :cheers:

Dudes, I totally have an awesome pic but I haven't posted in a while and can't get it to show.

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
Because I am a nerd and cannot figure out how to post my photo!!
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...