The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Not tonight but I had this a few days ago when at hotel for work trip. It’s really nice. I’m shocked at how much I liked this as I’ve never really ventured into scotch.

984b7b2d88881e65a95fa67c091d2e2b.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a nice one. Since you liked it, you should give some others a try. Oban 14 has gotten to be around $70 - $80, so there are many fine single malt choices in that price range, and quite a few that are substantially cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

However it is possible to speed up the process if the wood surface to volume of whiskey ratio is upped. I did several runs using corn, corn and rye, corn and wheat. and corn,rye and wheat mash.

It's surprising what 8-12 months of small volume containers will result in. But let me say...it ain't Pappy.

11 hours ago, Raoul said:

However it is possible to speed up the process if the wood surface to volume of whiskey ratio is upped. I did several runs using corn, corn and rye, corn and wheat. and corn,rye and wheat mash.

It's surprising what 8-12 months of small volume containers will result in. But let me say...it ain't Pappy.

Vanes on the inside of the barrel, like a tumbling clothes dryer, made of old barrel staves?

And do scotch and whisky suffer from being needed to be stock still while aging?

Watching the Derby Sat., they were advertising Woodford Reserve, which they said they used for the mint julips. So, we went to the Mtns Mon thru Fri. I went to the store & got a sample bottle, just to see if I would like it. Very good, will try a larger version at some time. Not cheap tho, think it was like $ 25 for a pt.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Watching the Derby Sat., they were advertising Woodford Reserve, which they said they used for the mint julips. So, we went to the Mtns Mon thru Fri. I went to the store & got a sample bottle, just to see if I would like it. Very good, will try a larger version at some time. Not cheap tho, think it was like $ 25 for a pt.

Woodford is one of those that we will always have a bottle on-hand here at the HQ.  It's a solid staple.

11 hours ago, KahrMan said:

What Fujimo said. 

12 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I would start here :)

Soooooo, what you got ?

It's a little out of the norm. It's a Swiss Absinthe, bottled in 2005. It's an authentic Suisse La Bleue "Clandestine" & I've had it since 2006. This is it... https://www.alandia.de/absinthe-la-bleue-clandestine.html Only 1,000 bottles were produced each of the first two years, but the 2005 batch isn't numbered like the 2004 1st batch.

Here's a photo of the actual bottle...

DCyZ67a.jpg

Edited by luvmyberetta
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, KahrMan said:

Woodford is one of my favorites. Like David said, it’s  a good one to always have a bottle in the cabinet. 

Woodford was always Monkey's go to, however, lately it is Whistlepig. Which is hilarious because an 80 year old woman recommended it to me. Jefferson's is always kept in the house too. Ocean usually. I looked up at the "collection" while walking through the kitchen the other day and laughed. I think the last time I had anything to drink was when it got hot in April. It was beer... New Heights Brewery in Nashville? I was at Trader Joe's in Knoxville and ran across "Nothing Fancy". It was really cold and it was just when it was getting hot. I downed two pretty quick. I give it 2 cans up. Monkey's job keeps him busy so the liquor in the house isn't being touched. I might throw a party just to get rid of some.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I tried a bottle of JAMESON BLACK BARREL Irish whiskey at the first of the year.  I was pleasantly surprised. It has became on of my favorites.  Now have both of the  Caskmates.  They are different but very good.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2018 at 7:40 AM, Grunt67 said:

One of my old favorites. Grabbed a bottle tonight, so I thought. Turned out to be rye. It's good too.

1 minute ago, KahrMan said:

I usually drink my bourbon neat or with one ice cube. Lately I have been making myself Manhattans. Nice change of pace to mix it up every so often. 

Manhattan calls for rye. That may be where that bottle of Woodford goes. I love 'em.

• Like 1