The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well I was never one to have any kind of alcoholic drink with a meal. Tried it once at a steak house with a steak and it just would not work for me. I was a sweet tea drinker with evening meals and coffee with morning meals.

My dad is like that. Once he starts eating, the drinking stops. I’m the opposite. I can eat and drink together with no issues at all. In fact, dark chocolate and scotch whisky compliment each other fantastically. I imagine chocolate would go well with other whiskeys like bourbons and such, but I couldn’t say for sure as I don’t drink them. 

47 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

My dad is like that. Once he starts eating, the drinking stops. I’m the opposite. I can eat and drink together with no issues at all. In fact, dark chocolate and scotch whisky compliment each other fantastically. I imagine chocolate would go well with other whiskeys like bourbons and such, but I couldn’t say for sure as I don’t drink them. 

Let me just say that wine with dinner definitely works for me. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A good wine, some good cheese[ we're not talking kraft velvetta] and good bread go together for a nice relaxing atmosphere around my place. Wife and I used to do it quite often but seems not so much now, kinda miss that. Old age pretty much ruins everything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 1:59 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Oh, it got cracked open the night I got it, and shared as well. 

I know now what I like, but I don’t have the vocabulary to describe whiskys and wines. I couldn’t tell you what peaty means. What I can say is that it’s smoother than the 12, but significantly less smooth than the 18. I love the 18, I like the 15, the 12 is good, the 10 is terrible. 

I use to get the 18 before I tried some other scotches that were more malt intense. I started to notice the backend of peat the 18 had that wasnt as noticeable in the 15. Couple drops of water handles that 3 years of age in my opinion. I now like the 15 a bit better.  But I'd never say no to it if someone force one on me ;)

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Haven’t posted in awhile, but thought I’d post some interesting purchases over the past few months. I fell deep down the Scotch, bourbon and rum rabbit hole a few years ago, and spend more time with that hobby lately than I do with guns.

99E6D40D-4749-4793-89D5-5BB9112ACB09.jpeg

D4A6822B-C610-4E3C-9A7A-F7117CC9F20C.jpeg

2DC2C7CA-C03F-4EAF-A29E-96FC395863F4.jpeg

1E22A7BF-9F66-4409-B6DA-78FD7F4D6079.jpeg

487ACCED-D6D4-4229-8A13-E46C3635F6E2.jpeg

9C11F89E-6A85-4914-8131-62B42D2B6B45.jpeg

AB66CFAF-2FB0-4242-91FF-4B3ACEFB19BD.jpeg

7739E006-5703-4FE8-8C4F-4719E0273E36.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 6/18/2018 at 8:09 PM, KahrMan said:

Father’s Day gift. Supposedly this is very small batch. Anybody ever tried it?

9296DF33-4DB1-4D76-B411-24DAC6C61E5E_zps

7AB8D3FF-5E6A-4987-AECF-D5046230826E_zps

How did you like it? I had a taste of this during my Lux Row distillery tour last Spring, and liked it so much that I bought a bottle in the gift shop. I’ve picked up several more since then. 

1 hour ago, LCPfraTN said:

How did you like it? I had a taste of this during my Lux Row distillery tour last Spring, and liked it so much that I bought a bottle in the gift shop. I’ve picked up several more since then. 

Have not tried it yet. I will open it one of these days. Lol

10 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

Haven’t posted in awhile, but thought I’d post some interesting purchases over the past few months. I fell deep down the Scotch, bourbon and rum rabbit hole a few years ago, and spend more time with that hobby lately than I do with guns.

This Four Roses 130th is my newest all time favorite bourbon. Absolutely great release. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

99E6D40D-4749-4793-89D5-5BB9112ACB09.jpeg

D4A6822B-C610-4E3C-9A7A-F7117CC9F20C.jpeg

2DC2C7CA-C03F-4EAF-A29E-96FC395863F4.jpeg

487ACCED-D6D4-4229-8A13-E46C3635F6E2.jpeg

9C11F89E-6A85-4914-8131-62B42D2B6B45.jpeg

AB66CFAF-2FB0-4242-91FF-4B3ACEFB19BD.jpeg

7739E006-5703-4FE8-8C4F-4719E0273E36.jpeg

Man, that 4R 130 and Glendronach 18 have me drooling.  Did you find the 4R at retail?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Man, that 4R 130 and Glendronach 18 have me drooling.  Did you find the 4R at retail?

Yes, and I actually got lucky in a late December store raffle and was able to pick up a 2nd one at retail while earlier raffle winners passed it over and chose bottles like Weller Antique 107, Weller 12 or Elmer T Lee.  I’m trading that one with a friend for some of his older Evan Williams Single Barrel vintages. The 130th is good, but I’ve had some Four Roses Single Barrel cask strength store picks that were probably better, especially when the price is taken into consideration...even at retail.  

On 4/11/2019 at 7:07 PM, LCPfraTN said:

Yes, and I actually got lucky in a late December store raffle and was able to pick up a 2nd one at retail while earlier raffle winners passed it over and chose bottles like Weller Antique 107, Weller 12 or Elmer T Lee.  I’m trading that one with a friend for some of his older Evan Williams Single Barrel vintages. The 130th is good, but I’ve had some Four Roses Single Barrel cask strength store picks that were probably better, especially when the price is taken into consideration...even at retail.  

yeah, I can see that.  I would buy one at retail without batting an eye.  I love the flavor and mouthfeel,  Its excellent.  Let me know if you're ever interested in doing some sample swaps. I'd trade a good dram for a couple oz of that

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked some of this up recently.  I got the barrel strength and a couple of the small batch bottles.  This company has a cool back story.  It was started by a couple of Green Berets the movie 12 Strong was made about.  That is where the name came from.  The mold for the bottles was made from i-beams from the twin towers.  Below the pic is a short video about the bourbon.

fullsizeoutput-1a1b.jpg

https://www.americanfreedomdistillery.com/horse-soldier

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

That is bad and then last night you had this...

https://www.wlky.com/article/jim-beam-warehouse-filled-with-45k-barrels-of-bourbon-catches-fire/28275574

9000 barrels in the first story and 45,000 barrels in the Jim Beam fire.

Just realized that the first story was from last year.

Edited by KahrMan
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 9:28 AM, KahrMan said:

Has anyone tried Joseph Magnus Bourbon?  Saw some the other day wanted to see if anybody has had any experience with it before I drop a c note on it.

spacer.png

I like it, but this core offering is a blend of several finished bourbons, so if you’re a fan of finished whiskey, you’ll probably like it...if you’re not a fan, then maybe not. Is it worth a C-note...probably not, but everything special or limited edition in bourbon these days is getting more expensive these days. 

• Like 1