The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Stopped in at the local package store to get a bottle of I.W. Harper. Found they had Tincup, grabbed a bottle. I had read on here that it was a good bourbon. Cracked that bad boy open a little while ago and it is really smooth. Oh and I did get the I.W, Harper too.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 8:17 PM, KahrMan said:

Trying a new whiskey tonight. So far I like it. 

769-A7-ADA-458-A-41-BF-B65-E-B0-B1-A26-C

I didn’t realize they had released any of their own whiskey yet. Obviously, this is a smaller than normal size barrel and still pretty young, but I’ll be on the lookout for this if it isn’t ridiculously priced. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 9:40 PM, Erich said:

I have been enjoying this scotch for a bit. Its unpeated and for fans of malted scotches. A few drops of water opens it up nicely. Toffee notes and malty goodness that finish with a bit of spice.

20190204_122012_resized.jpg

This bottle is really nice.  Just picked one up 2 weeks ago and find it really tasty! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I may have to give up my man card but this is a delicious drink.  

Mix one shot Jim Beam, one shot Johnny Walker Red (or your favorite scotch) and about 10ozs of Fresca.  It is a very light and refreshing drink.  Kinda tastes like a Lynchburg Lemonade.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up two new bottles this weekend.  The first is the Sinatra Select Jack Daniels.  It is a little pricey but is the best Jack Daniels I have tried.  Smooth, flavorful with no burn.  

The second bottle I picked up just because they were having a tasting.  I am looking at some whiskeys and I hear this lady telling somebody about a peanut butter whiskey.  I walk over and ask Did you say Peanut Butter Whiskey?  She said yes and asked if I wanted a sample.  The disgusted look on my face made her say just try it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It is a little syrupy and kinda coats the mouth.  It has a butterscotch/caramel flavor.  I think this will be really good mixed with some hot chocolate or used to make a boozy milkshake.  I will not drink this straight but I will definitely use it as a mixer.  It is pretty cheap also, just $26.

hs-R1cqbs-Tr2f-Wynz3-K5a7g.jpg

u-W-Yz0-J6-Stu4q-QYR4-Tkwsg.jpg

• Confused 1

Kahrman,

I've tried that peanut butter whiskey...its an odd duck that's for sure.  My favorite mostly attainable "premium" drink of the past couple years is still Willett 4yr Barrel Proof Rye  (110ish)...around here in East TN I think it runs about $49ish....I prefer it over any of my $100+ and unobtanium stuff....anything Knob Creek is always solid too.  I have a Willett Family Estate 11 year bottle I wish I had never opened (worth roughly $500-700 if I hadn't) and I can say that once you get past $100 the law of diminishing returns really kicks in.  I had got it on Black Friday years ago for $110

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Kahrman,

I've tried that peanut butter whiskey...its an odd duck that's for sure.  My favorite mostly attainable "premium" drink of the past couple years is still Willett 4yr Barrel Proof Rye  (110ish)...around here in East TN I think it runs about $49ish....I prefer it over any of my $100+ and unobtanium stuff....anything Knob Creek is always solid too.  I have a Willett Family Estate 11 year bottle I wish I had never opened (worth roughly $500-700 if I hadn't) and I can say that once you get past $100 the law of diminishing returns really kicks in.  I had got it on Black Friday years ago for $110

This was my favorite bottle of Willet.

fullsizeoutput-1a8d.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That Sinatra Select Jack Daniels looks like something I would like to try. But at $130 a bottle; I’ll have to wait until I’m at someone else’s house that has it.

It is hard to find so unfortunately I paid $152.  

Raoul,

If you ever see that family select hoard it up and resell it later.  I think its good...maybe even great...but not worth what other people are willing to pay.  Trust me if you ever paid $500 or more on the secondary market and actually drank it you wouldn't be happy with that decision.  I've had Pappy 15year and while im glad I tried it...its not something I would ever hunt down for any reason except to resell it.  When big whiskey buffs come over to the house I always let them try that Willett If for nothing else so they can see what the fuss is or isn't about.  Willett pot still has become very common lately around here so I bit the bullet and bought the huge 1.75 bottle for the shelf..i don't even remember if I actually like that version lol.

3 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Raoul,

If you ever see that family select hoard it up and resell it later.  I think its good...maybe even great...but not worth what other people are willing to pay.  Trust me if you ever paid $500 or more on the secondary market and actually drank it you wouldn't be happy with that decision.  I've had Pappy 15year and while im glad I tried it...its not something I would ever hunt down for any reason except to resell it.  When big whiskey buffs come over to the house I always let them try that Willett If for nothing else so they can see what the fuss is or isn't about.  Willett pot still has become very common lately around here so I bit the bullet and bought the huge 1.75 bottle for the shelf..i don't even remember if I actually like that version lol.

The Willet Pot is the only one you can find with any regularity.

• 4 months later...

OK...question time. I've searched and found a few references to Tullamore Dew, and Irish Whiskey in several forms. I'd like to know a little about it, if anyone has a comment.

I ran across the name whilst trying to write a witty Irish style toast for my brother-in-law's birthday. Actually, I butchered and cobbled together some lines from standard Irish toasts and added a few lines of my own for flavor and to personalize it.

Anyway, I worked Tullamore Dew into a few lines and think it came out good. 

So that led me to start wondering about tasting it. lol

Not much of a drinker, but this has piqued my interests...and made my tasted buds wish to sample it.

Supposedly some Nashville area liquor stores have it(some) available, and I'll risk a drive Monday to see what's out there.

BTW, I'd post the toast here, as I'm sorta proud of it, but as it's pretty personal, and sadly probably going to be his last birthday, I won't. It did have my wife in tears, so I guess I did something right.

I've been told I can sometimes write/tell a good story. But it's mostly just being a good manure spreading artist.

Anyway...comments/recommendations are always appreciated.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1