The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, hipower said:

OK...question time. I've searched and found a few references to Tullamore Dew, and Irish Whiskey in several forms. I'd like to know a little about it, if anyone has a comment.

I ran across the name whilst trying to write a witty Irish style toast for my brother-in-law's birthday. Actually, I butchered and cobbled together some lines from standard Irish toasts and added a few lines of my own for flavor and to personalize it.

Anyway, I worked Tullamore Dew into a few lines and think it came out good. 

So that led me to start wondering about tasting it. lol

Not much of a drinker, but this has piqued my interests...and made my tasted buds wish to sample it.

Supposedly some Nashville area liquor stores have it(some) available, and I'll risk a drive Monday to see what's out there.

BTW, I'd post the toast here, as I'm sorta proud of it, but as it's pretty personal, and sadly probably going to be his last birthday, I won't. It did have my wife in tears, so I guess I did something right.

I've been told I can sometimes write/tell a good story. But it's mostly just being a good manure spreading artist.

Anyway...comments/recommendations are always appreciated.

Tullamore D.E.W. is my favorite of the Irish blends. It is way smoother than it has any right to be, especially at its price point. Also, it is non-sectarian. Whereas Jameson is the choice of Catholics and Bushmills is the choice of Protestants, everyone can drink Tullamore D.E.W. and be happy. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Tullamore D.E.W. is my favorite of the Irish blends. It is way smoother than it has any right to be, especially at its price point. Also, it is non-sectarian. Whereas Jameson is the choice of Catholics and Bushmills is the choice of Protestants, everyone can drink Tullamore D.E.W. and be happy. 

Thanks for the comments. If I can get out, and if find store open, I'll be sampling it. 

BTW Will liquor stores be open> Considered "Essential?" LOL

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Thanks for the comments. If I can get out, and if find store open, I'll be sampling it. 

BTW Will liquor stores be open> Considered "Essential?" LOL

Yes they are.  :)

On one hand I like to think that someone in government has some common sense and knows that happy subjects... I mean, citizens... are a good thing to have during tumultuous times.

On the other hand, I know that the real reason is also rooted in common sense but it's the fact that we don't need a lot of alcoholics going cold-turkey through detox and flodding our emergency rooms right now.  This is the exact same reason why hospitals usually have beer that can be dispensed by the pharmacy, to keep alcoholics from detoxing and coding.

Mercifully the rest of us get to benefit as "enthusiasts" from this provision that allows liquor stores to remain open.  :D

• Like 6
On 4/5/2020 at 12:13 AM, hipower said:

OK...question time. I've searched and found a few references to Tullamore Dew, and Irish Whiskey in several forms. I'd like to know a little about it, if anyone has a comment.

I ran across the name whilst trying to write a witty Irish style toast for my brother-in-law's birthday. Actually, I butchered and cobbled together some lines from standard Irish toasts and added a few lines of my own for flavor and to personalize it.

Anyway, I worked Tullamore Dew into a few lines and think it came out good. 

So that led me to start wondering about tasting it. lol

Not much of a drinker, but this has piqued my interests...and made my tasted buds wish to sample it.

Supposedly some Nashville area liquor stores have it(some) available, and I'll risk a drive Monday to see what's out there.

BTW, I'd post the toast here, as I'm sorta proud of it, but as it's pretty personal, and sadly probably going to be his last birthday, I won't. It did have my wife in tears, so I guess I did something right.

I've been told I can sometimes write/tell a good story. But it's mostly just being a good manure spreading artist.

Anyway...comments/recommendations are always appreciated.

I assume you’ve bought and tried Tullamore DEW by now, but if you haven’t, I definitely prefer it over regular Jameson.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LCPfraTN said:

I assume you’ve bought and tried Tullamore DEW by now, but if you haven’t, I definitely prefer it over regular Jameson.

You know I really want to like Irish, and I've got a couple of decent bottles including Clontarf, but it just seems my tastebuds keep demanding a bourbon fix.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, Raoul said:

You know I really want to like Irish, and I've got a couple of decent bottles including Clontarf, but it just seems my tastebuds keep demanding a bourbon fix.

My tastebuds start calling for my gag reflex whenever I try to drink a bourbon. Luckily, there’s plenty of both of our preferred spirits for us to kill our livers with. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Raoul said:

A good starting point for better Irish Whiskey for bourbon drinkers is Jameson Black Barrel. It’s made using recharred barrels, so you get more of the barrel influence as opposed to the regular Jameson that is just aged in used barrels without any extra charring.  

21 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

My tastebuds start calling for my gag reflex whenever I try to drink a bourbon. Luckily, there’s plenty of both of our preferred spirits for us to kill our livers with. 

Have you tried Gentleman Jack, Basil Hayden or Angels Envy? Those are all lighter style bourbons/Tennessee whiskeys that are “smoother” than many other bourbons. Obviously, they are still very different from the lighter flavor profile of Irish Whiskey, but I find them to be good recommendations for entry level bourbons for new bourbon drinkers. 

I am a lover of all spirits, but I want quality and some age on most of the things I drink. I might have a single malt scotch one night, a bourbon another night, rum the next, etc., etc. It’s all good if you find the right bottles. 

14 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

A good starting point for better Irish Whiskey for bourbon drinkers is Jameson Black Barrel. It’s made using recharred barrels, so you get more of the barrel influence as opposed to the regular Jameson that is just aged in used barrels without any extra charring.  

Have you tried Gentleman Jack, Basil Hayden or Angels Envy? Those are all lighter style bourbons/Tennessee whiskeys that are “smoother” than many other bourbons. Obviously, they are still very different from the lighter flavor profile of Irish Whiskey, but I find them to be good recommendations for entry level bourbons for new bourbon drinkers. 

I am a lover of all spirits, but I want quality and some age on most of the things I drink. I might have a single malt scotch one night, a bourbon another night, rum the next, etc., etc. It’s all good if you find the right bottles. 

I've got a bottle of that Jamison in the cabinet too. I can drink and enjoy the Irish, but I'm afraid I just prefer the corn. I've played around a bit with distilling and a corn rye mix is tasty too. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

Yeah, I’ve tried Gentleman Jack. My MIL gave me some a few years back for Christmas. It was terrible. I just don’t like bourbon/TW. 

The closest I can manage is that I really like the spiciness of a rye (Bulleit is my favorite) in an Old Fashioned. Of course that’s just correcting a bastardization since an Old Fashioned was originally made with a rye before folks started subbing in bourbons after prohibition ended. 

• 2 months later...

I have always been a bourbon or Tennessee whiskey guy. My son got me an early Father’s Day gift. A bottle of Irish Whisky.  Not bad. Very smooth but there is a flavor I can’t quite put my finger on. It will be put into rotation with my other whiskeys. 

F8812-F0-E-293-A-4-EC4-8-BDE-C91-B0873-D

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, LCPfraTN said:

Sorry for the delay in replying, but things happened. We thought a trip to see my brother-in-law was about to happen, so I delayed opening the Tullamore. Thought to sample it with him.

Sadly he passed away before we could do that. So Sunday afternoon, a neighbor friend of ours was having his big 30 Birthday. So I invited him to sample and have a couple of toasts with it.

My impression, from a very uneducated palate for alcohol, was favorable. The 43% alcohol brew, aged for a short(presumably)time in Jamacian wooden casks, was pretty smooth. A very short sweet almost fruity flavor that settled out and was very mellow to drink. We had a couple over lots of crushed ice, which disappeared quickly, and decided to call it a day.

Not big drinkers. lol

I'm saving the rest for a short toast after the memorial gathering this weekend.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

According to my last 2 distillery tours chocolate seems to be a good mate with whiskey. And these were centuries old distilleries

I do like those little booze filled chocolate bottles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

According to my last 2 distillery tours chocolate seems to be a good mate with whiskey. And these were centuries old distilleries

Didn't someone make booze filled chocolate covered cherries at one point? Maybe it was just a local place. 

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Didn't someone make booze filled chocolate covered cherries at one point? Maybe it was just a local place. 

In the past I've had home made ones that used an alcohol laced cherry cordial.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Raoul said:

In the past I've had home made ones that used an alcohol laced cherry cordial.

I have seen boutique shops use a syringe to fill these but for what they cost I'd be better off with a bag of Hershey kisses and some Talisker

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I have seen boutique shops use a syringe to fill these but for what they cost I'd be better off with a bag of Hershey kisses and some Talisker

Maybe just Hershey syrup...? lol What do I know though. I never get to drink anymore.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Maybe just Hershey syrup...? lol What do I know though. I never get to drink anymore.

Is that where you just mix it in your mouth ? Shake you head like a boxer bulldog with a itching ear ? 

• Like 1