The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

23 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I have 2oz left from my PVW15 from that year...

If you've managed to open it some time ago and make it last that long, that is pretty amazing! The 15 was one of my favs. Usually first one opened for the year. Then the 17 Eagle rare.  I had to hide it from my wife after it was opened or I wouldn't get any.

20 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I keep trying bourbon here and there but have yet to acquire a taste for it. Someday I hope to be man enough...

Anyone like Mezcal?

Well, I am not man enough for Mezcal or Tequila, so you underestimate yourself! 

Same story as to many, one night in college made it my kryptonite. Now it can turn my stomach if someone is drinking it across the table.  I dont even know why the CIA went with waterboarding when Tequila would have been much more effective at getting answers.

35 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I keep trying bourbon here and there but have yet to acquire a taste for it. Someday I hope to be man enough...

Anyone like Mezcal?

Apparently, you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of booze to understand.  😆

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, Garufa said:

Apparently, you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of booze to understand.  😆

LOL!

I've tried a few pricey bottles, but honestly, after training my liver on 750ml bottles with a good buddy, you can't beat The Glenlivet 12 year. 40 bucks, with 2 tumblers and a gift box. Get one of those and a glass of ice, it'll make you a fan.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

LOL!

I've tried a few pricey bottles, but honestly, after training my liver on 750ml bottles with a good buddy, you can't beat The Glenlivet 12 year. 40 bucks, with 2 tumblers and a gift box. Get one of those and a glass of ice, it'll make you a fan.

Now you’re speaking my language.  Nothing like a good scotch to get you properly twisted.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Now you’re speaking my language.  Nothing like a good scotch to get you properly twisted.

Good scotch or the $40 kind?  🤣

joking. I love me some monkey shoulder. Next time someone is at Trader Joes, great bottle for $30

Only $50ish at Total wine for the 1.75l

• Haha 1

Here is something of a family heirloom item. My dad bought this at Fort Ord in '74 or '75 .  I came into possession of this bottle in 2018 after my father passed. As part of my childhood, I am glad its not one of the items the step family stole as they worked over his possessions before we got down there. Some keen eye will notice scotch tape around the cap. Yes, there is a story. First the pic for those that dont care to know that story.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.dacbdfcf624e0ed619eaa80843136652.jpg

My parents like to have cocktail parties. Thought it was cute to have me try things. My dad really liked bourbon and 7's. So I got that taste way to early on. Around 1980 I started going thru their booze cabinet after school. It was just regular stuff, noting special. I would eye that beam bottle that sat with a couple other bottles on a display shelf. I had the sense they were off limits so avoided them. Thinking it was just that they were just really into league bowling back when we lived on base years before.

But the curiosity of  14 to 15 year old me couldn't take it. Why was it special other than the novelty bottle, which I didnt understand at the time. So 40ish years ago I cracked that bottle open. Smelled it. Didn't smell special. Realized better (waaaay to late!), and put the cap back on without having any. Then of course, dumped in my pants because I realized that I had broken the seal. Well, you cant see it from the front I thought, so I should be good because because I didnt take any and the level of full.

Just a few days later I found out just how wrong that thinking was. Mom noticed it dusting since she dusts under things (didnt think of that). And the words, "just wait till your dad gets home". I had not seem dad that PO'd and I got it pretty good. He put that tape around the neck and told me in no uncertain terms what would happen to me if that tape ever showed being tampered with. Apparently these were also something that he had run into back in Vietnam so that was part of the reason he got one later, not just that they were into bowling at the time.  Tape is still intact 40 years on. Any value it have had as a collectible was destroyed by me all those years ago as a teen. My wish was that when we landed out here in 2018, we would finally open it in enerst. But unfortunately he passed 6 weeks prior to my arriving. My next trip down to South GA, I plan to take this with me at pour one out at the grave site now that probate and the mess down there is finalized.

Edited by Erich
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

you gotta try the right kind.. serious. I was introduced to some of Mrrrrysvilles best a few years back, was good stuff, I will admit.

What he said. Whiskey run off a good pot still by a distiller who knows what he is doing and is running for quality not quantity is a whole different ball game compared to the rotgut sugar head most boys are running off in their basement in a tin pot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Good grief....

The police report lists 'society' as the victim. Someone's going to have to explain to me how 'society' was harmed by two adults mutually agreeing to enter into an exchange. Oh right, 'without a license': the state didn't get their cut/bribe.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Oh right, 'without a license': the state didn't get their cut/bribe.

This is exactly the states stance but shutting down secondary liquor sales doesn’t net the state one more dime. The tax was paid on the initial sale, there are no liquor store buy back plans or “used liquor store salesman” around. So I can’t see how two people both of legal age to buy alcohol can’t do so without government intervention. If the government wins this “no private sale war” they will essentially cut their tax revenue as demand will drop and liquor store prices will go down as well. The secondary potential value of these bottles is what’s driving the market and overall sales, not the drinkablilty of the whiskey.  I’d wager many fewer people willing to shell out $500 for a bottle without the option to resell for 3-4x that amount. 

• Like 2

Come on now, don't y'all feel safer. Thank you TABC for protecting us!

Seriously, this is rooted in something deeper than money. It all about control. The tax bit is just a surface item to pay for the enforcement. As pointed out there is not cut in these scenarios. Alcohol laws have a lot of history around social norms and their religion based drivers. In this case, they would go on about a licensee having he burden to ensure they are of age and so on. Keep you safe....whenever you here that garbage....its just someone wanting to control.

This community completely relates to anti gun activity as  govt over reach, politicians pandering to their majority. Maybe you have to be from one of the no blue law heathan states to appreciate it. Blue laws in the bible belt are just another form of government over reach imo. I was really blown away by things like dry counties and finding out I could not get certain beverages shipped to me here. Or that you cant buy a car on a Sunday.

Folks love to weaponized their belief systems onto others if they can get a quorom on like minded together. Its not human nature to live and let live. We must save you from yourself. Whether that be guns or alcohol or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I really don't see how liquor is any different than a gun.  If yo have a business to sell guns you need a license.  If you are an individual selling your own gun you do not.

What makes the liquor so special?

How many amendments have banned guns (yet anyway)?  Alcohol?  Prohibition history pretty much answers it I think. Good example of effects of widespread beliefs on an entire society. While not a prevalent, the same drivers exist to today, just more localized and 21st prevents them from going full nuts.  You see it in other aspects as well, such as recent events in TX.

Here that first part on guns is true, but in other states you cant sell without at least going thru a license holder. Prevailing majority opinion driven by ideology by region.  But, you can consign liquor to a licensee for sale. Essentially the hoops that those people in gun hating states have to go thru are pretty much the norm for alcohol in most places. Welcome to a taste of blue state garbage, sucks right?

Zealotry by geographic area is more diverse, maybe that is good. You can escape to some degree, but tradeoffs no doubt. More zealots hate alcohol as its to blame for mans woes, but they sure don't seem to have that same hate of guns.

Heathen blue states have soccer moms to fill the void of do-gooders  who want to impose their wills / beliefs on those things and people they see as evil or moral in danger. But those soccer moms drink like fish. So they usually don't like booze restrictions / blue laws. 

They are just looking out for your moral character and society's well being after all. I mean come one, if you could buy and sell anything freely, just think of all the bad you would be doing.  😉

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

This is why people will sell a pencil for $1500 and give them the pappy as a gift.  

And really, thats 'the answer' (short of revolution).

See the story about the San Fran store owner tired of all the theft (since they stopped arresting people who steal up to 950 dollars worth of stuff)?

Everything in the store is marked up to $951, and there are free coupons at the register that discount to regular prices.

Work within their system to stick your middle finger in their eye!!!

One carrot for sale, $500, free Glock26 included for any purchaser willing to show me a state pistol carry permit.

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Love 1
  • 6 months later...

This thread has gotten kinda quiet.  I was out today and made the mistake of stopping in to a small store in Brentwood.  I had been wanting to try Uncle Nearest and they had 2 of the bottles in stock.

I was talking to the gentleman there running the store about what high proofs he had available to taste test.  

Old Soul was 109 proof and very good.  It had that nice burn you feel up into your nose.  Then I made the mistake of trying the 16yo Calumet.  It is 106 proof but is so smooth you do not get any of the burn.  It was phenomenal and priced accordingly.

246A4843-FD3B-44DE-88DA-ABB56D374539.jpg

• Like 3