The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

This weekend at our normal stop, I saw the bottle that @KahrMan just posted about, so picked it up along with a Blue Run Reflection. Both running on the hotter end of the typical proof range.

The subdued heat sounded appealing, was curious what the flavor profile would be like as I didn't notice that mentioned. As subjective as that can be, thought I share how these struck me.

First up the Calumet. I completed agree with Kahrman's take on the proof, just the vaguest hint of it on open but nothing that suggest the number on the bottle. Nice entry of of vanilla flavors that open up to some cherry from the rye mid palette then the barrel's oak notes drop in and stay thru to the finish. First few sips found the oak lingering and dominating the profile. A few drops of water to open it up and the oak seem to taper off and leave a more balanced profile. Fished with a second smaller pour. And there was the oak again for me. few drops of water, but didn't seem to have the same effect. I suspect the higher amount of alcohol may have deadened the palate to the nuanced flavors leaving the oak to dominate.

It reminded me of how Angels Envy's heavy oak profile comes forward in the presence of more balanced offerings. If you are a love of oak and like higher proof, great choice.

The Blue Run. Simply because it was close to the Calumet and I love to do things back to back. Not as hot at 95 proof, but it to was happily restrained. No harder hit than a typical 80 proof. The familiar vanilla tones with toasted bread at entry then a rush of spice. Cinnamon with a hint of nutmeg right at the middle and holding strong thru the finish. No notable oak or barrel char. After a few sips add a few drops of water, which cuts the enjoyable entry and to a very miner degree the spice, but the cinnamon / nutmeg persist heavily thru to the end. The spice character gives a hint of burning sensation that brings it out of balance. I like this quite a a bit, being a fan of pumpkin spice and cinnamon. There is a lot going on with this one, if the spike was a little more balanced this would be getting close to an ideal for me.

Both were quite enjoyable. Probably depends on your mood or what you are having it after if by itself. For my palate I would Blue Run the nod simply as I find I less of an oak fan. Its a nice bonus that it also happens to be about $40 less.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d2015eabd77cb62237931e71bc678285.jpg

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...