The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

I have to say that the Tennessee White Whiskey, Popcorn Sutton has become my favorite American Whiskey. Recently in Edinburgh Scotland I sampled several types that I quite enjoyed, sadly I do not remember the names of them only that i enjoyed them very much :yum:

Elijah Craig 12 and 18 (you owe it to yourself to try the 18)

Bookers (now my fav over Elijah)

And eagle rare.

Are my suggestions.

I had read a couple of reviews recently that said the 18 had a few issues, and to avoid it as the 12 was better. Hopefully that batch has gone away and the 18 has improved with the new year.

I had read a couple of reviews recently that said the 18 had a few issues, and to avoid it as the 12 was better. Hopefully that batch has gone away and the 18 has improved with the new year.

The 18 I bought I got for myself as a present about 2 years ago it was better than the 12 its amazing what 6 years can do. That said I have bought the 12 year twice LOL

I'm not a big whiskey guru but I like sampling stuff down at Whiskey Kitchen near downtown Nashville. If you don't want to spring for an entire bottle its a good way to taste some of the better varieties out there. It gets a little hipster'y at night though so its better attended during the day imho.

Buffalo Trace released George T Stagg and some small batch ryes very recently. I don't expect them to last very long. We have a waiting list on the Stagg, two of them were picked up within a half hour..

I dunno about spending 80 bucks on a bottle of whisky but the two who bought it were very excited. IIRC the stuff is 140 proof.

Pappy should be in next month.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone drinking anything new? I went and finished touring the Bourbon Trail last week before I went to the machine gun shoot at Knob Creek. I really enjoyed the Four Roses Single Barrel and the 15 year old Wild Turkey American Spirit.

I have also been enjoying a bottle of Elmer T. Lee from Buffalo Trace. Good stuff for a reasonable price.

Buffalo Trace released George T Stagg and some small batch ryes very recently. I don't expect them to last very long. We have a waiting list on the Stagg, two of them were picked up within a half hour..

I dunno about spending 80 bucks on a bottle of whisky but the two who bought it were very excited. IIRC the stuff is 140 proof.

Pappy should be in next month.

Who's getting the Pappy up in the Tri-Cities?

I dunno who gets what in Tri Cities anymore, call around to some of the bigger stores there and see if they are expecting any.

I think we will get 10 or 12 bottles of the stuff, varying ages of it. The 12 year old is what everyone seems to want. Of course that is the somewhat affordable one.

From near as I can surmise the Pappy is over rated for the price and bourbon every bit its equal can be gotten for a lot less money.

I dunno who gets what in Tri Cities anymore, call around to some of the bigger stores there and see if they are expecting any.

I think we will get 10 or 12 bottles of the stuff, varying ages of it. The 12 year old is what everyone seems to want. Of course that is the somewhat affordable one.

From near as I can surmise the Pappy is over rated for the price and bourbon every bit its equal can be gotten for a lot less money.

Quite possibly so. But that 20 yr is something special.

• 2 weeks later...

Sipping some Four Roses Single Barrel right now actually. I've been keeping a fifth of it around for about two years or so now. Good stuff.

Definitely some good stuff. Got me some Belle Meade bourbon, worth trying if you haven't.

Has anyone tried Chattanooga whiskey yet ? Looking for an honest opinion before I try it. It's not yet made here in chatt yet because of an old Hamilton county law.

It is getting very rare to find any great liquor that's made by a person who makes it for the pride and not the money.

There was a time when men would compete to produce the best in an area, to them having that honor was second to money.

The shine wasn't made in aluminum submarines, and you didn't worry about lead salt, or old car radiators, or rats in the mash.

They made it for themselves and friends and if they didn't know you, you never saw a Mason jar.

I've been known to make a few pieces of copper over the years for some of the old friends in east TN, north GA, and the mountains of western NC.

Many of them are gone now, and with them a craft that will never be fully realized. One common thread with all the old makers, their rigs were solid copper from the pot, thumper keg and the condenser. And each one had their ideas as to what worked best. Some wanted double wall condensers, others used worms, but no two would be the same unless it was from the same family.

One thing that may surprise you, many of the old rigs were made with only a very minimum of solder which was 95/5 and not 50/50 when used.

Just about all the pieces were fabricated using copper rivets and hammered seams and to do this without many leaks is a craft that you'll never see again.

After doing metal fabrication for 45 years, I no longer get rough drawing from a friend, who has a friend, who needs a favor. The last copper piece I made was a model left over from scrap copper. So when I hear about good whiskey coming from a fancy bottle and cute name,

I can look over at the copper pot... and grin.

still1.jpg

• Like 2

Elijah Craig 12 and 18 (you owe it to yourself to try the 18)

Bookers (now my fav over Elijah)

And eagle rare.

Are my suggestions.

The 12yo surprised me on how good it was for the price. The 18yo is real good #### but I can't afford to drink that all the time.

Guest D.B. Cooper

Has anyone tried Chattanooga whiskey yet ? Looking for an honest opinion before I try it. It's not yet made here in chatt yet because of an old Hamilton county law.

I just stumbled across this thread... I've had it... it's okay.... I've had better, I've had much worse. If you want to try a shot of it, they serve it at Big River.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Woodford Reserve yet... one of my favorite bourbons.

Guest D.B. Cooper

I wonder if Big River in Nashville has it too. As for Woodford, it ain't bad but I don't drink it anymore. It led me to some of the better bourbons out there.

Big River is a Chattanooga based company, they might just carry it....

Woodford has led me to some better bourbons too, but Woodford is still one of my "go-to" bourbons....