The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

While looking for something else, I found this. I have a small stainless flask that I use on rare occasions. These look useful for a variety of purposes, but the topic of this thread is what first came to mind. Says it holds 5 shots but it sure looks larger than that. I've found 7.5 oz capacity listed elsewhere. Seems a typical metal flask is in the 6-8 oz range so these are comparable.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ea57/?srp=3
The local Crown Royal distributor had a party last night to introduce "Crown Royal Maple Finished"

It is pretty good stuff. The spirit to me seemed almost rum like with the maple flavor. And it is as smooth as Crown drinkers would expect from their whiskys.

I highly recommend giving a try. It ought to be a great drink on a cold winter night.

Kind of interesting that the food served was pancakes, waffles,.sausage and bacon. This stuff went great with it. Amazing to drink whisky and eat bacon and it all tasted good together.

The best part might have been the Miss Tennessee who was a hostess.

It will be in stores Friday at the latest.
  • 3 weeks later...
Picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee yesterday. Very good stuff. Hard to beat for the money.

I'm desperately looking for some Pappy or Rip Van Winkle in middle TN if anyone has any leads. People were waiting at Midtown Friday morning at 5 for the release. Theirs sold out in 26 minutes.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Raoul' timestamp='1326576335' post='695889']
Here's one.

[IMG]http://naws.com/pvw.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Old Rip Van Winkle has gotten so rare and so $$$! I had to win a lottery last December just for the privilege of buying the basic 90 proof 10 year old. I have a small stash of 107 proof 15 year old bottles but will sob when it is gone. The Lot B is also stashed but not as appealing to me.
[quote name='Jasongar8' timestamp='1354645589' post='854806']
Found these last week.

[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/jasongar8/6839984A-91CB-442F-B412-86B00DBEF98A-1358-000001927DF7F8A0.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Oh my! All found last week! You sir are my hero. Damn!
  • 1 month later...

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in the works of this "whiskey" thread.  I've gotten a taste for this, bigtime.  I got a bottle for my anniversary and another for christmas.  It's worth the money...well worth it.  Best Vodka I have ever had.  

Thank you Dan Aykroyd.  Thank you.

crystal-head-front.jpg

Edited by Caster

Old Rip Van Winkle has gotten so rare and so $$$! I had to win a lottery last December just for the privilege of buying the basic 90 proof 10 year old. I have a small stash of 107 proof 15 year old bottles but will sob when it is gone. The Lot B is also stashed but not as appealing to me.

The 20yr old is quite a treat. Cost me $185 after tax in December, though.

I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in the works of this "whiskey" thread.  I've gotten a taste for this, bigtime.  I got a bottle for my anniversary and another for christmas.  It's worth the money...well worth it.  Best Vodka I have ever had.  

Thank you Dan Aykroyd.  Thank you.

GTFO

When I was working in Edinburgh last summer, we were lucky enough to have 4 days at port to do whatever we wanted. I toured the Castle one of those days and they make some of the finest Scotch in the world in that castle. Have a look at these pictures and zoom in on the photos, there is one bottle that cost 8k Pounds, for any of you not familiar with the conversion rate that is about $13,000 US dollars! That bottle is pictured in the top left corner

No I did not get to drink that, but we did share a few bottles of the peseant priced bottles that between myself and 4 buddies we spent over $600.00 US on, anyway here is a picture

image_zps0f2b3b55.jpg

Edited by willis68

There's a beer thread on here somewhere.  Let's keep this one on topic.

Yes, you can draw a "topic line" between beer and whiskey because of the two different methods and ways they are made.

Today's whiskey has no line that's black and white, but many shades of gray. And the same can be said with all distilled liquors.

At one time you could make the same whiskey in Tennessee and Kentucky.. but only call the one from Kentucky "bourbon", because it was a legal place name and not based on the way it was made. The same can be said for Cognac.. a legal name for the brandy made around the town of Cognac in France.

Times are changing, and a label on a bottle may not tell you the real truth about what you're really drinking, how it's made, or it's true location.

Many bottles on the shelf will even have cute little names like... Apple Liquor... Peach Vodka.. or Wild Berry Gin. And some may even be called a "Whiskey" and be a blend of different type liquors or flavoring. Many will start as a neutral alcohol and end with many different names.

Rum can only be correctly called "Rum" if it's made from sugar cane... "technically". But rum has been added to whiskey to give it more of a

caramel taste.

Some liquors are made that technically doesn't fit in a true location or type so giving it a "name" can be a problem. One distiller in Indiana made a "Rum" but couldn't call it by that name because it was made from sorghum cane and not sugar cane. So they call it "Sorgrhum"...

"sweet sorghum spirit".

So.. you got a whiskey(or liquor) with a high-age number on the label? But is that number true?

Many times it's not! Many only required a percentage to be true... the rest maybe required to have a blend of no less than say 3 years aging to be able to call the higher number. And you would never believe that they would add color to off-set the difference in age... would you!?

The only way to really know what's in a bottle.. is to make it yourself!

• Like 1